Option 2
2 22%
Option 3
2 22%
Option 4
4 44%
Voters: 9.
Hey..

I've been researching and researching for distortion pedals for quite some time and I've think I've narrowed it down to a few. Here are some facts you might need:

* I've been thinking of getting a Tubescreamer but they aren't they good for metal are they? Plus I heard you need a tube amp to get the best out of it

* I have a solidstate Vox Pathfinder amp. It's pretty good; only 15 watts but can get loud as heck. There's an overdrive channel, which I love, but it doesn't quite hit the spot, which is why I want a pedal. Oh, and PLEASE don't tell me screw the pedal and get a better amp because I'm saving up as well

I'm going to list the pedals I'm going to get (maybe even put up a poll), but I'm very open to suggestions. I just need a good distortion pedal that's ALSO under 100US$. Pedals NOT to suggest are: Boss Metal Zone, Boss Metal Muff. My friends have those, I want something different.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DS-1-Distortion-Pedal-100086787-i1124466.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-XMM-Metal-Master-Heavy-Metal-Distortion-Pedal-101652196-i1124239.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-ML-2-Metal-Core-Distortion-Pedal-104224688-i1173694.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-HardWire-Series-TL-2-Metal-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105018675-i1410005.gc

Those are what I'm considering. I'm leaning towards the Hardwire. Suggestions, comments, HELP??
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Last edited by larrytheguitar at Mar 17, 2009,
the ds-1 is actually pretty legit and versatile if you run it through a tube amp like it's designed for, but since you don't quite have that you should rule that one out. if you put it through ss it's going to sound thin and nasally. idk about those other ones so i can't help you out man sorry
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I've updated them to Guitar Center links!

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Hey..

I've been researching and researching for distortion pedals for quite some time and I've think I've narrowed it down to a few. Here are some facts you might need:

* I've been thinking of getting a Tubescreamer but they aren't they good for metal are they? Plus I heard you need a tube amp to get the best out of it

* I have a solidstate Vox Pathfinder amp. It's pretty good; only 15 watts but can get loud as heck. There's an overdrive channel, which I love, but it doesn't quite hit the spot, which is why I want a pedal. Oh, and PLEASE don't tell me screw the pedal and get a better amp because I'm saving up as well

I'm going to list the pedals I'm going to get (maybe even put up a poll), but I'm very open to suggestions. I just need a good distortion pedal that's ALSO under 100US$. Pedals NOT to suggest are: Boss Metal Zone, Boss Metal Muff. My friends have those, I want something different.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-DS-1-Distortion-Pedal-100086787-i1124466.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-XMM-Metal-Master-Heavy-Metal-Distortion-Pedal-101652196-i1124239.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-ML-2-Metal-Core-Distortion-Pedal-104224688-i1173694.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-HardWire-Series-TL-2-Metal-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105018675-i1410005.gc

Those are what I'm considering. I'm leaning towards the Hardwire. Suggestions, comments, HELP??

Ok firstly, don't get the metalcore. It's worse then the MT-2...just even fizzier.

The DS-1 is an alright pedal...not really what I'd consider metal but it could do metallica at a push...feedbacks tho. However if you get this thing modded it rapes.

The hardwire stuff is apparently really good....don't know much about it?

Digitech MM...well a lot of cheap digitech's have a pretty bad rep...don't know a lot about it...

Go to your guitar store and try them.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
Go to your guitar store and try them.

Yeah that's the thing, I can't. I live overseas and the few music shops have limited pedals.

He will be missed.
Out of those, the Hardwire. But see if you can find an old Boss HM-2 on ebay, because they are the best metal distortion pedals of all time. Also see if you can get a ProCo Rat.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Out of those, the Hardwire. But see if you can find an old Boss HM-2 on ebay, because they are the best metal distortion pedals of all time. Also see if you can get a ProCo Rat.

The Rat is an excellent option, I'd be a little cautious of the HM-2 though, I owned one years ago and whilst they're awesome for classic metal e.g Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest etc. they aren't really voiced for modern stuff and they don't have the kind of gain you'll be looking for if you wanted to play Trivium and stuff like that, even Puppets era metallica can be a stretch. Might be a different story if you use it to drive a valve amp but that's not the case with you as you've said. The Digitech pedals aren't too bad, decent sounds, a little one dimentional perhaps but not bad and build pretty solidly.
Ah, I've checked out the ProCo Rat and decided it's not for me. But thanks for the HM-2 warning. I was looking at some auction sites that were dead cheap. I don't play much old stuff like Ozzy so thanks for the warning.

I'm getting more and more confident about the hardwire. Should that be my decision?

He will be missed.
Yeah, it's probably the best out of all of them.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The HM-2 probably isn't great for modern metal (after all, it was discontinued 20 years or so ago) but it's great for 80s metal and particularly Scandinavian black metal if you're into that sort of thing.
Quote by Cathbard
Should I just go with the hardwire?

He will be missed.
Quote by shadow__666
The HM-2 probably isn't great for modern metal (after all, it was discontinued 20 years or so ago) but it's great for 80s metal and particularly Scandinavian black metal if you're into that sort of thing.

I can see it being good for that stuff, my old one did sound pretty gnarley. I always wanted to try putting it in front of my old guitar teacher's JCM800, I think getting the amp all fat and crunched up and then driving it hard with the HM-2 would have been metal nirvana. Sadly he wouldn't let me play with his stuff
Yes.
Quote by Cathbard
get a blackstar dstx

you'll love it, i guarantee.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
All set, I ordered the Hardwire! Along with a coupler cable and a power supply. Thanks, guys!

He will be missed.
If you can't try them out, I suggest looking up YouTube video's and sound clips in other places, and decide which one you like best. All songs on my myspace were recorded with the Boss MT2 Metalzone