Im looking to upgrade to a new bass, but cannot spend more than about $400. I have looked around and played a few, and have narrowed it down to two: Schecter Omen 4-String, or Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass. Any suggestions? I play hard rock/alternative/metal in a local band (Disturbed, STP, Alice In Chains, etc.). Thanks for suggestions.
My first bass was an Omen-4. At the time, I thought it was fine, but now when I play it, I hate it. I'd get a Squier.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
for 300? Squier VM, CV, or an Ibanez. the more I play my schecter the more dissatisfied I get.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I will recommend the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass due to the fact that it's tone is perfect for the music you will be playing especially if you play a lot of root notes
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
I will recommend the Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass due to the fact that it's tone is perfect for the music you will be playing especially if you play a lot of root notes

nonsense, cut the mids and use a P-bass, way better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Of the two, I'd say the Schecter.

Quote by froggyman
Plus the P-bass doesn't sound like mud....

True...actually the J-bass has more pronounced lows than the P-bass, but the P is thumpier(is that a word?).
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by froggyman
yes i would say it is...it is the essence of a precision bass

so true, even when it growls it kinda has that thump to it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Why not an omen 5?

Just googled it. Jizzed ect ect.
If its not your first you might as well. And it's close enough to your price range.
What bass are you playing at the moment?

Ive never had any problems with T-Birds, but I stand relatively alone there. As long as know what you're getting and understand that slick jazz-fusion isnt going to happen, then forewarned is forearmed.
But for an inexpensive hard rock/metal bass, I would lean more to Ibanez, whose low-end basses are great value for money.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
I would look at Ibanez as well. Some other food for thought:

1. Used market. With the current economic situation, the used market is great for the buyer right now. There are some rather nice deals on some great basses out there.

2. Save for a better bass or your dream bass. GAS hits us all hard, but sometimes its worth waiting it out and saving for a much better "dream bass" (just ask Ben!). A great thread on this was written by Jaco de Lucia.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796496
Im currently playing an OLP 5 String with the Licensed Ernie Ball headstock. Its an awesome bass, but its just not very comfortable for me.
If its the neck, you'd be best off with Ibanez, whose necks make Kiera Knightley look fat. If its the body, you're never going to find the Thunderbird comfy.
Im not sure about Schecter necks though, but if you're looking for a comfier Musicman style bass, you could try for a second hand Musicman Sterling, which has a thinner neck (and I think a smaller body) than the Stingray (and by extension the OLP). It also delivers great rock and metal tones, as a minor bonus.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"