Let me start here by saying I know next to nothing about tube amps.
I just bought a Valveking 212 on eBay. It's four years old and arrived stock and dusty. Now, I know people say this amp won't distort well but I mean seriously, no matter how I tweak it, EQ it or screw with the texture knob, it won't really distort at all- With the gain on 10 and boosted, the most I get is a kind of light classic rock tone, and on the clean channel it won't even go half as loud as my 10-watt Peavey Backstage. It'll get loud on the lead channel, but the distortion doesn't seem to work. All the push/pull switches respond. The tubes glow a dim dark blue like so. What's wrong?

Pics:

Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Mar 16, 2009,
I agree, the tubes should be replaced. The mere fact that it's four years old is a clear sign of that.
Quote by dudey5691
Looks like you'll be needing new tubes... (general assumption)

Did you turn it on correctly? Let it warm up?

Yessir, let it warm up for a couple minutes before flipping it off standby.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by dudey5691
Looks like you'll be needing new tubes... (general assumption)
Did you turn it on correctly? Let it warm up?

+1

Sounds like its time for a tube change... Its no metal beast by any means but it should atleast get you into the thrash realm...
^yeah - that thing needs a whole set of new tubes I bet. Guessing.

You can do it yourself...safely. Check out Page 1 of The Valveking Thread.

Take those aluminum casings of the short (preamp) tubes and then take the black metal cage off surrounding your big (power) tubes and take a better pic if you can Without the flash. The power tubes should be glowing orange at each end with a little bit of blue maybe. If they glow red or get real bright turn everything off and don't turn it on again until you take it to an
Amp Tech.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Take those aluminum casings of the short (preamp) tubes and then take the black metal cage off surrounding your big (power) tubes and take a better pic if you can
Done, in the first post. Mind you I'm taking pictures with my phone and a flashlight.
They look fine to me. Can you read me what brand and any other info off the tube. Be carefull they might be hot duh? Do you know if they are original? New tubes will bring it alive.

dougstubes.com
tubedepot.com
the tubestore.com
eurotubes.com

all for the US
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can you read me what brand and any other info off the tube?
Sovtek 6L6WXT+ and EH 12AX7s. Would the tube swap fix the problem with the volume on the clean channel?