Right now I'm trying to develop some downpicking muscles so I can get to playing some Kerry King licks the right way, but is there anything I should know before I start practicing this technique?

What annoys me is old habits and having to re-learn stuff again.

I already know I should only use wrist motion and no arm movement so my arm doesn't hurt. And when you constantly downpick for awhile, should your thumb hurt? It seems to hurt by the constant pressure of the thumb onto the pick after alot of downstrokes. Is that normal? Does it go away through experience?

Thanks.
maybe you grip the pick too hard under all that stress and muscle pain. maybe that's hwy it begins to hurt. or maybe it's something not pick related like maybe you cut your nails too short or something?

i also want to know techniques to get this faster and more accurate. i played like master of puppets and are you dead yet for a freakin long time and i increased my speed by maybe only 15-20 bpm. and my stamina increased too, but not by much. any way to do it faster?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by tom708
dont grip the pick so tight

Ah, kind of tough for me to relax my hand and downpick, but I'll work up to it.

Thanks.
Quote by apak
maybe you grip the pick too hard under all that stress and muscle pain. maybe that's hwy it begins to hurt. or maybe it's something not pick related like maybe you cut your nails too short or something?

i also want to know techniques to get this faster and more accurate. i played like master of puppets and are you dead yet for a freakin long time and i increased my speed by maybe only 15-20 bpm. and my stamina increased too, but not by much. any way to do it faster?

Yeah. When my hands starts to die out on me, I might be trying too hard to keep going and gripping it too tight. I'll be more aware of that, thanks.
Same problem. I can't keep my stamina up at temos in the 150 and up range, especially palm muting 2 strings. Neverender is NOTHING BUT PALM MUTED 2 STRING CHORDS! At 170. Plus singing over that... I recorded myself and found that my palm muting is actually doing half note triplets near the end of the song because of how tired my hands are xD.

So relax the arm, pick from the wrist, and practice :/.
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace
Quote by tom708
dont grip the pick so tight

I never realized that when I'm doing some fast downpicking I let my pick really loose, so I think all the "muscle power" goes to the arm muscles instead of the fingers so you get more speed, its also a matter of practice so you'll have to practise like one week, 2 hours a day downpicking all kinds of stuff and then puff magic happens and you're done :P