So I'm building myself a varitone, but I don't know what TYPE of capacitors to use (i.e. orange drop, paper in oil, etc...). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
Quote by Invader Jim
Poly film.

Bingo!

Jim's right on saying high end caps don't make a difference. Some people say they do but I am very skeptical. Its probably quite subtle.

Besides most people have their tone on ten and the cap does nothing.
Well, that's the thing. I don't use a tone knob in my guitars.
if you dont use the tone knob much you can put a different cap on there your current maximum tone will become 0 on the tone knob and you can roll it up for more tone.
So bassically rather than have tone from 0-10 you can have tone from 10-20.
Look it up on guitarnuts.com.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
That is not how it works Ian Hawkins.

What the tone pots do on a guitar is cut the treble frequencies. They can not boost any frequencies without an outside power source boosting it (battery for example).
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I'm not sure you guys understood what I said. I don't even HAVE a tone knob on my guitar. I took it out lol. That's the whole point of the varitone, to have different tonal options in place of a tone knob. And just for giggles, I'll tell you what the positions are going to be. 1: kill (no signal, for kill switch effects and noise control). 2: normal guitar signal. 3. a small boost circuit I got from homebrew electronics that's powered by a 9 volt and has a small adjustable trim pot. 4, 5, and 6 will be various capacitors, the ones I like the most (a small amount of experimentation is required here).