Hey guys,
hopefully I can get some decent answers.
There's some knowledgeable guys here, I know it.

Basically, I found this El Camino, and the guy says that the undercarriage has some rust.
This led me through a treacherous path of research trying to find out what an undercarriage is.

Basically, I now need to know the difference between
A frame,
a chassis,
and an undercarriage.

The guy also said that "the underneath the box is completely rotted out"
is he referring to the undercarriage underneath the box?
I really need some help here guys :s

Thanks.
Also...how hard would it be to fix that problem?
The elk runs, so I want to at least look into fixing it.
frame is the frame of the car. take off the hood, doors, trunk, etc., and you are left with the frame.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by Duval67
Hey guys,
hopefully I can get some decent answers.
There's some knowledgeable guys here, I know it.

Basically, I found this El Camino, and the guy says that the undercarriage has some rust.
This led me through a treacherous path of research trying to find out what an undercarriage is.

Basically, I now need to know the difference between
A frame,
a chassis,
and an undercarriage.

The guy also said that "the underneath the box is completely rotted out"
is he referring to the undercarriage underneath the box?
I really need some help here guys :s

Thanks.
Also...how hard would it be to fix that problem?
The elk runs, so I want to at least look into fixing it.

they are basically all interchangeable terms man, teh frame is the main structural component of a vehicle, and the chassis just means the frame and all associated bits of hardware, suspension, engine, tranny, axles etc... and undercarriage would imply everything below the floorboards, so essentially the chassis
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Lol. When I first glanced at the title I thought it said Cat Terminology.

She dreams in color, she dreams in red.

Quote by josh999x
A guy put a dildo on his head and shouted look i'm a unicorn.

Quote by sg255
Patrick was so slang, but Squidward was a boob waffle.
Quote by Carswell98
they are basically all interchangeable terms man, teh frame is the main structural component of a vehicle, and the chassis just means the frame and all associated bits of hardware, suspension, engine, tranny, axles etc... and undercarriage would imply everything below the floorboards, so essentially the chassis

So when he says that "underneath the box is completely rotted out" he's basically saying I'm ****ed, right?
Quote by Duval67
So when he says that "underneath the box is completely rotted out" he's basically saying I'm ****ed, right?

from that statement I'm assuming he means your framerails are hooped

in which case, the truck is indeed ****ed
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

I believe the frame is what holds the windows in place, kinda like a glassses frame. The undercarriage is under the carriage (I have no idea where the carriage is located, probably near the back) and the Chassis is some sort of odd word I've never heard of before but probably has to do with the roof, steering wheel or brake lights in some way.

Hope this post helped and that everything works out well
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Quote by Garret.
I believe the frame is what holds the windows in place, kinda like a glassses frame. The undercarriage is under the carriage (I have no idea where the carriage is located, probably near the back) and the Chassis is some sort of odd word I've never heard of before but probably has to do with the roof, steering wheel or brake lights in some way.

Hope this post helpedthat everything works out well

Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

if the frame is rusted out and rotting out it is not worth the trouble to fix unless A: you got another one strictly for parts or B: you are going to do a complete ground up restoration (in which you would need a whole new frame anyway.) Bottom line bad Frame Equals bad car i would never buy a car with a bad frame
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Last edited by machineslave at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by Carswell98
from that statement I'm assuming he means your framerails are hooped

in which case, the truck is indeed ****ed

Great.
Well, what he said in the description of the car was that it runs, but has some undercarriage rust.
Maybe he meant that the engine turns on, but the car can't go anywhere 'cause the back end is essentially the body resting on rust.