A few things:

1. I find the Kluson style tuners to look very out of place on the Gibson, nothing like sticking traditional style tuners on a radicaly shaped guitar. Then to top it off, they'll add green plastic knobs to the mix. Honestly the tuners don't hold tuning all that well during bends and such. Would you guys think a set of Grovers would look better?

2. I'm in love with the sound this V gets on distortion, but the neck pickup is not to my tastes. I'm thinking about putting an SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and moving the current bridge pickup to the neck. Or something like that, any input? I'm really curious if the biting tone is coming from the pickups or the guitar itself.

3. This kinda goes with the previous thing, the volume knob on the bridge pickup doesn't work like it should so I'm going to get inside the electronics regardless of a pickup change. I'm assuming it is wired up like a Strat with everything mounted to the pickguard, can anyone back this up? It's nice to know what you'll see before you tear into something

4. Wouldn't a white/cream pearloid pickguard look gorgeous on a Flying V?

5. I'm open to any suggestions about upgrading/repairing this guitar.

Here's the guitar so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Sry the pictures are so grainy, the camera is really old...

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
1. I find the Kluson style tuners to look very out of place on the Gibson, nothing like sticking traditional style tuners on a radicaly shaped guitar. Then to top it off, they'll add green plastic knobs to the mix. Honestly the tuners don't hold tuning all that well during bends and such. Would you guys think a set of Grovers would look better?

All opinion. I think they're fine as is.

Quote by Flux'D
2. I'm in love with the sound this V gets on distortion, but the neck pickup is not to my tastes. I'm thinking about putting an SD Pearly Gates in the bridge and moving the current bridge pickup to the neck. Or something like that, any input? I'm really curious if the biting tone is coming from the pickups or the guitar itself.

You could. Bridge pickups are hotter, and the neck would be a lot louder and more aggresive if you did this. You can do this and try it - it's not like you lose much from the experiment.

I had a thread long ago on using bridge pickups on the neck, you can probably find it if you search.
Quote by Flux'D
3. This kinda goes with the previous thing, the volume knob on the bridge pickup doesn't work like it should so I'm going to get inside the electronics regardless of a pickup change. I'm assuming it is wired up like a Strat with everything mounted to the pickguard, can anyone back this up? It's nice to know what you'll see before you tear into something

Nope. It's mounted more like a Les Paul, pups and wires into body with a pickgaurd mounted over it.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Mar 16, 2009,
I swapped out the Gibson Deluxe tuners on my Gibson V for a set of Grovers. I agree the stock ones just look out of place on a V. They look fine on a Les Paul or SG but not a V. Here's a couple pics of mine after the swap. I think they look alot better.

Quote by Flux'D
I'm assuming it is wired up like a Strat with everything mounted to the pickguard, can anyone back this up? It's nice to know what you'll see before you tear into something

Yes everything is mounted to the pickguard. You will only need to diconnect the ground wire from the bridge to remove the pickguard and electronics. I've had mine apart before so I know what I'm talkin' about.
Quote by Flux'D

I've considered that myself. If you do it post some pics.

And as far as pickups I like the stock ones myself.

I have more pics of this guitar in my profile if you want to see them.
^Yea the stock bridge pickup sounds really great, I'm just not feeling the neck one... It's not very clean sounding which is what I use the neck pickup for mostly for. Thoughts of just a JB or something come in mind for that?

I've been trying to find a pic of a Flying V with a pearloid pickguard but I'm outta luck. Seems like it would look killer though lol. And yes the Grovers look hella better, I'm really thinking about throwing a set on my Gibson now. What year is your V btw?
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

My V is an '07 model. In Faded Cherry just like yours. I've thought about changing my neck pickup but I'm not sure what to put in it to replace the 496R. I had a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck of my Epi V for a while but it wasn't really what I'm looking for. The Grovers I put on my V don't stick through the headstock as far as the original ones did. Far enough to work perfectly but I thought I'd let you know so you're not surprised when you change yours.
That's something I was gonna ask but I forgot, is changing from the Kluson to Grovers pretty straightforward? I know Grovers need a 10mm hole but I dunno what size the Kluson hole is.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The holes in the headstock are the right size. The original tuners are mounted with 2 screws. The bottom holes lined perfectly for the Grovers. You can see the other holes but they didn't show up very well in my picture in my post above. You can them better in this pic.
I actually like how the stock tuners look more than the grovers. But it's your guitar. Do whatever you like. If you want cleans, don't put the bridge pickup in the neck. The bridge pickup is very hot. I have an SG with 2 Dirty Fingers (same output according to the Gibson site). I love the distorted tone of the neck. But it doesn't clean up very well. It sounds different from most neck pickups. It's much darker and heavier. I actually prefer my neck to my bridge pickup sometimes. But if your doing it for cleans, it's not the best option. I think you should change the pickguard. Be different from the other Flying V players
The thing that kept me from putting a pearloid pickguard on mine was I couldn't find a matching truss rod cover that said Gibson on it. I thought it would look funny with a pealoid pickguard and a regular white truss rod cover with the Gibson logo or a pearloid truss rod cover with no logo at all. I'm just too picky I guess.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
The thing that kept me from putting a pearloid pickguard on mine was I couldn't find a matching truss rod cover that said Gibson on it. I thought it would look funny with a pealoid pickguard and a regular white truss rod cover with the Gibson logo or a pearloid truss rod cover with no logo at all. I'm just too picky I guess.

That's what I was thinking too. Apparently through a dealer you can order a custom truss cover but they charge $35 for it... I might end up making a pickguard for it though since I can't see spending around $90 for one

EDIT: I'm trying to find replacement tuning knobs for Grovers online with no luck. I think the Grovers with white or black knobs would balance out better than chrome knobs. It would be a halfway point between the vintage style Klusons and the modern Grovers
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 17, 2009,
Guitar is looking good! When you put in the tuners did you have to put the support screw for each tuner in at an angle? I've got new grover tuners and they fit for the most part though the bottom screw hole is a bit at an angle. The screw goes in straight but towards the end I would have to really screw it in. I don't know if I should return the tuners or if these are the best fit. The time on my ability to do a return is running out. I too wanted the chrome instead of the green gibson tulip deluxe tuners. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
You should just sell me this guitar stock instead. I would love the V to match my SG. My tuners work just great, although I have thought of replacing them for aesthetic purposes. Best of luck my good man. I think that a b/w/b pickguard with white pickups would look absolutely deadly, by the way.
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
I think any mod that can be reversed easily should be OK. Keep all the original parts to re-install later if your buyer wants original. Leaving unused holes from the tuners is preferrable to having to drill additional holes or fill and touch up to hide them (ie mucking with the finish).
It is a Gibson afterall and is an investment as well as an instrument. Just ask yourself this question before you do anyhting....."will I be able to undo the change with absolutely no way to tell it has ever been done?"
Moving on.....
I was wondering if Flux'D had to put any support screws in at an angle. He said they fitted perfectly so I'm wondering if I should look for different tuners or just put the ones on that I just got. The guy who sold them to me said these were the best fit and I'm wondering if that is true...
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

Yes everything is mounted to the pickguard. You will only need to diconnect the ground wire from the bridge to remove the pickguard and electronics. I've had mine apart before so I know what I'm talkin' about.

I've considered that myself. If you do it post some pics.

And as far as pickups I like the stock ones myself.

I have more pics of this guitar in my profile if you want to see them.

Stupid question, but how do I remove the ground wire from the bridge?

Thanks!
^This thread is old for the record, necro-threading is a no-no

I wouldn't remove the ground from the bridge, it would be a pain and it's much easier to unsolder the ground from the control pot
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

G'day mate, I have the same V as you. Leave the bridge pickup there!!! It's a brilliant pickup.
I have a Seymour Duncan Phatcat single coil in the neck and it sounds sweet, especially with cleaner tones, and it sings when soloing up the neck with full distortion.

Also have a mirror-plate pickguard on it which is pretty funky against the cherry finish.

Anyway, just some ideas from a fellow V afficianado.

p.s. - Grow a moustache, it's always a great look with a flying V.
Ummm.... like I said this thread is old as balls. The Flying V has been upgraded since this thread was made.
Here's the thread on me upgrading this guitar. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186138
And how I got it https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048616 This is a great reason why necro-threading is a bad thing...

Also, I've been sporting a mustache and facial hair ever since I could grow it.

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 29, 2009,
What ever you do keep the original parts. If you ever decide to sell it, it would be worth more with the original parts. I don't have my book here but I think they only made those Vs with the crescent moon inlays only one year (2002) and I only remember them being sold thru MARS Music. I could be wrong I don't have any info here I can check.

John

Sorry didn't see the original date of the post.
Last edited by johnro6659 at Oct 29, 2009,
My V was made in 2003, they made them all of '02 and a short bit in '03. And I still own everything that came off the V
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60