Poll: Will e-sports pro gaming ever become mainstream?
Poll Options
View poll results: Will e-sports pro gaming ever become mainstream?
Yes
23 31%
No
51 69%
Voters: 74.
Page 1 of 2
Do you guys think e-sports pro gaming will get be as mainstream as say MLS or NHL anytime in the near future?

I'm talking about organizations like Major League Gaming and stuff like that.

Starcraft in Korea is pretty much a national sport. They broadcast games on TV on a daily basis, top gamers over there are getting paid $400,000+

Honestly, our culture is changing as time goes by, I can see it happening over here in the future. Top Halo players for MLG are getting massive contracts ($250,000+).
Last edited by S)E-Javelin at Mar 16, 2009,
What's e-sports?

EDIT: Ohh... videogames...
Last edited by joshua122593 at Mar 16, 2009,
No.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
You can't compare a dude who pushes buttons to a natural athlete. Major League Gaming will never be on the same level as real sports organizations. This is coming from a hardcore gamer and avid hater of sports.
Hopefully not.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Games =/= sports.

Which is why golf is NOT a sport.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
I'm pretty sure it's already huge in Korea. They really love their Starcraft.

But in North America, I don't see it happening any time soon.
The day they encourage kids to be extremely lazy and call it a sport, because the only way you get that good is spending obscene amounts of time on the couch, is the day I die.
Quote by Stress Cow

Yupp, Starcraft in Korea is pretty much a national sport. They broadcast games on TV on a daily basis, top gamers over there are getting paid $400,000+

Honestly, our culture is changing as time goes by, I can see it happening over here in the future. Top Halo players for MLG are getting massive contracts ($250,000+).
Definetely yes, how stupid can you be and say no?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No.

They're not really meant for spectators are they? Beside getting really pissed/stoned and watching your mate get killed hundred of times on easy mode they're not really that entertaining to watch.
Quote by Kensai
Definetely yes, how stupid can you be and say no?

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I couldn't tell -_-
Btw, of everyone that voted no, are you voting no cause you honestly don;'t see it happenign or you just don't want to see it happen?
Quote by S)E-Javelin
Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I couldn't tell -_-

I wasn't actually.

There's such a massive audience for gaming and plenty of tools that would gladly watch people game if it became popular. Just look at any MTV show, they're like a tsunami of mental retardation yet people watch them because they're on a socially acceptable channel. If they'd start airing Halo (yes, halo, because all the other games require a minimum level of intellect) as competitive gaming it would probably get alot of viewers.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Stress Cow

Golf is a skill. A very, very hard-learned skill.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black puck with sticks.

Quote by Tire Me.
Dumbledore wasn't the only headmaster that night.
Major League Gaming?

Gamebattles?

they're not in the mainstream media but it's a pretty gigantic community of hardcore gamers who do nothing but compete. some even make a job out of it by entering competitions and winning money.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Kensai
I wasn't actually.

There's such a massive audience for gaming and plenty of tools that would gladly watch people game if it became popular. Just look at any MTV show, they're like a tsunami of mental retardation yet people watch them because they're on a socially acceptable channel. If they'd start airing Halo (yes, halo, because all the other games require a minimum level of intellect) as competitive gaming it would probably get alot of viewers.

I agree, I'm assuming gaming channels like G4 are getting at least decent ratings.

Not to mention with these new generation of kids being supplied with massive waves of new age video games. I mean, you've got like 12 year old Generals on Halo 3, I think its definitely possible.
MLG is actually pretty huge already.
During Xmas break, when I was back home, I saw a couple MLG competitions on TV.

So, it already has become mainstream.
Quote by stepco12345
MLG is actually pretty huge already.
During Xmas break, when I was back home, I saw a couple MLG competitions on TV.

So, it already has become mainstream.

What channel was this? G4?
God, I hope not.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
I thought MLG went out of business?

Anyway, they may get popular but I don't think they will ever be on the same level as professional sports. It's the getting outside and going to the actual event that makes watching a game entertaining in the first place in my opinion. I would find it hard to go to a "sporting" event that I am stuck watching on a jumbotron rather than one I can sit in the stands and watch happen in real life.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by S)E-Javelin
Why?

It would just encourage people to sit on there ass and play games......
Quote by MedicreDemon

k

and?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
k

and?

AND..you're obviously ****ing retarded.
Quote by Jericho114
I thought MLG went out of business?

Anyway, they may get popular but I don't think they will ever be on the same level as professional sports. It's the getting outside and going to the actual event that makes watching a game entertaining in the first place in my opinion. I would find it hard to go to a "sporting" event that I am stuck watching on a jumbotron rather than one I can sit in the stands and watch happen in real life.

People are entertained by different forms of entertainment, you go to movies to stare at a giant screen for 2 hours, this isn't very different.

Quote by MedicreDemon

Dude, there are A LOT worse things shown on TV everyday that influences people...
Quote by S)E-Javelin
People are entertained by different forms of entertainment, you go to movies to stare at a giant screen for 2 hours, this isn't very different.

Dude, there are A LOT worse things shown on TV everyday that influences people...

So that makes it ok to have more?
Quote by MedicreDemon

I don't see why this is so unacceptable to have pro gaming go mainstream...
Quote by S)E-Javelin

I understand the differant forms of entertainment, but it's a video game. Meaning anyone with a brain and some hand eye coordination can do it.
That's why they make video games of real sports.

But if they continue to have hotdog eating contests, I don't see how this will fail.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Jericho114
I understand the differant forms of entertainment, but it's a video game. Meaning anyone with a brain and some hand eye coordination can do it. .

You can apply that with anything in the world, but obviously to be in the elite group no matter what it may be, you need talent, skills, and lots and lots of practice...
Quote by MedicreDemon
AND..you're obviously ****ing retarded.

well duh obviously

it's nice to see logic flows freely here in the pit

Quote by MedicreDemon

what's so wrong with video games? it's a form of entertainment just like television, or the movies. i'm not seeing what your gripe with video games is, unless you believe that everyone who plays video games is obviously a lazy fatass with no life. if that be the case then i'm sad to say that you're the retard here.

Quote by S)E-Javelin
You can apply that with anything in the world, but obviously to be in the elite group no matter what it may be, you need talent, skills, and lots and lots of practice...

exactly

if anyone one of you have actually played in competitive video games, you'd know that not "anyone" can do it. just like any sport, people who play more, learn the ins and outs of the game, and practice like crazy, are those who win those types of games. sports like basketball and soccer are more on the physical side, things like chess, poker, and video games have more to do with your mind.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by Waterboy799
well duh obviously

it's nice to see logic flows freely here in the pit

what's so wrong with video games? it's a form of entertainment just like television, or the movies. i'm not seeing what your gripe with video games is, unless you believe that everyone who plays video games is obviously a lazy fatass with no life. if that be the case then i'm sad to say that you're the retard here.

Keyword entertainment. Its not a sport.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Ktool The Girth

read my edit

Quote by sport

# an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
# the occupation of athletes who compete for pay

using your mind doesn't count as physical exertion?

MLG provide paid tournaments, so depending on how loose your definition of an athlete is, yes video games can be a sport. not your classical definition of a "sport", but they can be just as competitive, and grueling as any other sport there is.

i personally don't see them as a sport, but who's to exclude them from competitions? and those who like to watch the competitions? is there really something wrong with all that?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by Ktool The Girth

I don't quite see it as a sport either, but I labeled it in the thread title cause the general public has labeled pro-gaming as "e-sport".
Page 1 of 2