Hey everyone,

I just wanted to hear some opinions on a very nice overdrive pedal for my Fender Hot Rod DeVille. If you've played the DeVille, or any other Fender amp for that matter, you know the distortion isn't the best thing, even with a drive/more-drive channel. Instead, I feel like a nice overdrive pedal could boost the gain a bit more to give it what it's missing. I don't want a distortion pedal that basically masks the sound of my amp (gives no transparency) to give a sound all its own, I have one of those already. I want to know if anyone has any ideas for a nice transparent, but hi-gain overdrive pedal for about under $200.

Thanks!
Hm. Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 might do what you want, but I'd think a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET or OCD would do the trick.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
ibanez ts-9. maxon OD-9 because it's like ts-9 w/ more balls i guess. OCD is god too
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
If you do a TS-9, the Maxon and the Keeley are worlds better than the Ibanez.

Don't judge me.
Fulltone Fulldrive II. i use a non mosfet model, but it still has the switching between traditional TS, TS without mid hump, and transparent clean boost.

i'm in love with mine....it's perfect. perfect for just boosting your amp a little, fattening it up, or taking it to the next level.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I heard that the OCD is very amp specific... Does anyone know if this will go well with my HRD? And how's the Hardwire CM-2 from Digitech?

Thanks.
Hardwire pedals are pretty great, especially considering they're made by Digitech, but the OCD would pair quite nicely with your HRD.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Hm. Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 might do what you want, but I'd think a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET or OCD would do the trick.

+1
I'm of the opinion that the Fulldrive 2 MOSFET is about twice as useful as the OCD. The OCD is certainly great sometimes, but the Fulldrive sounds fantastic and is way more versatile.

The Maxon OD-9 is the same basic circuit as the Ibanez TS-9, but built with better components and a true bypass switch.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I've had this for a couple of months and rarely turn it off.

http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/70
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
If you wanna go cheap check out the dano cool cat drive (OCD clone supposedly) and the Transparent OD. They'll probably be a bit noisy, but for 30 bucks that's excusable.

Full drive 2 is a good choice. BB preamp is a good probably a good choice as well, though I haven't had the chance to try one so I could be wrong.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kendall
I'm of the opinion that the Fulldrive 2 MOSFET is about twice as useful as the OCD. The OCD is certainly great sometimes, but the Fulldrive sounds fantastic and is way more versatile.

How's the transparency on the Fulldrive 2s? It wouldn't hide the sound of my tubes completely, right?

Also, I heard some pedals take some of your sound away even when it's not necessarily on, but just plugged in. Is this true with the Fulldrive 2 too?
I have a new special place in my heart for the Fulldrive 2. It makes me all gooey inside.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
OCD, TS9s, etc. are not particularly transparent.

I haven't played one myself but you might want to take a look at the PaulC Timmy overdrive. It's pretty much as transparent as an overdrive is going to get and is a great clean boost and works particularly well if you want to get that Fender OD at lower volumes. Kevin brought up the Dano Cool Cat Transparent OD which is a Timmy clone and has become somewhat of a controversial pedal as of late. They supposedly sound very good, I have one coming in (I mean a Timmy clone for $40?) to see if it really is as great as they say. If I like the Dano that much (I just don't know how much use I have for one), I will most likely call PaulC and order a Timmy. The Danos are a little hard to find these days. Apparently there was a whole bunch of hoopla about them cloning the Timmy (which is an original circuit) on TGP, and ever since then, they have been flying off the shelves, especially after Dano announced that they would be pulling the Transparent OD unit and revising the design. Since then, literally, almost every place online has them backordered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eEVjtOwEK8

that is a PaulC tim pedal.

The Timmy is a stripped down version of the Tim pedal. It essentially sounds the same and has the same function and is very popular and renown. The Timmy goes for $130, which is very reasonable for a unit like this. It's a corksniffer's pedal, but without the corksniffing pricetag of other boutique lovers' units (ie. Klon). If you have $200 then you can certainly give Paul Cochrane a call about the Timmy. There is a wait list though.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
If you do a TS-9, the Maxon and the Keeley are worlds better than the Ibanez.

this get the keeley, its is awesome
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
For $50 more you can get the Xotic AC Booster. A lot of pros are ditching their tubescreamers for these things. One of the most transparent boosts you can get if not the most transparent.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've good things about the Electro Harmonix Germanium OD.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by theoreticmusic

These. Especially the FD2.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Analogman King of Tone is a very good and versatile pedal. It is supposed to be pretty transparent too.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.