Who else here makes their own picks instead of buying them? I'd rather make my own to my own standards than buy them lol.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
wait, how do u make your picks
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by RCA1186
wait, how do u make your picks

well i use blank cd's. i cut out a crude shape of a pick then i take a file and just file it down to size.
what you make them with? how ca you do that? When my picks get old, it cut them sharper, but making them?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by alexpalka23
well i use blank cd's. i cut out a crude shape of a pick then i take a file and just file it down to size.

Wow. Your picks must suck ass and break every 5 minutes. The idea is good, but the execution is terrible.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
im sure the strength is fine, i thought i liked thick picks haha thats like holding a chunk of concrete, do you file the thickness too?
+More

they're 50 cents a peice..
and homemade ones only work if you like .80 picks
handmade jazz III's arent possible...are they?
or do you melt plastic together in mould?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by RCA1186
im sure the strength is fine, i thought i liked thick picks haha thats like holding a chunk of concrete, do you file the thickness too?

yeah, there's noway i could play with it being as thick as the cd. i file em' to about like mediums or so.
Quote by nowa90

they are very very possible. easy to make actually lol. that's usually all i make. they're just thick. i can make alot of them too because they are small and i can get alot of em out of one cd.
it seems like you put more time, effort and money making picks than it would take buying them lol but i guess whatever floats yer boat
+More

lol no i use dunlop tortex 1.14, i just dont think that using blank cd's as a pick would suit me i guess...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by alexpalka23

I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I bought a 100 pack a year ago and I'm halfway done. Cost me about $5. Enjoy cutting your hands on crappy CD picks...
Quote by RCA1186
it seems like you put more time, effort and money making picks than it would take buying them lol but i guess whatever floats yer boat

i use an electric sander for all of the hard work. i file for the fine stuff like the thickness and the contour on the sides.
Quote by UrineMist
I'm sorry but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I bought a 100 pack a year ago and I'm halfway done. Cost me about $5. Enjoy cutting your hands on crappy CD picks...

made me lolz
+More

just go buy a big pack of picks and you should be set for awhile
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by UrineMist

yeah. of course i'd cut my hands on a perfectly smooth pick that's just like any standard fender pick. idiot.
but whats the point? sure, it can be done, but are you really that cheap? i still have my first pick, and i got it years ago.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
but whats the point? sure, it can be done, but are you really that cheap? i still have my first pick, and i got it years ago.

no, i'm not cheap, i have so m any picks it's ridiculous. i like making stuff that is a little different from standard styled picks.
haha i have my first pick too, its literally round, like, round haha like a penny
+More

I've cut various plastic cards into picks. But yours looks like a shard of glass.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What a waste of time and effort, I can understand making your own amps, guitars, effects, pickups, but picks? I don't see any other reason just for the sake that you can say "I made this pick." You might as well make your own strings too.
I've made Jazz III's out of quarters.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
I've made Jazz III's out of quarters.

Defacing currency is a federal offense.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Defacing currency is a federal offense.

Sorry, this is just an image I used a while ago for another thread. I'm well aware that it's a federal offense, but they just make such nice picks...

Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by al112987
What a waste of time and effort, I can understand making your own amps, guitars, effects, pickups, but picks? I don't see any other reason just for the sake that you can say "I made this pick." You might as well make your own strings too.

I make my own strings. I get old tires from a tire shop near my house. It is important to get the right size for what string you want. For example, for my Low E string I need to get tires from fire trucks. I just unwind the string from the tire after heating it with a propane torch. Not a normal torch, I modded my BBQ with the tank from the BBQ, an air chuck as a valve and a vegetable colander as a diffuser/nozzle. Then I heat the entire tire placed on a special rig that I made from an old differential and hub off a chevy van I used to own. You have to spin it just right. The steel belt comes off real easy like when I get it heated right. It took a while to figure out how much heat it needed. I set some tires on fire and lost my eyebrows before I got the right amount of heat on it balanced with the right RPM on the spin. The other strings are all different, from the fire engine tire, full-size chevy for the A string, down to motorcycle tires for the high E. It does take some work to get them to sound the harmonics and overtones well, but they sound pretty good once I get them all polished.
Quote by nowa90

ohohhhh about the homeade jazz, i beg to differ.... i cut one frum a butter knife.... i love it
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Quote by greeny23
of all the threads to bump...
This.

Isn't there even a thread on getting free picks from Dunlop? Why go through all the trouble of making them yourself?