Hi, Can somebody please tell me which pickups are best for a good distortion sound, i mainly want high gain pickups for loud harmonics etc etc

thanks
kris
what amp do you have?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
at the min i only have the standard amp that came with my first guitar, put the amp is pretty good for a newbie (which i am ) lol but i am quite good at playing guitar, so at the minute im half way thru building a guitar,
Thanks

Kris
Get a new amp first, pickups won't make any difference with a starter pack amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^ this

rather invest in a decent amp (a halfstack or combo would be fine for your level) and learn how to work the tone on that. Then go to better pickups.
pickups do not define your distortion, your amp does.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
active emg pickups
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by robotsuk
at the min i only have the standard amp that came with my first guitar, put the amp is pretty good for a newbie (which i am ) lol but i am quite good at playing guitar, so at the minute im half way thru building a guitar,
Thanks

Kris

Pickups aren't going to make a massive difference through the amp you're using so it's not worth spending a lot and there's absolutely no point worrying about actives - check out Irongear pickups. They're decent but not too expensive....I'd say a Steamhammer in the bridge and a Hot Slag in the neck.

You really need a new amp though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
EMG 81/85 combo or a pair of 81's will do the job. But get a proper amp to really enjoy them. I just got them on my Cort and through my little Roland they are okay. But through the bigger amps they are awesome even without any/much distortion on. They even sound pretty nice down at clean volumes. So they are a bit more than a one-trick pony.
The only downside to EMG's is that they sound like EMG's and have little influence from the guitar. Good passives are more sensitive to good wood.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

get a new amp first. if youve gotta do it for cheap, the peavey vypyr. if you've got a little more to spend, maybe a bugera.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by steven seagull
Pickups aren't going to make a massive difference through the amp you're using so it's not worth spending a lot and there's absolutely no point worrying about actives - check out Irongear pickups. They're decent but not too expensive....I'd say a Steamhammer in the bridge and a Hot Slag in the neck.

You really need a new amp though.

+1, or maybe toneriders, they're similarly priced and also I've heard good things about them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bareknuckle Warpigs
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Bareknuckle Warpigs

+1

Also Nailbombs

And actives on a practice amp is a bad idea....

TS honestly if you are looking for something to drastically change up your tone get a good EQ pedal (MXR M108). See how you like that, then think about getting a new amp and pickups down the line once you get some cash saved up.
Quote by kayman121
Bareknuckle Warpigs

+ mutha fuckin 1

Those things are beasts!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.