i was thinking about getting a line 6 3 75 watt and i have a ltd F-250 with emg-hzs. I love to play metal, do you guys think this is the right amp for me
get.something.better.

i have a line 6 and there not all that great,with the money you could spend on a 75 watt line 6 you can get a VERY DECENT amp!
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
The only thing worse than a line 6 spider is this:

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
So many people always recommend the Vypyr. I wonder how many have actually played one let alone seen one. I remember when they first came out and not even a week later it was THE amp everyone was recommending. Definitely not through personal experience.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
So many people always recommend the Vypyr. I wonder how many have actually played one let alone seen one. I remember when they first came out and not even a week later it was THE amp everyone was recommending. Definitely not through personal experience.

i played the all tube one. VERY good amp. I don't have money for one though as I'm in love with my Vox
line six is good
most people dont like them
because they are too modern (digital)
Quote by DSOTM80

a few people told me they had lots of problems with thiers overheating, crackling speakers, or simply fails to power on.

i myself never played one.

i never played spider 3 series but i do have the 2 series and it is ok for what it is.....a practice amp, i can get some killer tone with it if i sit there and tweak the knobs on the amp and guitar.....thank god you can save settings, plus its 5years old and still keeps going unlike alot of amps i had.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Last edited by invision2212 at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by satcre3
line six is good
most people dont like them
because they are too modern (digital)

exactly why we don't like them
its why i don't like the Orange amp that i have played. It sounded Digital to me...

Disclaimer:
This experience is from hours of playing a Rockerverb 50 at my local shop that has sat unsold for months. It could very well be a dud.
Don't get me wrong I'm not defending anything here, not defending the Spider III I just find it funny thats all. Peavey's are usually pretty good though, you can bet on them delivering a solid product.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I own a Line 6 Spider II HD150 head and I love it. I have had it for two years now and it preforms excellent both at home and on stage. I have to say I play it thru a custom PRO 4x10 cab. What you need to do is try one out and see for yourself. I tried dozens of Solid State amps Roland, Peavy, Marshalls etc and the Line 6 IMHO blew them away. I find most people are just too lazy to learn the amps setting and just don't bother a lot of people seem to put them down never even trying them because they just want to jump on the bandwagon. I had a Marshall MG 100 before the Line 6 and if your not going to buy a tube Marshall just don't bother buying one at all. I see a lot of people raving about Roland and the Cubes and truthfully I think they are one of the worse amps I have ever tried period.
Quote by Shadowplay13
^^....I'm sorry....but your an idiot.

why is he an idiot?

for liking what he likes....thats just ****ing rude
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
I guess it was a little blunt...but he says it performs excellent on stage.the only way to get it to cut through the mix is to just blast it....i find its impossible to get a tight sound.and i apoligize for the idiot remark.
No. Spiders = bad. EMG's + SS = bad. EMG's + Spider SS = The sound of angels dying as they're being raped by chainsaws. Get this instead;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15-112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483097-i1400400.gc

Tube, crankable, and British voiced. EMG's best friends.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
No. Spiders = bad. EMG's + SS = bad. EMG's + Spider SS = The sound of angels dying as they're being raped by chainsaws.

Which could be a good thing if he's going for the death metal approach...

I'm assuming the OP means a Line 6 Spider 3, which I have the 30 watt version of. I wouldn't recommend it to a serious player, I don't use it at all anymore unless my brother wants to play guitar with me. The tone sounds like something you would expect to be sold on shelves at Target.

You're better off getting a decent amp and a distortion pedal.
i wouldnt get a Line 6, out of personal experiences theyve always crapped out on me in one way or another. IF your looking for a good SS amp, cause not EVERYONE likes a Tube sound, i recommend some kind of Crate model like the blackhearts or flexwaves, ive used the Flexwave and i still do when im not in a gig. For gigging i use my Bugera 333 2x12 ( i dont do very big gigs). but the flexwave is a pretty good solidstate
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
I realy dont get it, you kids bash the line 6 amp and i would bet 98.9% of you guys never even played one before..

line 6 spider II with fbv shortboard
way to loud for home but great on stage
loved it since day one.
But yes it took me a long time to find my "sound" experiment and you'll see the light
Quote by necrosis1193
No. Spiders = bad. EMG's + SS = bad. EMG's + Spider SS = The sound of angels dying as they're being raped by chainsaws. Get this instead;

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15-112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483097-i1400400.gc

Tube, crankable, and British voiced. EMG's best friends.

Dude, use your common sense. He wants a metal sound. Blackheart is almost as bad as Fender for metal.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by DSOTM80

I've played many of them, and they are leaps and bounds better than the Line 6.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by hayes
I realy dont get it, you kids bash the line 6 amp and i would bet 98.9% of you guys never even played one before..

Im sorry sir, but since when you know what everyone else has played?

My friend now drug addict had a Spider 3 for the longest time. IT was fine by itself. But it would be lost i the mix at any show.

His friend had a Head and cabinet. he sold that after a few months, couldn't keep up with his other guitar player with a 50 watt tube stack.

I have played both of those amps plus a few in the store, and i can honestly say that i would never recommend nor buy one of these computer sounding black hunks of junk.

OK?
Quote by cohen5250
Dude, use your common sense. He wants a metal sound. Blackheart is almost as bad as Fender for metal.

At that price, 90% of amps are bad for metal. Particularly tube amps. However tubes are pretty much the only thing an EMG can sound good on. I figured a distortion pedal was assumed, since pretty much any tube amp in that pricerange will sound bad for metal without a distortion pedal as a gainstage. I was using common sense, I just assumed you had enough to understand a distortion pedal is assumed. Besides, it's better than the SS amps in that range.

Quote by hayes

Frankly I've tried many of them. All of them suck without dozens of pedals in front of it, and at that point I'd just get a better amp.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by hayes

loved it since day one.
But yes it took me a long time to find my "sound" experiment and you'll see the light

I'm not kid, and Spiders have sh*tty tone.

You've got a right to like what you like, and we've got a right to dislike what we do. It's preference.

It's just a majority of people who've played the spider amps and can't stand them. They're overly digital and processed - nothing natural sounding about it. To me, that's just not a good thing.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by hayes

loved it since day one.

one, im not a kid, im an adult whos married and with a proficient job.
two, i have played line 6 amps, simply put they've always crapped out on me, and i was never happy with my tone.
three, just because you like it doesnt mean that everyone else should to, if it appeals to your tone then good, some people like the vintage sound tubes are designed to make, some people like me like the properties of a solid state but also enjoy the sound of a tube amp, thats why they make SS amps with tube emulators.

Quote by customisbetter
isnt the blackheart an all tube amp like the V series?

lol yeah my mistake, i couldnt think of any other amp and blackheart just came to mind

Quote by necrosis1193
However tubes are pretty much the only thing an EMG can sound good on.

not completely true, on a real good SS amp an EMG can sound real good, well....then again maybe your right, cause i use Seymoure Duncan Blackouts and they sound great on my SS amp just as well as my tube amp... so i just figure EMGs are the same. i might be wrong.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by hayes

loved it since day one.

IF it takes long to get a good sound, then there's a psychological effect going on.

Your brain accepts everything after a while.

You know planes that fly over ur house that annoy you, well after a while you "won't hear em". Same with this, if you hear digital sound long enough, you will accepts it's harshness and it will go away.

Think about this for 1 sec. If you listen to a song, you instantly tell if it's a nice sound or not right?

So why does it take long for you to find a sound. First impression is what everyone will hear, subtleties later. You go the other way around, it doesn't work like that.

An amp should sound good straight plugged in, the eq-uing is just to shape the overall sound, like when you play with a bass player you turn the bass down a bit, and with a vocalists, slightly less mid/treble.

I mean seriously, 30,000 frequencies or something and you take 3 knobs with no indication of which frequencies are changed to shape sound? Gl Then you need an eq pedal with frequencies indicators, or even better is a parametric EQ.

Take an old Marshall JTM and plug ur guitar in with all the knobs on 10. It will still sound "good'.

This goes with almost any amp. The eq on an amp don't' change the sound, just which parts of the sound you hear more.

Symphony X's Michael Romeo used line 6 and his sound sucked. It's only on their recent stuff he finally uses a good setup, which you can hear very well.

I always wondered why his sound live was messed up, I'm willing to bet that the line 6 amp was part of that, seeing as he is quite an impressive player.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 17, 2009,
Lots of errors in this thread

First off: his pickups are EMG HZ's...which are passive...so they will sound fine on a SS amp...unlike their active siblings.

Second: The blackheart amps are tube, but aren't great for metal.

Third: The Line 6 is a modeling amp...and sounds like shit with pedals

TS: if you're serious about getting the Line 6 and YOU like it...then don't bother asking what other people think of it. Personally, I don't think they are terrible amps, but you can usually do MUCH better for the money, especially if you're willing to buy used. Most SS amps in this price range are shit. I used to play a MG100HDFX and it is a prime example of the sound quality you will get with these amps. Luckily, I got that used and didn't get raped for the full price... I personally don't care for the Vypyr series either. It seems to be taking the place of the Cube series as far as the bandwagon amp to recommend. If you were to give more info (budget, location, bands you like, effects you use/might use in the future, etc.) you would probably get better recommendations for better amps.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 17, 2009,
Funny, i play EMG's through a line 6 and it sounds perfectly fine to me, and ive tried Fender, Vox Orange and Marshall tube amps (i do admit that the tube amps are a whole step above the line 6) but the line 6 is not as bad as you guys make it out to be.

Then again i have never played with it live and i would probably sell it before i did. OP don't go for a Line 6 spider III 75w, go for the 30W version (yeah i know i have a 75W but it was a mistake) if you really want a spider but take into account other amps, hell don't even listen to this thread, just go down to a store and try nearly every amp they have in.

*Raises flame shield*
Quote by customisbetter

My friend now drug addict had a Spider 3 for the longest time. IT was fine by itself. But it would be lost i the mix at any show.

holy shlt! proof that using a spider turns you into a drug addict!

i knew it all along

TS: check out randalls too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
holy shlt! proof that using a spider turns you into a drug addict!

i knew it all along

TS: check out randalls too.

That was pretty awesome.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you