Ok, I got my guitar last week and its the first time I've ever had or played an instrument pretty much at all. This might be really obvious or something, but I've been playing for a few days and I haven't managed to figure it out.

So my question is this. Say I'm on the Low E string at the 3rd fret. How do I hit the same string at the 5th fret (or any situation like this, I just picked two random frets), without having a tone in there from touching the string before I pick it again?

I hope you understand what I mean. I've tried searching but I can't find an answer.
Use your index finger to press on 'fret 3' (strum)

Take 'ring' finger and press down on 'fret 5' (strum)
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
But what I'm saying is before I get to strum there is a tone in between just from touching the string (before the second strum). What causes that? Is it a problem with my guitar?
Last edited by big_aug at Mar 17, 2009,
when doing something like that if you are strumming you can mute the 'inbetween string' with your index finger. it will still bring out a percussive sound though
Ok, so its gotta be pretty much perfect timing then. Kinda of makes it hard to go through things slowly. I guess it comes with time.
By some of the replies, I don't think your getting what I'm saying. Let me try to explain it better.

I have my index finger on the Low E string, 3rd fret. I pick the Low E string. I then place my ring finger on the Low E string, 5th fret. This causes a tone BEFORE I pick the string again to play the note.

It seems that picking the string just as my fretting finger is coming down on it is the answer?
This tone is you hammering on to the 5th fret from the 3rd fret after strumming it I believe?
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
Yeah, Actually. I'm pretty certain the above statement is what it is. You need to strum just as your 'ring' finger frets the 5th fret. o.O

Timing is something you will need.
Quote by offspring_punk
Yeah it's a hammer on accidentally. Sync up your pluck to the exact time you put your finger on the A note (5th fret). It might take a while but will help you greatly. Also a metronome would help a lot.
Ok, thanks guys.

I'll have to start really working on that. It was just annoying the hell out of me because I didn't know what it was. I read about hammer ons and pull offs and it all makes sense, so I'll just have to practice my timing.

I appreciate the help.
Quote by big_aug
Ok, I got my guitar last week and its the first time I've ever had or played an instrument pretty much at all. This might be really obvious or something, but I've been playing for a few days and I haven't managed to figure it out.

So my question is this. Say I'm on the Low E string at the 3rd fret. How do I hit the same string at the 5th fret (or any situation like this, I just picked two random frets), without having a tone in there from touching the string before I pick it again?

I hope you understand what I mean. I've tried searching but I can't find an answer.

don't bother trying to paly stuff like that yet - you're getting a little bit to far ahead of yourself. It might seem like a simple thing you're trying to do but the fact is you don't have enough control or accuracy to be able to pull it off yet.

Just start with the basics, learn a few open chords and start getting a feel for the instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you have your OD/Dis cranked it will accentuate this sound too right?
Quote by steven seagull
don't bother trying to paly stuff like that yet - you're getting a little bit to far ahead of yourself. It might seem like a simple thing you're trying to do but the fact is you don't have enough control or accuracy to be able to pull it off yet.

Just start with the basics, learn a few open chords and start getting a feel for the instrument.

Oh yea, I was just messing around with some tabs. I've been practicing my open chord changes and playing some simple riffs (smoke on the water, enter sandman, paranoid, etc). I just like to mess around and try some other stuff too.
There's no point trying to do too much at once though, you need to focus on the basics for the time being and that'll give you a good foundation for developing. Otherwise all that happens is you end up half-learning a load of bits of stuff and not being very good at any of them. Concentrate on one thing at a time for the time being.

Remember you've got the rest of your life to learn to play the thing, you're not going to do it all in the first few weeks or months....20 years down the line you'll still be learning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 19, 2009,