So I was thinking in the near future about getting some new bass toys. Before I get a new amp I would like some smaller less expensive toys lol. My only question is should I invest in a pedal board and make it grow over time or should I just buy a whole multi effects box?

The only thing I would end up using would be fuzz, delays, chorus, and octavider and a wah. So do I really need all that other stuff I would get in a multi effects pedal?

Also suggestions on brands of pedals would be nice too .
Quote by jazzbasskid
So I was thinking in the near future about getting some new bass toys. Before I get a new amp I would like some smaller less expensive toys lol. My only question is should I invest in a pedal board and make it grow over time or should I just buy a whole multi effects box?

The only thing I would end up using would be fuzz, delays, chorus, and octavider and a wah. So do I really need all that other stuff I would get in a multi effects pedal?

Also suggestions on brands of pedals would be nice too .

Single pedals are generally much better quality than multi effects. They also allow you to control the effect far more, and the masses of models available allows you to find just the sound you want.

As for brands, there are far too many to name. It also depends on your price range. If you want to go cheap and cheerful, and just have something that will do the effect well, Boss, Digitech, DOD etc. can be very good. However, if you want to spend more to get exactly what you want, there are too many brands, from higher quality mass produced ones (like some of the more expensive EHX pedals) to one man bad boutique builders (which actually may not be that expensive, but will be a lot harder to find out about and track down).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
So basically if I want to switch between effects fast then single pedals is the way to go?

Also I was looking at the EBS(anyone have experiance with these?) pedals and the Boss(know I'm going to get at least one of these).
Single pedals will serve you better over time. Even the higher end multi effects don't equal the sound you will get from single pedals.

Some of the Boss and EBS pedals are OK. I have a Boss envelope filter/autowah. But when looking at specific effects, some manufacturers are going to excel over others and it all depends on your taste and the sound you are after.
So it's pretty much like guitars and amps? Try em out before you buy?

Anyways thanks for the help, it got my main question out of the way .
yea, i third....go with the single pedals. some are famous for their circuitry i.e; boss ds-1, electro-harmonix
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Basically MFX pedals are like a cheap alternative to pedalboards...well the digital ones at least. Digital ones do alright with mod effects, but digital distortion usually ends up badly. There are a few that actually sound pretty good, but they're not cheap at all...usually like $1000+.
Nope, no sig here.
I'll defend the multi-effects pedals a little. If you're just starting to wonder about effects, I feel a cheap, reliable multi effects pedal is a good thing. Take the Zoom b2.1u for example, I bought it primarily to record to my PC with, but I also found new effects I never really thought about, the main one being a Compressor. Recently I've started messing around with the synth pedal and finding out that I may actually use one more often. Finally an octaver, without the Zoom I would never have heard the benefits of one, the added range it creates and the frequencies I can cover with one. Of course, now that i've found the general tones I want my effects pedals to have, I'm starting to buy individual pedals for the reasons stated already (Generally they have a nicer tone and give you a lot more tonal control). Effects arent really something you can read about or even watch a Youtube video on, you've got to put them into your own playing. I also think it takes a few weeks to fully explore the potential of a pedal, that's why I'm glad I got my Zoom. If you can pick up a second hand Zoom or equal pedal, they will serve you well, help you explore different effects and most importantly, they are usually very cheap. (I've seen second hand Zooms going for £35 on eBay for examlpe). I'm not discrediting individual pedals at all, I feel they are the best for what they do, but when starting out I think a multi effects pedal can really help for the future.
The Zoom's sound quality is terrible. It's much better than that ridiculous low-end Digitech processor, but come on.
If you're absolutely determined to go for a multi-effects processor, then a Boss is the way to go. I strongly recommend single pedals (especially since you're only looking ofr a handful of effects).
Some effects are easy to find used. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find the Dunlop Bass Wah used. A fuzz...maybe. I'd probably recommend a Bass Big Muff or else an MXR El Grande, depending on your taste in music (the Muff for crazier walls of mad noise, the MXR for a more straightforward fuzz). Chorus is a matter of taste... some people like the more digital Digitech bass chorus's sound, others prefer more organic sounds. You'd have to try a few bass choruses out. As for an octave pedal, I have no idea. I've never ever tried one o.O
Ok thank you all who helped. Next time I get to the guitar center I'll be spending some time with the pedals.

Also should I hold off on getting an actual board or should that be one of the first purchases(any recommendations on one)?
I say you buy your own power supply. I use a Diago powerstation, which is serving me well, and has up to 3 amps of current on tap with enough daisy chains. Also has a load of adaptors for a lot of weird pedals. However, a plug strip to hold the supplies for these weird ones may be worthwhile.

Then, get a plank of wood, and put your pedals on it. If you want to transport it, you can velcro them down. If you want it traspoirtable, you can either add handles, find/make a bag for it or make your board out of something like an old, cheap instrument case or a suitcase.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
hm, that sounds pretty easy to do even for someone like me

thank you for the advice
I saw a guy who cut part of a cardboard box off, grabbed another 2 pieces, and with some funky glue made a 3 ply pedalboard. ugly, bent a little, but effective.

I would suggest buying the fuzz and delay first, they are the most noticeable of the effects.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Any recommendations on reliable brands? If I get a fuzz I would want something like the Muse bassist(name escapes me ) in hysteria.
MXR Bass Blowtorch (for a synthier fuzz)
EHX Bass Big Muff (for the standard BH&R sound)
Wounded Paw Attack Goat(for the biamping clean lows with fuzzy highs sound)
look at bassfuzz.com also.

Digitech makes a great delay.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

When you say EHX might you mean Electro-Harmonix(sorry I am horrible with abbreviations)?

I was considering that. That is so far the only pedal I have played out of all the ones I want.
Quote by jazzbasskid
When you say EHX might you mean Electro-Harmonix(sorry I am horrible with abbreviations)?

I was considering that. That is so far the only pedal I have played out of all the ones I want.

indeed.

it gets the closest to his tone, but will sound more like Starlight than Hysteria.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by jazzbasskid
Any recommendations on reliable brands? If I get a fuzz I would want something like the Muse bassist(name escapes me ) in hysteria.

I'm no bassist, but I think for the bass part in Hysteria Chris used Two Big Muffs.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by jazzbasskid
alright thanks

Also you said the digitech made delays...were you talking about this one? http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/DigiDelay.php ...isn't that a guitar pedal and my bass would mess it up?

Unless it's Superman's bass, I don't think it's possible to "mess up" a guitar pedal with a bass.
The thing is that a guitar pedal may cause for some of your low end signal to be lost, and that's why there are different pedals for each instrument.
But the Digidelay (and Digiverb) are pretty good with low-end.
it should be cool. I think there is a specific bass delay.

I also have tried a Carbon Copy. not bad at all. the Digitech is very good, different sound however.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

I also have tried a Carbon Copy. not bad at all. the Digitech is very good, different sound however.

Well, obviously, one is analog and one is digital. The Carbon Copy is great for warm, subtle delayed tones. In truth, this is probably the pedal you should go for.
The Digidelay is great for weird, spacey drones, though =)
Quote by toyboxmonster
Well, obviously, one is analog and one is digital. The Carbon Copy is great for warm, subtle delayed tones. In truth, this is probably the pedal you should go for.
The Digidelay is great for weird, spacey drones, though =)

the copy gives an annoying little volume boost. just as a warning.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

In my experience multi effects are good and bad.
My Korg has every type of effect I would want, and I got it for damn cheap.

But the quality of effects is no-where near single pedals.
So the effects I use with it I can eventually go and buy singularly when I get a bit of scratch.

Also, I wear DMs pretty much all the time, and my feet are rather big, so I've been known to smoosh two or more buttons when I'm not concentrating playing live.

The last gig we played I turned on the chorus/delay when I meant to hit the button for light overdrive/more volume.
And to make matter worse I hit it right after when I realised... so it was really noticable a few beats into the bar when the bass usddently gets louder.

But yeh, a multieffects is good to know what you want.
Quote by the humanity
the copy gives an annoying little volume boost. just as a warning.

Really? How bad is it?
Quote by toyboxmonster
Really? How bad is it?

depends where the knobs are, but it is usually just enough to throw off your crazy guitarist.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity

Ok thanks I'll look into both of them.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Unless it's Superman's bass, I don't think it's possible to "mess up" a guitar pedal with a bass.
The thing is that a guitar pedal may cause for some of your low end signal to be lost, and that's why there are different pedals for each instrument.
But the Digidelay (and Digiverb) are pretty good with low-end.

The Digidelay works rather well with bass. I use one myself.