My band mates and I put together enough money to buy one 400 watt 15" powered speaker. The thing is hella loud when we run music through it, but when we plug a mic into it its not as loud as I excepted it to be. I dont have a mixer so its going from the mic straight into it. This is what I was thinking;

If I bought a small mixer would this increase the volume of the mic when I added gain to it? I want to make the signal bigger of the mic, that's why music going into is so loud.

I ask is this is redundant? Would what I turn up on the mixer have to be turned down on the speaker? Would it instantly start to clip?

We are 15-18 we really dont have anymore money we can put into this.

Edit: the actual speaker has volume control, high and lows. I think that the mic doesn't have a proper pre amp that a mixer would.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Last edited by woodsballplayer at Mar 16, 2009,
why don't you bring the speaker into a shop and try it out, see if it actually works?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
If it's solely for the purpose of raising levels, don't bother with the mixer and just buy a pre-amp for the mic. You can get various levels of quality/features.

T
We bought it already, it was really the only thing we could do. We could return it but i dont think we can do much better for 330 dollars.

Sorry i forgot to mention, I'd like to add another mic into the mix so I think a small mixer would be best, no?

would a mixer raise the levels?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
First and last bump. Can someone please help me?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
You could get a preamp with two inputs, and run both mics into the speaker, or you could get a powered mixer which has preamps in it and run the mics through that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
what you need is a mic preamp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
a good little mixer would be good, especially if you ever want run bass or drums into it aswell. Ive always been taken with tapco, so look into some of their stuff. Look on ebay, i picked up a canary 12 channel mixer for 6.50.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
you see i think we might just spend the money on a small mixer with effects. We mic'd the bass drums up with just a regular vocal mic and it sounded amazing so we are going to need atleast 4 channels.

Any suggestions? Effects would be nice, just so i can have a noise gate so we dont destroy this speaker. Things don't seem to last long in the basement...
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
Last edited by woodsballplayer at Mar 17, 2009,
Why are you micing a drum set?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
the bass drums are kind of hard to hear through all the other things going on, especially when we play outside shows.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme
thanks alot! I've been looking at those. Do you know anywhere where i could get them used? I can't seem to find any used on on the bay
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

/killme