Ideally they should match.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
More ohm resistance will mean more bass response and less volume (if I understand things correctly), but the 4 is a minimum resistance. NEVER have the amp off standby without some sort of load on it, or else it'll just fry it's tubes right there.
Quote by RadioMuse
More ohm resistance will mean more bass response and less volume (if I understand things correctly), but the 4 is a minimum resistance. NEVER have the amp off standby without some sort of load on it, or else it'll just fry it's tubes right there.

Idk about the tubes, but the OT WILL die. Those are expensive... And you'll get less volume, but idk about the bass response either.
When it comes to Ohms dealing with speaker cabs the formula you need is:

Rt= 1/r1 + 1/r2 + 1/r3

R= resistance = ohms.

So that means that you can run 2 x 8 ohm cabs and you will be running at 4 ohms.
2 x 16 ohm cabs will be 8 ohms...and so on.

However you do not want to have 2 x 4ohm cabs as that will equate to 2 ohms and will damage your gear.

Generally the more resistance you have, the lower the volume level will be. Usually information will be included with the amp as to how many watts it operates at depending on the resistance.

Any other questions, just ask.

Dave.
HI THERE
Quote by ibanezshred503
hey guys,

I just went out and bought a krank Krankenstein amp head, and it runs on 4 ohms
No, it's not just 4ohm. It has a tapped output transformer:
Quote by Krankenstein Ad
Selectable 4, 8, and 16 ohm speaker output

Quote by ibanezshred503
So that means i can use any cab that is 4 and up right? like 4-8-16
use the correct setting on the amp for the speaker(s) you connect to it.

Quote by ibanezshred503
I also would like to know which amout of ohms is the loudest, does more ohms mean less volume?
Loudest is when the impedances MATCH.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Use the matching cab. There's no reason to jeapoardize your amp by running something that shouldn't be there.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial