ok im wanting to stain my fingerboard on my guitar neck as i dont really like the look of rosewood,but the neck has dot inlays and i dont really want any inlays would you be able to see them if i stained overthem or should i just mask them and stain around them.

cheers
what are the inlays made from?

i dont know if rosewood will take a stain very well cause its so oil-y as is.. i know there are ways to darken it up though, theres different combinations of tricks to make it look like ebony..
Quote by POWERMETAL!
what are the inlays made from?

i dont know if rosewood will take a stain very well cause its so oil-y as is.. i know there are ways to darken it up though, theres different combinations of tricks to make it look like ebony..

do you know how i could make it look like ebony thanks
and dot inlays thats all i think they are
what material? probably pearl or plastic of some sort.

google the word "ebonizing"

theres afew different things out there.., try to find something that doesnt seem crappy like it will come off on your hands if your gonna do it. i've never personally done it, just heard of it.
Almost anything you use to stain your rosewood will also darken your fret markers. So I would mask them off for sure. As far as a product, I understand that the big companies use a type of leather stain on thier boards. Stewart-MacDonald sells it and it's supposed to work very well. Stewmac.com. Search for leather stain.
The only fretboard stain I know of that's used widely without a clearcoat over it is this one, but that doesn't mean its the only one.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...