I've been noticing this push for people to say "People with disabilities" instead of disabled people. The thought is that you are putting the person before the disability - the disability does not define the individual.

What do you think of this? I personally think we are just kidding ourselves. Does it really make a difference? While talking about it in my Human Development class, we were constantly being corrected, making the whole thing an even bigger deal. We even watched a documentary and one of the disabled people (see it's just natural speech?) interviewed called themselves a "disabled person" without even thinking. That makes me think they don't even think about it.

What do you make of all this?
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
cripples an retards?
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
I was once referred to as a "white person" and was really offended. I wish they would've called me a "person who is white." My race does not define me!
I think being american is a disability. and I'm american... it's like downs except worse.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
I suppose that makes sense. People with disabilities does sound less degrading.

Quote by DegaMeth
Is being American classed as a disability?

Yes, every one of the 303,824,640 Americans are as dumb as the people you see on TV/hear about in stupid news stories. There are no intelligent people in America whatsoever.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I don't think it matters. Either way, we're know who they're referring to. I think they're being over-analytical.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Since when were disabled people allowed to speak?
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Psha, I made a downs joke to one of my old teachers, he was shocked, then he laughed and said he liked it.
My school is .. well, its actually FULL of chidren with disabilities.
They say treat them equal, well, we make fun of everyone else, its only fair to mock them to.
yes, I can be a dick.
call me Shelby

Quote by breadstick

Yes, every one of the 303,824,640 Americans are as dumb as the people you see on TV/hear about in stupid news stories. There are no intelligent people in America whatsoever.

Oh yeah, just like they are no crooks in Land of Crooks/Austrailia.
FFS, all they're doing is making it take twice as long to say. And as if the order you say "person" and "disability" in is going to matter to anyone.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Who cares? it's not like political correctness is determined by law, so we can use whatever term we like. "Disabled people" is in no way a politically incorrect term in my opinion, as it states nothing but a plain fact: people with disabilities are disabled people. If that's insulting to someone, then they can spend their own time getting all worked up about it.
My dad is disabled...

I just call him dad

But seriously, i could care less.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Garret.
Since when were disabled people allowed to speak?

Kensai would be proud

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
ok so....let me get this straight....your asking the PIT!, about disabi-
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
silly really, as everything makes you who you are, your disability included. I'm disabled, and all these over the top political correct terms just irritate me. I'm perfectly happy to be called a disabled person, because that's what I am. I really don't care whether I am treated the same as everyone else, I'm just treated as who I am.
Quote by barb3rman
the disability does not define the individual.

Well, it... can...
People can recollect people however they wish surely? It may not be a positive aspect about them, but if that's how they remember them then why is that a bad thing?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by breadstick

What exactly is degrading about being called a disabled person. To be blunt, it is simply stating a fact and if the person does not like it they can blame their parents and their crappy gene's, blame God or Allah or some omnipotent being for cursing them with thier fate, or blame some incompetent doctor for dropping him/her when born. I am nearly deaf and have no problem with someone saying so. Its just a semantic game that people play to make themselves seem more enlightened. Whatever, as long as you are not calling someone something with the obvious intent of degrading them, like calling someone a tard, then just spit it out and call someone what they are: blind, deaf, quadrapalegic, having downs syndrome or whatever. There are disabled. Personally I consider myself to be damaged goods; sounds better, like a bargain basement iPod.