i just started guitar and im learning fast but i dont know how to make thet electric rock sound. i think its called a power chord.is it my amp or the way i play.
Distortion/overdrive. Get a pedal for it or see if you amp has an OD or drive button on it
ohai little sig.
well its gonna be using *distortion* and differnt chords give you that "chunky" sound that i think you're thinkin about.
yeah power chords help make that sound just put put one finger on the fifth fret on the sixth strign, one on the 7th fret on 5th string, and is optional put another finger on the 7th fret on the 4th string. really simple, look up acdc tabs if your still confused lol

and generally you can get good rock sound by turning up the bass and treble, scoop the mids, and turn up the gain, but i like my mids personallly just play around with the eq
turn the knobs on the amp to the right and strike the strings with tenacity and a general "if you dont like it go f#c& yourself" state of mind. you will feel it instantly.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Mar 16, 2009,
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
turn the knobs on the amp to the right and strike the strings with tenacity and a general "if you dont like it go f#c& yourself" state of mind. you will feel it instantly.

DON'T do this,
Turn up the treble about 3 'o clock-ish, and the bass about 1 and usually put mids around 9-11-ish.

Also get distortion or Overdrive.
I'm FAT!
I think what you may be referring to is either reverb or distortion or overdrive or any combination of the above.

Reverb - adds an "echoing" effect to the sound of the guitar making it feel/sound "fuller."

Distortion - typically changes the waveform of the sound signal (an alternating current) and in the most extreme case limits the waveform to only a half wave or a pseudo-squarewave by usage of diodes of sorts. This is the sound of a heavy "growl."

Overdrive - a lighter version of distortion, before pedals and stompboxes were popular most of the sound distortion was achieved by saturation of the tube amplifier.

For better explanantion or audio/video you could check with your favorite music retailer or your favorite video hosting website.

Cheers
selfster
Quote by tatatotfolife
DON'T do this,
Turn up the treble about 3 'o clock-ish, and the bass about 1 and usually put mids around 9-11-ish.

i was talking about using a lot of gain and volume. sorry if i confused anybody that is new to 3 band EQs.
Quote by tatatotfolife
DON'T do this,

That tone would just sound...eww. Terrible...