So what do you guys think is cooler to have? I am completely not sure which one I would rather have so I will ask what you guys think is better to own.

My 2 Choices

Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=272

or

Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi Distortion/Sustainer
http://www.ehx.com/products/bass-big-muff-pi

Obviously they have way different uses applied to them so it is a tough choice. Just some input on you guys would be very helpful.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
o.O???
What would you rather have: an orange or a shirt?

Do you want the bass to go wah-wah-wah, or do you want to make a lot of dirty noise? There's no way to recommend one of these over the other without having a bit of context (who are your influences, what do you want to play, etc)
Quote by toyboxmonster
o.O???
What would you rather have: an orange or a shirt?

Do you want the bass to go wah-wah-wah, or do you want to make a lot of dirty noise? There's no way to recommend one of these over the other without having a bit of context (who are your influences, what do you want to play, etc)

lol...I realize how dumb this topic actually looks. But what I am trying to say is I am at a complete crossroads at this. I have no preference at all. I love the wah pedal. Who doesn't? Everything I have heard out of one sounds like something I would like. Of course the fuzz pedal is the same exact thing to me. They are equal to me in taste and how much I will play it. Just wondering what you guys would prefer. I am leaning towards the fuzz pedal just because it is about $30 cheaper.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
I play mostly stuff that doesn't use these at all. I just want to jam with them, which makes it harder to choose because I feel like I would use them about equally.
Quote by DempseyPunk
Fuzz = much more fun to screw with than wah. Once you've gone "wah-wah-wah" with your pedal, there isn't much else you can do, whereas piles of noise is always good to have, if only to drive your neightbours away so that you can go skinny-dipping in the backyard.
Personally, I own the Crybaby and find it too subtle for traditional wah use.

The Bootsy Wah, with built in fuzz, however...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
bass muff. I've never found bass wah a useful application, even deeming it pointless. it just sounds better without, IMO.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
bass muff. I've never found bass wah a useful application, even deeming it pointless. it just sounds better without, IMO.

Wholeheartedly agree.
Quote by thefitz

The Bootsy Wah, with built in fuzz, however...

I've been meaning to ask about this pedal. Is it worth the cash? Durable?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
I've been meaning to ask about this pedal. Is it worth the cash? Durable?

I've been curious too, and would like to hear from someone who's used it or owns one.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
It's the heaviest pedal I own, and I own many. It's indestructable. It's tuned more like a guitar wah, which is what I think all wahs should be (the 105Q is more like a manual envelope filter, more swishy than wah), and there's three filter settings so you can position the sweep where you want to. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen those points (IMO the best location is in between mid and hi), but it's a great touch. The volume control is also crucial. There's no low-pass filter, so there is a bottom reduction, but you can use the volume control to compensate signal strength. The lack of a low-pass filter is what keeps the pedal a noticible wah, not a subtle swish.

The fuzz is an absolute one trick pony, but it's still fun. It's a very, very synthy and intense fuzz that's very, very quacky. I'm using that effect exclusively on a song I'm recording this weekend - but I'll probably never use it anywhere else.

As a note, I actually have both the Bootsy and 105Q on my pedalboard.

EDIT: strange quirk - the serrated shaft that turns the pot that controls the wah is actually longer than the pedal's depth when put in toe positon. There's a little divot that sticks out of the pedal that covers it. With the feet on, it's not a problem at all - but if you take off the feet to attach it to a velcro'd pedalboard, it's not going to stay on well, because only that little square divot, and the very edge of the toe position of the pedalboard actually touch the board's surface flush.

That may have sounded like complete gibberish, but when you see the pedal you'll understand.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by the humanity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ImKQ53C-I

I know its an envelope filter but I'm sure you can get a similar affect with a wah pedal. I don't know about you guys but I prefer this funky stuff over a lot of noise...
Quote by F22dominant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ImKQ53C-I

I know its an envelope filter but I'm sure you can get a similar affect with a wah pedal. I don't know about you guys but I prefer this funky stuff over a lot of noise...

but why get a wah when you can get an envelope filter?

it's mostly limited to funk you can do with it, I've heard jazz with a bass blowtorch. it fit fine.

big muff can do metal, pop, power pop, funk, rock, hard rock, indie, experimental, blues rock( though overdrive is preferred), alternative, and a lot of other stuff.

there are exceptions, but that is how I see it. fuzz is more versatile.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by thefitz
It's the heaviest pedal I own, and I own many. It's indestructable.

A few people on Talkbass have claimed to have experienced problems with the reliability of this pedal. I don't know if it is true, or if it was even just a few coincidental failures of TB effects forum people, but the reliability is questioned in that section of TB.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
What did they say? When I said indescructable, I had the chassis in mind.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Should you be spending $100+ (GBP? AUS?) if you don't know what you want at this wide of a split? Maybe you should get a cheap multi-effect and find out what you like? I agree that the fuzz is generally more useful than the wah, but it depends on what YOU want.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I say the fuzz...it's always nice to be able to throw in some sort of overdriven tone.
Nope, no sig here.
Fuzz, in general you really can't go wrong with it. Any genere a fuzz is going to fit in. A Wah, not so much.