Page 1 of 2
I was considering getting Guitar Pro. Is it worth it? i'm not very good, but I'm practicing and I heard that it makes learning songs easier becuase it has sound and other things. Is this true? Would you guys recommend it?

Any help is appreciated!
most deff. i got it, and i love it. it is a great tool for learning songs.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
I like Power Tab just as much and it's free, so try both (I think you can do a Guitar Pro trial) and see if you really want the extra features on Guitar Pro.
Strats & Seagulls
yeah, it is a really good program. I think it's worth the $60 they charge for it. I paid for it so I wouldn't know.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by maidenfan15
I was considering getting Guitar Pro. Is it worth it? i'm not very good, but I'm practicing and I heard that it makes learning songs easier becuase it has sound and other things. Is this true? Would you guys recommend it?

Any help is appreciated!

got it
love it
I prefer it over powertab because of its features. Powertab is more of a quick learn how to play a song program, whereas with guitar pro you can really learn some technical things about a song, and its got lots of little tools you can tinker with.
Get the trial version, it's free, and try it out.
It has the basic features that Guitar Pro offers; except it forbids you to save, and might have a length restriction as to playback.

But, it'll give you some input as to wether you like it or not.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
tux guitar is a free program that is a step above power tab, but not quite as good as actual guitar pro. it does the job for me and i didn't have to pay, though.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
it's a great tool, but sometimes i get lazy and go on auto-pilot where i end up playing what i see without actually taking it in and learning it.

make sure you still break the song down bit by bit and don't rely on it too much. today i played orion by metallica in it's entirety by following the tab, then when i came to playing to a backing track i was like, lolwut?
Last edited by haz_uk at Mar 16, 2009,
It's soo worth it, it even helped me with scales and chords and I never use tabs anymore. I definitely recommend it.
Definitely worth getting. Perfect for learning the harder parts of songs you're trying to figure out. But yeah, get GP and Power Tab, as sometimes you may only be able to find the song you want on one or the other. I actually kinda hate Power Tab though. I don't like the way its setup and I find easier to follow on GP because it just simply looks a lot cleaner.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
I have Tuxguitar and it works for me just fine. It's able to open Powertabs and Guitar Pro files.

Plus its free.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try it out. And once I pay the $60, that's it forever right?
if you're still deciding, make sure you try a full version of guitar pro first.

the difference between the trial and full version is huge.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by RaggityAnne08
I have Tuxguitar and it works for me just fine. It's able to open Powertabs and Guitar Pro files.

Plus its free.

+1

Never used Guitar Pro, but TuxGuitar works great.

And yeah, it is free

Download it here:
http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by maidenfan15

Any help is appreciated!

probably one of the best purchases I have ever made
word of warning with guitar pro, well actually 2 warnings.

1. Do not just play along at full speed. You wont learn the song, and you give up easily, everyone does it trust me.

2. Be prepared to face a lot of bug if your running on a Mac like I am. It will shut down easily if you try to resize or do too many things at once.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Yep I love my guitar pro. Great part is being able to play the song at a different speed too. Helps to be able to play along with it at a slower speed so you can focus on accuracy. Other part is on the Multi-Track ones where tabbers put in the drums and bass, etc, you can mute one of the instruments like the guitar so it becomes a backing track instead for the song. Really helpful in that sense.
I've got Guitar Pro 5, and yes, it does make learning songs about 20x easier. Plus, it has tools like scales and a speed trainer. If your looking to get better at guitar faster, than defintly get GP.
Guitar Pro is so good =] makes song learning soo much easier
Quote by SkyValley
Making electric guitars unaffordable eh?

Clearly Obama is trying to phase white people music out of existence!
download tux guitar, its got basically all you need and its way better than powertab in my opinion (which i think is awful), it also plays guitarpro and powertab files.

EDIT: it's free
All my friends who are musicians, including myself, have Guitar Pro. Its great for learning songs and for writing as well, plus GP5 comes with the Real Sound Emulator, so everything doesnt just sound like a keyboard
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
i have Guitar Pro, and it's a great tool especially when it comes to chords and scales ... get it. It's worth the money.
Ibanez GRX70
Yamaha C60
I use Tux guitar which is free, and works pretty well

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
i have GP5 and didnt have to pay. lets juat say i "wired" some "Limes" to get it.
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB
i have GP5 and didnt have to pay. lets juat say i "wired" some "Limes" to get it.

Lol.

Tool.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
you don't HAVE to pay for guitar pro.

*cough* --Torr-- *cough*-- ents-- *cough*

im just telling you the options that you have. Im not saying i got it illegally or anything. Thats so stupid. why would people rip off the hardworking developers who took all that time to make the program. its just sooo.....soo...wrong.

Last edited by Steeze at Apr 19, 2009,
It is very much worth it, you can play along with it and learn the guitar parts quickly and effectively!
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Without Guitar Pro, I would probably have half the playing abilities I have now. Sometimes reading tab just doesn't give you enough information on the time perception and such, Guitar Pro is just an amazingly worthy tool.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
yea, guitar pro is good for learning songs and it's good for writing your own music.
just "to rent" it, it's worth it, but the only method of learning that works for me is just playing through it with the computer, then printing it out to memorize it, i can learn a whole song just on the computer, walk away and forget the whole thing otherwise.

edit- why the hell did you bump this you butt nugget?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Jun 24, 2009,
Quote by Fiddlin Man
yea, guitar pro is good for learning songs and it's good for writing your own music.

Necrothreading Much? Oh well at least this is a valid topic...
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
definitely worth it, the speed trainer helps more than you could imagine you can learn tough solos in a couple of hours its amazing. Try using torrents and get it for free too
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
You don't have to buy it because I downloaded it and it works fine, and I think it's a very good program to learn or make music.
Quote by vmanoman
most deff. i got it, and i love it. it is a great tool for learning songs.

ditto
In addition to all the people who are coughing, ever really tried googling for GP, of the non paying variety?
Yep.

It's great for bands too. At practice I'll show the guys the frameork of a new song, we jam on it, then I go home and put it on guitar pro and send it to the others so we can all learn it fully.

Obviously after this, the songs change by happy accidents and suggestions etc, so don't I rely on guitar pro, I just use it a starting point.
***Short Sig***
The font in tux is too small and you can't make it bigger...so it is kind of crap. Get GP.
Page 1 of 2