Hey all. Question for you: I own the new Peavey 3120 head with an Egnater 212 cab. I play in the worship and youth band in my church, along with experementing on my own in styles of rock, blues, jazz, metal, etc.

However, mainly for the worship band, I'm looking for a good distortion, or overdrive pedal. I've been doing research on the net, so I don't need to be told the difference, but I'm lloking for insight/recommendations.

I already have a good tone/crunch setting on the 3120's rhtyhm channel (gain at 1 o clock). I need a pedal that can preserve the tone I already have from the rhythm/lead channels while boosting my drive/gain so I have more distortion/sustain/harmonics, and that can also muddy, or dirty up the signal for more grit/dirt.

I'm about to return my Vox Satchurator. It's a great pedal to be sure, but WAY too much for my application, and I can't get it to sound right through my amp.

I've been looking at the Boss DS-1, and the Boss Overdrive, Super Overdrive, and Ovderive/Distortion.

I need some guidance/suggestions/ideas. the 3120 is my first all tube amp (the amp I upgraded from was a Line 6 Spider III 150 combo). Thus, I've been in the process of building my rig.

Thanks for any help/time in the matter.

Rock On!
your best bet would be to try out as many as you can. different pedals lend them self to different tastes. i am completly happy with a ts808, others prefer fulltone OCDs. also, you might want to try the bad monkey, its supposed to be real nice and fairly affordable, although ive never tried one.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It sounds like you need an boost pedal.

Menatone makes a pedal called the red snapper that I really like. You can set it as a volume boost, but it is also good with the gain control turned up. Very transparent and sweet sounding. Very little color, if any, is added to the original tone.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Uhhh.. How did you get a Peavey 3120 already?
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by al112987
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=269&CategoryID=15

All the pedals you listed will get muddy, and will color your tone to a pretty noticeable degree.

I've played the RS a ton and haven't found that it adds any color.

Anyway, the pedal in the link is supposed to be good too.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

You cant get a decent distortion from the 3120??

Try a Maxon OD808 to boost your signal and add a little more gain.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
hey man, i have a ds1 its a good pedal if you take it for what it is but it wont get you a metal sound, great rock tone though, dont know if it would work for you but i have an overdrive pedal aswell, i use both the ds1 and the overdrive together , add more distortion than overdrive and combine them both, get a pretty thick tone with it, dont know what you're after exactly though, there a prefence in how heavy you want your sound to be?
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Quote by LP51122
I've played the RS a ton and haven't found that it adds any color.

Anyway, the pedal in the link is supposed to be good too.

I didn't see the above suggestions, I was talking about the TS's questions about the DS-1, SD-1, etc.
Quote by al112987
I didn't see the above suggestions, I was talking about the TS's questions about the DS-1, SD-1, etc.

Understood, my apologies.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

hey man i play at my church as well and i use a fulldrive 2 mosfet.. and i did use an ocd..
great choices there.
In reply to LPDave, I bought the 3120 from my local GC in late Jan/early Feb. The only 3120 to hit GC stores for miles around.

They run for $999 at GC, and come with a free Windsor 4x12 (did some horse trading on the Windsor to get pedals and the Egnater 212).

About a week or two ago I visited my local GC, and they had another 3120 sitting on the floor.

Anyway, yes, I get great distortion from the 3120, but I'm looking for more mud/dirt/sustain and harmonics. Again, I'm in a church band. Some songs are softer contemporary songs that require a reserved crunch tone, while other require more drive/distortion. Plus, with my experementation and playing style, I'm looking for a pedal to take me to screaming distrotion and leads. So, I need a pedal to take the amp from crunch, to hi-gain, and above while not sacrificing to much tone from the amp.

In reply to qotsakyuss, not too heavy, I just won't more screaming distortion to make it slightly dirtier.
Last edited by PV3120 at Mar 16, 2009,
depends on how much you're willing to spend. If you wanna go quality, I say look at the Xotic AC Booster.

an OD pedal that takes your amp from crunch to hi gain is gonna color your tone regardless, IMO, b/c that's a bit of a leap. if you were just trying to go from crunch to heavy OD (not modern metal type gain) then i think you'd do fine with not coloring your tone much or at all, but an OD pedal that is gonna do what you want is gonna have to boost it quite a bit and add a good bit of preamp gain in order to take it from a crunch to a hi gain.

of course if YOUR definition of 'hi gain' is different than the typical, then it's possible that an OD pedal will do what you want without coloring it much if at all. what do you consider hi gain? band for reference please.

if you don't need to go from crunch to metalcore type gain in one boost, then i will recommend what i recommend everyone else and use myself: fulltone fulldrive II.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I can second the Fulldrive 2, great pedal. I think an AC booster or a BB preamp would do you well also.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Tubescreamer.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Thanks for all the replies/help. GREATLY appreciated! I'm looking at the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. I like the idea of having the booster function for solo's but I'll have to look into how well this thing would dirty the gain up, and get it a little grungier.
I dont know if you already stated this but what kind of Guitar and Pups are you using.

what speakers are in the Egnater?
Quote by vigenharutyunya
hmm they say the DS 1 can be used as a booster...

Not a great one.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
I was actually going to recommend the satchurator until I re-read your original post :/
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I play an Ibanez S520EX with Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85 Active Humbuckers. The Egnater has 2 Celestion Elite 80's.
After many kind, and helpful replies (thank you all), I've been researching different OD pedals to try. I plan on returning my Satchurator to GC this weekend and getting an OD. Many have suggested the Fulldrive 2 Mofset, while some suggest Danelectro, Boss, etc.

So, concerning my need, which pedal do you suggest out of this list I compiled:

1. Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet.
2. Fulltone GT-500
3. Fulltone OCD
4. Boss Overive OD-3
5. Boss Superoverdrive SD-1
6. Danelectro Transparent Overdrive

Feel free to suggest one that is not on the list. Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!
Last edited by PV3120 at Mar 18, 2009,
the 3120 (xxx) sounded pretty bad with a ts9
my two cents: it sounds better with no od. my gain is SCREAMING
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Test first dude! I'd look at Fulltone. True bypass, quality components, and hand-built (boutique) in the US can't be beat.

Don't get a Boss or Ibanez unless you get it modded.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
I'm about to return my Vox Satchurator. It's a great pedal to be sure, but WAY too much for my application, and I can't get it to sound right through my amp.

I had the same problem with the Satchurator. I love Satch so I wanted to love the pedal, but it just had way to much (harsh) gain for me even with the gain at zero. My only guess is the pedal responds better to amps with higher wattage (aka more headroom) like the JSX than it did to my 5W EVJ.

That being said, I just got a MXR Distortion III and its AMAZING. The best way to describe it is as being a combination between distortion and overdrive pedals. It can do both well and it never gets harsh at any setting. Its a very warm, full, sweet sounding pedal that just makes leads sing. For a gritter distortion, I like to run my Bad Monkey OD before it to dirty things up, and this also sounds awesome. I think the DIII would sound great into your already dirty amp; its very transparent. Take a look at one if you can.
fulltone fulldrive II.

do it.

you won't regret it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Thanks to B. Jammin, I've found the MXR Distortion III and it sounds amazing. Anyone else recommend this pedal? How's it perform for you?

Right now the two that have got my top pick is the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and the MXR Distortion III.
I'm going to recommend you look at the Danelectro Transparent OD first before making up your mind exactly, main reason being that it's a clone of the Timmy OD which is really a great overdrive and is about as transparent as you can get. It is REALLY transparent and you can get quite a bit of clean boost as well as gain boost from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JTRELAJ6QM

Best part is that's cheap as dirt. If you really want, you can look at the real Timmy OD as well, which is really great but has a long wait time. But Paul Cochrane (the guy who makes the Timmy) is a really cool guy.

I haven't tried the Dano before though, but it's been stirring up a lot of controversy due to it's nature (pretty much a copy of a boutique design at a dirt cheap price). I am planning on picking one up though to see for myself (seriously at $40 you can't really go wrong...), might even order a Timmy if I like the Dano...
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 19, 2009,
I got another one I'm throwing at you. The assistant store manager of my local GC (whom I've dealt with for years and bought alot of gear from) suggested the Zvex/Vexter Box of Rock. What do you think. Any hands on expriences?

The Assist. Manager said that he can get me a used one for 130 bucks. If that's USED< what will a new one run for?

I've heard it twice. The first time didn't sound that bad, but the second just sounded horrid. One video said it was built to mimick a marshall. I don't think I want that in my 3120.
Last edited by PV3120 at Mar 19, 2009,
Well if your ears don't like it, stay away. If you like the MXR, do it! They make great pedals. Does your local GC carry both the MXR and Fulltone? Play with them side by side.
Quote by PV3120
Thanks to B. Jammin, I've found the MXR Distortion III and it sounds amazing. Anyone else recommend this pedal? How's it perform for you?

Right now the two that have got my top pick is the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and the MXR Distortion III.

No problem man, it's a really great pedal that kinda goes under the radar. I feel like it takes the tone you already have and just adds to it rather than coloring over it completely like other distortion pedals. I really like being able to run an OD pedal before it and not have it get harsh as well. Not to mention true bypass and it's cheap.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Mar 21, 2009,