Alright so lets say I hand you a (guitar in the title) and I say "Hey, you can go nuts with this things, and do whatever you want to it, as long as it improves it, as an instrument. What would you do to it?What would it affect? How much would I have to spend?

Thank you 8D
Is it the 3-pup? I have one of those and there's not much I would change.

Maybe go nuts with the wiring; coil splitting, out of phase.

Mine is white and I always thought it would look great with some gold hardware.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I'd switch out the pickups, cause I hate gibson pups. They tend to not be very good, IMO.
I would also make sure the frets are leveled, assuming they're not already... but that /should/ be standard set-up in the first place.
I wouldn't do a FR. That wouldn't work on an SG. Dont' try it, in case someone suggests.
I'd make a new nut for it, probably graphite.
I'd also add locking tuners. No more going out of tune....
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Hm...Well it's the Cherry red one (only two pups) but the idea of switching and maybe even adding coil splitting, is a good touch. Possibly some bare knuckles? I think the frets may be leveled I've had several people look at it, and they say it's a fine instrument, I'm just thinking of ways to make it the least bit better, since my lead guitarist as a 1960 les paul, and of course I can't fight him over his tone, but I'd like to sort of be able to fight him over quality, if you sort of get me. Not saying my 700 dollar guitar is gonna sound like his 2k, but just so that we can sort of match y'know?

Locking turners I think I may give a go, I'm definitely not touching the nut though, the last time I did that, I didn't know where to find a new one and ended up just putting the old one back on and being like "screw it" and going about my day using it (not on this guitar another one, which doesn't sound all that bad to be honest) but either way, thank you for the suggestions, keep em coming
Quote by Emoishboy
I'd switch out the pickups, cause I hate gibson pups. They tend to not be very good, IMO.
I would also make sure the frets are leveled, assuming they're not already... but that /should/ be standard set-up in the first place.
I wouldn't do a FR. That wouldn't work on an SG. Dont' try it, in case someone suggests.
I'd make a new nut for it, probably graphite.
I'd also add locking tuners. No more going out of tune....

I agree with the locking tuners fo sho.
pup swap if you want, a lot of people like gibson pups though. However there's a lot of companies out there that do gibson pups better than gibson...
███████████████████████████████████
if you do the coil split then you'll need new pups. You can't split Gibson pups, far as I know, cause I think they use the classic pickup design rather than the 5-wire.

EDIT: The guy above this post is right. SD makes an amazing set of blues 'buckers that are far superior to anything Gibson makes, in my opinion. And Dimarzio makes another really nice vintage-sounding set, assuming you have the typical Gibson 'buckers that tend to be fairly close to vintage-style....
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by Emoishboy at Mar 17, 2009,
Hmmm...

Mine stays in tune just fine already, but locking tuners couldn't hurt.
I have a 500t and two 490s and I like 'em but there is better stuff out there.
Just my 2 cents.

Check out the ultimate wiring diagrams thread for ideas on that front.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I have a similiar situation with my epi SG,with the exception of new p-ups.
I'm gonna put on a bigsby,a neck coil split,an N-tune tuner,out of phase wiring on the neck tone and my own funky wiring on the bridge tone.
I'm also gonna paint the scratch plate,once I come up with an idea.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
put a bigsby on it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
bigsby and some bucker sized p90's
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Emoishboy
You don't need better pickups, you need a better opinion. Except for BurstBuckers (ew) Gibson makes some damned good pickups.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I agree with SomeoneYouKnew. I like Gibson pickups. I've got Gibson 500T pickups in my Gibson V and my Epiphone V. As far as modding an SG goes you can't do the coil splitting on the stock pups. The pickups Gibson puts in the guitars from the factory are vintage style wiring. They have a hot wire and the outter shielding wire gets soldered to the back of the pot. However you can get after market Gibson pickups with four conductor wiring that you can do coil splitting on. The stock pickup in Gibson V is not a four conductor but the one I put in my Epiphone V is a four conductor.
if you want to match a '60 LP's tone, the best you'll get with a newer SG is to change the wiring around to 50's LP schematic (do a search or i can send it to you) and put Paper In Oil caps in between the volume and tone. did this to my sg and the cost was only $14 all told including shipping. AND THE TONE!!!! its magical.
if you switch out the pups, are you interested in selling the current? You'd get a nice clip for Gibson pickups
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Here are all of the mods I suggested in the last "mod an sg" thread.

-Change pickguard
-change pickups if they do not suit you (I would have one of gibson's humbucker-sized p-90s in the neck, for example)
-change knobs
-get a special knob/potentiometer (such as the N-Tune system or EMG's AB booster)
-change bridge to a bigsby
-rewire controls BFG style (killswitch where pickup selector is, normal 4 knobs are volume/tone/tone/pickup selector)
-rewire controls Jimmy Page style (push-pull pots for coil splitting/series-parallel)
-Graphtech Nut
-Locking Tuners
-Graphtech Saddles if not bigsby
-Refinish
-Sand finish off neck

That is all I can think of at the moment, I too love custimization.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I dont have a huge thing against these pick ups, I just really want my instrument to be all it can be. Potentially I'm thinking of slapping a set of bare knuckles on this thing, possibly coil split it. I was thinking of refinishing this thing, possibly removing the pick guard, fill the holes created by the pick guard, paint over them, so it looks as if it didn't have one, THEN put a '61 re-issue pickguard on it, WHIIIILE throwing pick up rings on them, so I can get that re-issue look, the knobs I'm considering swapping out with Gibson speed knobs so they fit it as bet as they can. Alot of these ideas are helping, does anyone have any suggestions for the locking turners? I'd like some that look like the gibson tuners, but the silver kind like on the LP standards? I cant seem to find the brand.
Quote by SGlover69
I dont have a huge thing against these pick ups, I just really want my instrument to be all it can be. Potentially I'm thinking of slapping a set of bare knuckles on this thing, possibly coil split it. I was thinking of refinishing this thing, possibly removing the pick guard, fill the holes created by the pick guard, paint over them, so it looks as if it didn't have one, THEN put a '61 re-issue pickguard on it, WHIIIILE throwing pick up rings on them, so I can get that re-issue look, the knobs I'm considering swapping out with Gibson speed knobs so they fit it as bet as they can. Alot of these ideas are helping, does anyone have any suggestions for the locking turners? I'd like some that look like the gibson tuners, but the silver kind like on the LP standards? I cant seem to find the brand.

They are grovers. I am not too sure about filling the holes, though. Cherry Red stain is a very peculiar color, you may encounter some dfficulty with it. I recommend using a red sharpie to color over the wood filler.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
-Get frets 12-24 scalloped.
-Rewire to only use 1 vol and 1 tone.
-Vol and Tone pots function as coil taps (Push-pull pots).
-In vacent pot holes place an active distortion driver (5 option type) and a killswitch.
-Replace the standard tuners.
-Switch out Bridge Pup for a high output humbucker.
-Switch Neck PuP for either a low output humbucker or a Fat P90.
-Better hardware (if it has plastic PuP rings swap them for metal)
-Replace the nut or pencil-treat the current one.

All this, assuming you dont go for big name PuPs, shouldnt cost too much, and the wiring is relitivly simple.
I can do no wrong, for I do not know what wrong is.

The Gear:
Squire 50th Stratocaster (Pimped Out)
Gibson SG Standard
Tuxedo Telecaster Terror (Own Build)
Nameless Les paul
Marshall MGFX 100 Combo
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You don't need better pickups, you need a better opinion. Except for BurstBuckers (ew) Gibson makes some damned good pickups.

Actually the BurstBuckers are some of the better ones IMO.
'57 classics are my favourite stock Gibsons.
I'd say that anything Gibson does with ceramics is Godawful though.

I'd certainly change the pickups in the SG to Bare Knuckles; half the time I buy cheap guitars as excuses to put BKPs in them (which is irritating because I then have to go to the trouble of fixing them up so that they're playable)
I'd get it fitted with an Earvana compensated nut and some locking tuners to make sure it's intonated and in tune.
Probably a refinish because I hate the "faded" thing.
Throw on some 500k pots and nicer capacitors.
Sand the finish off of the neck.
Stainless steel frets, perhaps.
Dunlop Straplocks.
Coil taps and more switching options.
i just came onto this option today myself and i dont know how to do it, but add a bass countour knob,especially helpful for you rythem guitar players, and on an sg it would be sick. Dont ask how to do it just look at http://www.reverendguitars.com/ for sound bytes
~Defiant~