So I bought the 5150 II from ebay in brand new condition knowing that it is a standard in metal. I figured I couldn't go wrong. I play it with a boss noise gate, EQ, tuner, and crybaby into an avatar cab with Eminence legends.*!!I only use the EQ as a lead boost!!* So the tone I'm getting out of this is really terrible fuzzy distortion even with the gain on 3 or 4 when I pick hard its all fuzz. Also If I set the mid or treble anywere over 3 and stand in front of the amp its like stabbing my ears with glass.

I just bought new SED winged C 6l6gc tubes and jammed on it today it sounds a little less fuzzy but thats all. I also messed around with the bias pot while playing and I couldnt tell any difference. So how do you get 5150IIs to sound decent?

please help

*I play with post gain set between 6 and 7
Last edited by mesametal at Mar 17, 2009,
umm, boost that son of a bitch with a tube screamer, not an EQ, use the EQ to equalise it, not boost it.

boost midrange or scoop it, whatever suits ur fancy, lower the mids a little on the EQ, turn postgain way down and pregain up.
Even though it looked like it was in brand new condition the amp is still more then a few years old. So it could be a few things but first thing I would check is the preamp tubes since you already replaced the power tubes. I would go ahead replace them and see if that does the trick.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Even though it looked like it was in brand new condition the amp is still more then a few years old. So it could be a few things but first thing I would check is the preamp tubes since you already replaced the power tubes. I would go ahead replace them and see if that does the trick.

I'm waiting on the preamp tubes to come in..GT phase inverter v6 and tung sol ax7 in v1 dunno for the rest

Pre-3.5
Low-8
Mid-3
Treble-1
Post-6
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Legends are not necessarily tight? I'd try a cab with Celestion V30s or similar. New tubes would probably be plus too.

Edit: Buy good tubes please!

I've heard winged C's are pretty decent. They were about 100$ for 4

Is it the speakers then?
Last edited by mesametal at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by mesametal
I'm waiting on the preamp tubes to come in..GT phase inverter v6 and tung sol ax7 in v1 dunno for the rest

Pre-3.5
Low-8
Mid-3
Treble-1
Post-6

Treble 1 WTF!? The amp is spiky but 1? If you have your presence boosted bring that down and use your treble knob as the treble knob, like yo momma intended.
Quote by maggot2011
Treble 1 WTF!? The amp is spiky but 1? If you have your presence boosted bring that down and use your treble knob as the treble knob, like yo momma intended.

presence is 0...seriously when trebel is at 3 or above it kills everyone.death by glass shard explosion. And thats why I'm here asking you
Advice, try turning down the tone knob on your pickups by any chance it might be the Pickups are very trebly and your new tube amp responds to them more than your previous.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Advice, try turning down the tone knob on your pickups by any chance it might be the Pickups are very trebly and your new tube amp responds to them more than your previous.

you know thats a good idea I forgot how trebely the bill lawrence l500s are supposed to be
Quote by mesametal
you know thats a good idea I forgot how trebely the bill lawrence l500s are supposed to be

Happy to advise.

What many people don't think of is if their amplifier is very glassy in charictor it might be a problem with the signal being sent to the amp.
Glassyness is just the other end of Muddyness.
You have to find a medium between the two with your tone knob.
I might also add tube amps seem to respond to the tone and volume knobs of the instrument much more than a Solid State transistor would. When i got my first high gain tube amp I was puzzled to why it seemed so Thin and harmonicly glassy, turned out my pickups were just too glassy and i had to roll off the treble.
ok well that might have solved my treble problem but does anyone know how to get a less fuzzy distortion. I know replacing a resitor around the bias pot will change somthing but I'm not sure If it's what I need
Quote by mesametal
ok well that might have solved my treble problem but does anyone know how to get a less fuzzy distortion. I know replacing a resitor around the bias pot will change somthing but I'm not sure If it's what I need

Any chance the speakers are doing that?
If they are speakers not suiting of high gain they will get fuzzy and a little shrill.
Maybe try some new settings since you have solved the glassyness?
I say you try these here.

Pre gain - 6
Treble -3 1/2
Midrange - 4
Bass - 7 1/2 or 8
Presence - 3 to 6 depending on if you want lead or rythmn tone.

If thats doesn't butcher the tone in a new direction i would try and bring it to a guitar center and hook up some other cabinets to see if your going insane or your speakers aren't fitting the bill.
Find the preamp spot that controls the lead gain channel. You probably have a crappy tube in there causing a harsh fuzzy gain voicing. You would be surprised at how much one or two preamp tubes will affect an amps tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
can you a/b it in a store with another 5150 to see if you just don't like the tone of a 5150 or if something is actually wrong with the amp?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
From fooling around with the 5150 I've noticed that you really only need the gain at around 4 and that it sounds great either boosted or with the volume right where it first spikes at least. It's not a low volume amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
...................................Bias mod.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I doubt the poweramp is the causing the fuzzy gain.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I doubt the poweramp is the causing the fuzzy gain.

Sure can. It's most likely crossover distortion, which comes as a result of a really low power amp bias. The difference between a bias modded 5150 and a stock 5150 is night and day IMO. Go ahead and bias your amp down to 5-15mA and hear it for yourself :p
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Sure can. It's most likely crossover distortion, which comes as a result of a really low power amp bias. The difference between a bias modded 5150 and a stock 5150 is night and day IMO. Go ahead and bias your amp down to 5-15mA and hear it for yourself :p

there is no bias on 5150's....you have to have a mod done to be able to bias the tubes.
Quote by zhunt1130
there is no bias on 5150's....you have to have a mod done to be able to bias the tubes.

That's why I had said bias mod.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
That's why I had said bias mod.

oh my mistake, I somehow read over that part. it's St. Pattys day
Quote by zhunt1130
oh my mistake, I somehow read over that part. it's St. Pattys day

Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Kayman: How's that prorackG working for ya? I'm gonna be upgrading my boss before I go on tour and I'm torn between the g-string pedal and the rack unit.
Quote by zhunt1130
Kayman: How's that prorackG working for ya? I'm gonna be upgrading my boss before I go on tour and I'm torn between the g-string pedal and the rack unit.

It's simply a godsend. I've blown through many noise reduction units, and they are all nothing more than feeble toys compared to the pro rack G imo. I went with the rack over the pedal so I can have complete control over setting the thresholds individually, the dynamic tracking, as well as +10dB vs -4dB.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by zhunt1130
So you think it was worth the extra money over the pedal?

I think so. With guitar gear, as well as many other things...I strongly stand by the whole "get what you pay for" thing. And with the pro rack g, that phrase most certainly applies. Get the rack version now, and that way you'll always be set for your noise-reduction needs in the future.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups