Hey, I am looking into a Peavey Windsor half stack, but I have had no experience with Tube amps, so I have a quick question. Are tube amps compatible with digital effects? In other words, can I play trough a digitech RP series pedal, or any other digital processor with a tube amplifier? This may be a stupid question, but I need to know. Also, is there any distinct disadvantages that come with tubes verse solid state? Thanks.
Lol - you can most definetly use digital effects (or any effects for that matter) with a tube amp. The main disadvantage with tube amps is the fact that they require more maintenance and care than SS amps do.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
yes you can use effects with it

disadvantages of tube amps are also their advantage... the tubes naturally distort, creating overdrive. it's like distortion but in a different way. this overdriven tube sound is why most people use tube amps over SS amps but this also means that it is pretty much impossible to get a clean tone at high volumes with a tube amp. (tubes distort at higher volumes).

this natural distortion doesn't take pedals very well, from my experience at least.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
from my experience, the multi effect units do not sound well with tube amps but sound really good with SS amps
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
The RP series sound pretty bad through any amp tbh.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
You can absolutely use digital effects with a tube amp, there is nothing to it so don't worry.

As others have said disadvantages of tube amps is they require more maintenance and its costly. But most (not all but 99.9%) pro, semi-pro and pro-amateur guitarists use tube for the fact that generally (not always) they sound a lot better. And the break up you get from tubes is a lot nicer than digital distortion. Even if your tube amp is running clean there the way tubes work makes it sound much more natural and all round nice.

Now i'm not putting down solid state amps, there are some bloody fine solid states around and some really sh*tty tube amps. I'd rather a great SS than a shocking tube amp. So rememebr just because it's tube doesn't mean it's better.

As for effects I use all analog effects as most prefer, but digital effects are also great if you're looking for that sound. But don't expect a tube sound from digital effects. You can get some GREAT digital modelling out there, but really.. Who wouldn't prefer a cranked JTM45 over a Line 6 Vetta II. (PS The Vetta II is awesome).

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band