so, my whole band pitched in money to buy a new guitar for my rhythm guitarist. He got the money, he has enough. But now he says we are writing songs wrong and he is buying SONGWRITING LESSONS!!! I am utterly confused on that part. I believe that songwriting should be original and free and have no rules, so therefore, need no lessons. i think that is bull ****. what do you think about that?
If he DOES spend ur money on ****in lessons, take your money back (one way or another...) and tell him to get lost, cuz clearly he'll be able to write songs by himself from here on out, right?
Songwriting is a skill like any other, and it takes hard work and practice to develop. If he can find a competent teacher, good for him. That said, if the money was raised for the purpose of buying a guitar, then that's what he needs to spend it on.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Mar 16, 2009,
i agree with you dude, songwriting should be original , no rules, free...why should a guy come and tell you how to write your songs and take your money?
get the money back, fire that teacher and kick that guy out of the band.
Tell him to give the money back and if he says "Well you guys gave it to me!" say "IT WAS FOR THE GUITAR!" and if he says "Well, it's mine now..." do this

By the way, seriously, get the money back, even if you have to pressure him into it. If he misuses it you can legally sue him for all of the money, and force him to pay court appearance bills. Good luck, and may your money soon be yours again.

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Last edited by WyvernOmega at Mar 16, 2009,
we did not just give him the money lol. it was his birthday. o ya sorry forgot to let u no bt im the bassist of the band haha but ya u dont need lessons on how to write music
Get your money back and tell him that that money was meant for a guitar. Not songwriting lessons. If he has a problem with your guy'ses style than ask him ta write something better
Ironically, the whole band is more likely to benefit from someone learning how to write songs than it is to benefit from one guy having a better guitar.

Guitars don't make bands. Songs do.

That said.... he totally should have been straight up about the money, and he needs to be accountable to the band for what he is doing with the money.

And while I'll agree that songwriting is a creative process that comes from within you, I will venture to say that painting is too. So is wood carving. So is guitar playing. There is nothing wrong with a beginner learning some basic techniques, skills, philosophies, etc. so that they actually have a foundation to build upon, so that they can actually create something with a sense of purpose rather than being one of the infinite number of monkeys on one of the infinite numbers of typewriters.

I have learned SO much about songwriting and arranging and producing - all creative skills - from reading articles and talking to people and working with people who are actively involved in the process who have things they are willing to share.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thanks all. especially, axemanchris. i didnt look at it that way. though i am still kinda mad at him for lieing. but thanks
I'm not gay, a lot of people think I'm gay. I have a girlfriend, she thinks I'm gay.
Thanks newse!

@koslack - I took what was originally intended to be guitar lessons from a shred guy with a gold record and a Juno award nomination. As we got into stuff, we actually spent more time re-working some of my songs (as he was also the principal songwriter in this band, so the gold record was, to a large degree, for his work) than me learning to do whammy bar squeals and multi-finger tapping and stuff. I learned SO much from him about writing and arranging in those few months, and ultimately, I feel I'm much better off for it than if I had learned a bunch of shred techniques.

I also learned a lot about structuring guitar solos and stuff, which made more solos more musical than they would be had I just learned a bunch of speed runs.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

A good guitar teacher should be able to help a kid write snogs. Otherwise they are not a good teacher- a good teacher should encompass someone who has a deep understanding of melody and the philosophy of the instrument , so it actually might be a better idea for him to take some guitar lessons
Just because you teach guitar doesn't mean you can write songs. Go with someone with a proven track record of writing songs.

CT

I'd say kick his ass out. You guys wanted him to have a guitar, but he wants to get song writing lessons. First of all, if your song writing really lacking? Also, how do you guys know this teacher is any good? Make sure it's worth your bands money.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by axemanchris
And while I'll agree that songwriting is a creative process that comes from within you, I will venture to say that painting is too. So is wood carving. So is guitar playing. So is masturbating. There is nothing wrong with a beginner learning some basic techniques, skills, philosophies, etc. so that they actually have a foundation to build upon, so that they can actually create something with a sense of purpose rather than being one of the infinite number of monkeys on one of the infinite numbers of typewriters.

You forgot one there, buddy.

Anyway, I suggest you listen to Axemanchris, he really knows his sh*t.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Well.... it does.... erm.... come from within you....

Thanks, Helloween!

CT