I need an amp for STRICTLY cleans. I really like John Mayer's clean tone but I'm in no position to spend $10,000 on a Two Rock. I was thinking somewhere around $1,000 give or take for a head or combo. If I get a head, I'm going to be running it through a 212 Avatar, not sure what kind of speakers yet. I've been looking at the Ceriatone Overtone Special (Dumble clone) as well as the Bandmaster clone. I know that Two Rock models most of their stuff after Dumble amps so maybe the OT Special will get me closest but I won't get to try it first which makes me a bit nervous. I also want to try out Fenders Bandmaster VM when it comes out at the end of the month. Any other suggestions? I'd like it to have plenty of headroom. If I can't find anything I like I may save up longer and spring for the Dr. Z EZG-50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQCCfWaiMfI
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
If you want lots of headroom and sick cleans, then check out the Roland JC120. Amazing clean amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
That Dr. Z sounds sooo good. I've been GASing for one for a very long time. I'd look into some Fender combos if you want to save some cash.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
cleans on old super lead 100's sound pretty nice, and it gots plenty of head room. Not sure if they're the type of cleans you're looking for, though. Roland Jazz Chorus also has very good cleans.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
roland jazz chorus
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
If you want lots of headroom and sick cleans, then check out the Roland JC120. Amazing clean amp.

I was looking at this as well. Actually, this is the only one in the lot I mentioned I have actually played. I thought it sounded good, not as warm as the others but I'd have to AB them to get a better idea of what it sounds like. I will of course play everything that I can get my hands on extensively before making a decision.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The thing is that the JC has a very specific, SSsy clean sound. It may not be your thing, but it is a very "pure" clean that is unlike that of a tube amp. With some light reverb and chorus, it will destroy IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by soul_power
I was looking at this as well. Actually, this is the only one in the lot I mentioned I have actually played. I thought it sounded good, not as warm as the others but I'd have to AB them to get a better idea of what it sounds like. I will of course play everything that I can get my hands on extensively before making a decision.

If you want a more warm clean sound I'd look into a more fendery tube sound.
Quote by Sid McCall
That Dr. Z sounds sooo good. I've been GASing for one for a very long time. I'd look into some Fender combos if you want to save some cash.

I know, the cleans on the thing are godly. I want to try one out in person so bad although I'm sure that will only fuel my GAS.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Mesa's are known for high-gain amps, but take a look at the Lone Star series, Mesa hit a home run with amps as far as I'm concerned.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Roland JC120 + Clean boost + Chorus. The boost and chorus give the cleans a bit more character.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Doodleface
Mesa's are known for high-gain amps, but take a look at the Lone Star series, Mesa hit a home run with amps as far as I'm concerned.

Ah yes, I can't believe I forgot lone stars. I was looking into getting one or something similar to one before I upped the budget. Minus The Bear FTW!
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by soul_power
Ah yes, I can't believe I forgot lone stars. I was looking into getting one or something similar to one before I upped the budget. Minus The Bear FTW!

Minus The Bear for the wiin indeed!

Id say Jazz Chorus for Pris-tine Mr. clean never gunna need to worry about clipping cleans.
While if you want a warmer clean that might break up a very tiny bit at very high volumes, go with the Lonestar.
the best cleans i have ever played have came from an old mesa heartbreaker 212 combo. you can find them used from about $1000-$1200.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Ceriatone OTS would be a great option. Nik's work is always top notch, but the whole Dumble kind of sound is not for everyone. Should work for you though if you want that John Mayer tone.
Peavey Delta Blues
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Get a fender twin reverb. Amazing clean tone, combine with a strat and its pure sex
Quote by al112987
Ceriatone OTS would be a great option. Nik's work is always top notch, but the whole Dumble kind of sound is not for everyone. Should work for you though if you want that John Mayer tone.

Yeah, I just wish I could try one . It has reverb right?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm