Page 1 of 2
Ok I asked this once before, but I am heading to Hollywood this weekend to get a new amp since my B-52 ST-6012 was a piece of ****. I'd like an amp that has 3-4 channels (Only one or two channel amps I'd be interested in would be ones with versitile and diverse channels then) In head format so I can plop it on a 2x12 cab with V30s. I'd like something with good cleans, and can be cranked up to high levels of gain, and has great built in distortion (ie Metallica Black Album/Death Metal/ bone crunching, ball smashing lows), but can clean up to do crisp high gain distorted like stuff like Symphony X, Dream Theater, and Iron Maiden lead like work. Also for the crunch channel, pretty much an 80s Metal-heads wet dream of tone. Now I know I can't get the best amp in the world for this price, but I know I can get a decent one that won't sound like ****, so just give me some options people. I have a list going already, but I want to cover all my bases, I don't want to waste any more money on a **** amp, and I don't want to have to put $100s on new tubes and pedals to cover crap tones like what happened with my B-52. So basically I want the best, most versitile amp, that I can just do: Guitar > Cable>Amp and it sound great with enough gain and distortion to satisfy my needs for the price range.
a multi-channel amp for that price range is generally pretty hard to come by, in my experience. with more moneys, you can get tons of stuffies.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
randall rm50
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Randall RM100 with Blackface, Plexi and XTC modules.

That's all you'll ever need. It might be a bit much right now, but save a bit and you'll thank me later.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Mark IV

Boom and done.

or Framus Dragon
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Mar 16, 2009,
1. Mesa Mark IV/V
2. Mesa Mark III
3. EVH 5150 III
4. ENGL Screamer
5. ENGL Savage
6. Pedrone Mesa/Soldano clone amps.
7. Budda Superdrive
8. Splawn Quickrod
9. Splawn Nitro
10. ENGL Blackmore
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
some hughes and kettner models could probably get all the tones you want, they might be a bit out of your price range, but versitality and amazing tone is probably worth it
Get a 2 channel amp and learn to use dynamics and your guitars volume knobs to achieve desired levels of distortion
Quote by Raijouta
1. Mesa Mark IV/V
2. Mesa Mark III
3. EVH 5150 III
4. ENGL Screamer
5. ENGL Savage
6. Pedrone Mesa/Soldano clone amps.
7. Budda Superdrive
8. Splawn Quickrod
9. Splawn Nitro
10. ENGL Blackmore

I wouldn't call a 5150, Quickrod, or Nitro very versatile...
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Ya Mark IV is on my list and I plan to visit the Boogie store, but how about the Peavey JSX, and other Peavey models in this range? Marshall? Carvin V3? Others such as Laney, ENGL, Krank, etc?
The JSX is fairly versatile, but I'd still go for the Randall because you can seriously get anything out of that amp just by switching the modules.

The V3 has very nice cleans and is good for high gain, but not the greatest crunch.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Khoifish321

The EVH 5150III is nothing like the regular 5150. It actually has good cleans and is pretty darn versatile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by eberg2
some hughes and kettner models could probably get all the tones you want, they might be a bit out of your price range, but versitality and amazing tone is probably worth it

That'd be the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade.
Quote by Guitarmiester

I think they have one more model that seems like it would fit, but im not sure ... maybe trilogy, duotone, i really have no idea and im too lazy to go get my catalogue lol
^You find me a JCM 900 with ball smashing lows, and versatility to hit death metal, then we'll talk about him getting said amp.
I'm in the same shoes as you really (sort of) for a versatile amp. I recommend the Engl Screamer for that sort of thing, 4 channels and it's highly versatile and in your price range. Other than that, you'd be looking at a used Mesa Mark IV or III. Most of the rest that have been stated aren't too easy to find used and are too expensive new. I have yet to even see a used Engl Savage under $1500 or 5150 III for example.
Does Mesa Boogie still sell Mark IVs now the Mark V is out? I am going to visit their Hollywood store, would they sell me a head or just point me to a Mark V?
Quote by Khoifish321

The 5150 III is very versatile. The Nitro is pretty versatile too, it has a better clean channel than the QR.

Quote by Guitarmiester

He can also get the Trilogy and TriAmp in that price range.

Quote by SCopeland24
So how much does the Mark V cost?

$2000 new. I doubt you'll find one used cause I don't even think they're out yet
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
True but I can't stand the sound of Solid State distortion too much, although some great bands use SS amps, I'd rather have a bone crushing thick tube distortion.
Because TS can afford much better than teh Boogera, even though it is teh br00talz.

And TS, seriously try the Randall RM20/50/100s out because there isn't a good tube amp that is any more versatile.

And no, I don't work for Randall, nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I just have insane GAS for this amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 18, 2009,
Used Mark IV. Metallica tones and Death Metal tones with ease. In fact, I think Metallica used Mark IV's, and I know Dream Theater uses Mark IV's. They are also one of the most versitile amps ever to come out. Mark IV heads go for around $1100, and you can snag a good Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab used for $350, or new for $620.
NO, please not a JVM.
Marshalls are the most overrated amps you could ever find.

However that Shiva required me to have to change my pants.
Quote by Khoifish321

A 5150 III is the best, most versatile amp the TS could get for $1500 US (teh Mark IV is damn good too, but the 5150 III is just plug & play, no fiddling needed). It rips absolute ass, & all 3 channels have some great sounds that would be hard to match on amps that cost twice as much.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
A Sunn Solarus or Model T head, with some pedals in front of those you can go from Fender-y cleans to some of the heaviest distortion I've ever heard in seconds. My friend has one ran through a custom cab and he uses a EHX Big Muff > Bad Monkey OD on it to get a very good overdriven tone with it.
Personally I found the 5150 III to be severely lacking in the BALLS category.
JSX kicks its ass IMO.
Quote by x7shadesofblack
Personally I found the 5150 III to be severely lacking in the BALLS category.
JSX kicks its ass IMO.

Then the 5150 III you've tried had something wrong with it, they have WAY more balls than a JSX. No contest at all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Then the 5150 III you've tried had something wrong with it, they have WAY more balls than a JSX. No contest at all.

That's the exact same thing I was thinking, but I wasn't going to debate it !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Well uh, I guess its safe to say I can go up to $2000 now, but what about customer support. If I have a problem, which company(ies) tend to stick behind their amps the best, and which are usually made top-notch and with little to no problems?

ATM, I'm leaning towards a Mark IV/V, JSX, EVH 5150 III, or modded V3.

But the 6505, XXX, JCM2000 DSL & TSL, JCM 800 2203, JVM, RM100M all seem promising as well, guess I have to go take some for a test drive.
Splawn in my opinion will have the best build quality and customer service.

Unfortunately there have been some build issues with the 5153 but that may be resolved now. They are made by Fender so service is dependent on 'service centers' which can be hit or miss. Same for the Peaveys on service. Can't speak to the rest.
Page 1 of 2