Page 1 of 2
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1162401/Will-sleep-Downs-syndrome-son-Mother-makes-appeal-lover-21-year-old-Otto.html

21 year old otto, here has down's syndrome. his mother wants for him to lose his virginity because he has expressed interest in sex.

what do we think?

due to the impairment of cognitive ability in down's syndrome patients, my stance on the topic is such that i believe his expression of interest in losing his virginity is not a result of maturity and normality, but rather he is like a child in a toy shop. otto knows about sex and wants it.
my main basis for this is through his quote "i want a girlfriend so that i can have sex" (paraphrase).
i therefore think that he is not emotionally developed enough to have a sexual relationship.

with this said, i find it difficult to leave it at that, because as the mother is arguing, this could be seen as discrimination, and i do not really know what otto is thinking.

your turn.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
I don't see how his sex life is the business of anyone else other than him, his partner, and evidently, his mother.

Honestly, you're right, he's not emotionally equipped, but what percentage of virgins really are anyway?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
He is of an old enough age and if he's expressed an interest then best of luck to him. Perhaps he may not have the mental capacity to decide his option whilst thinking through the outcomes but 'normal' people make much stupider choices every day.
Your argument seems like a good one, but discrimination is brought up when people say that many other people do the same - aimlessly have sex due to pressure or experimenting - yet themselves they can.

I really dont understand this mum's agenda. My older sister has down syndrome too and I could not think of anything you'd want to keep them away from more than this.
Last edited by thesquirrel at Mar 17, 2009,
He's called Otto, so he should be allowed to do what he damn well pleases
Let him! If he feels he is ready then so do I, I mean, is he any more or less ready than a 7th grade girl feeling extra randy after her first school dance? Because though they are not either mentally "Ready" for such an act, they have the sex just the same....and think about this...How ready were YOU durring your first sexual encounter, eh? I'm guessing you were scared and unknowlegable as to what it would be like, much the same as Otto. He's curious just as anyone is, and I conclude, if he feels he is ready, then so do I.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
After reading her argument on the page, I really hope he finds someone.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by hippotato7
you didn't set up a debate, you just laid out the facts

oh please - there's clearly an ethical issue here. the debate is obviously about which side of the issue people lie on and why.

Quote by Le_Bunny
Kids as young as 12 have sex, mental immaturity evidently isn't an issue. We don't know the degree to which he suffers the syndrome, therefore I don't think we have a place to say whether it is wrong or right.

i don't think that it is right for 12 year olds to have sex for the exact reason that they are not emotionally mature enough to cope with a sexual relationship and its consequences.
on the other hand, your other argument is true. we don't know the severity of his condition.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by instagata0
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1162401/Will-sleep-Downs-syndrome-son-Mother-makes-appeal-lover-21-year-old-Otto.html

21 year old otto, here has down's syndrome. his mother wants for him to lose his virginity because he has expressed interest in sex.

what do we think?

due to the impairment of cognitive ability in down's syndrome patients, my stance on the topic is such that i believe his expression of interest in losing his virginity is not a result of maturity and normality, but rather he is like a child in a toy shop. otto knows about sex and wants it.
my main basis for this is through his quote "i want a girlfriend so that i can have sex" (paraphrase).
i therefore think that he is not emotionally developed enough to have a sexual relationship.

with this said, i find it difficult to leave it at that, because as the mother is arguing, this could be seen as discrimination, and i do not really know what otto is thinking.

your turn.

the pit....ethics...is this a joke? That's like asking a dog not to drink out of a toilet.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I'm against him having sex purely for the fact we don't need more retards in the genepool.
I think he should. He's a human and is therefore capable of love, if he finds somebody who wants to sex him up, let it happen.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by hendrixftw
the pit....ethics...is this a joke? That's like asking a dog not to drink out of a toilet.

i am comtemplating sigging that
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Why won't she just get him a hooker.

That being said, ew.

edit: or she could do him herself but that'd make this fucked up situation even more fucked up.
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by EnyoAdonai
I think he should. He's a human and is therefore capable of love, if he finds somebody who wants to sex him up, let it happen.

I agree entirely.

Quote by turdburgler
I'm against him having sex purely for the fact we don't need more retards in the genepool.

Yeah. We certainly have enough of you around here.

Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by instagata0
i therefore think that he is not emotionally developed enough to have a sexual relationship

Hell, I'm not cognitively disabled and that's what I want. Most teens have the same outlook on relationships.

I personally don't think he should be denied sex (especially with sexy 'burns like those ). The real moral dilemma is the fact that his mom needs to be so involved in it.

On a different note, allegedly two spec. ed. kids at my high school (while I was still going there) got caught doing the nasty in one of the bathrooms.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by instagata0

what do we think?

your turn.

men and boys with normal functioning brains behave this way too, you learn about sex then you want it and pursue it, through hookups, girlfriends or whatever. you don't have to have matured to want it
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by x_thurston_x
I agree entirely.

Yeah. We certainly have enough of you around here.

No I believe I'm a functioning, working and contributing member of society, retards on the hand are not.
Quote by ItsThatDude
men and boys with normal functioning brains behave this way too, you learn about sex then you want it and pursue it, through hookups, girlfriends or whatever. you don't have to have matured to want it

surely you would agree that this is different to that, in that people without cognitive disorders are better able to understand the relationship between action and consequence.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by turdburgler
No I believe I'm a functioning, working and contributing member of society, retards on the hand are not.

This summer I was a delivery driver at our local Pizza Hut. I worked with a young man about my age with Down's named Brian. Brian didn't drive and his dad dropped him off and picked him up every day. He worked 5 days a week during the lunch rush through the afternoons. Brian had an avid sense of humor and was genuinely fun to work with.

Brian worked the buffet by himself switching the old pizzas, breadsticks, etc for fresh ones. He also cleaned the store and did dishes occasionally. He was good at his job and did it just as well as any normal person could have without any help whatsoever. He was what I would call a "functioning, working and contributing member of society." He was also what some might call a "retard."

In summation, you're a jackass.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by instagata0
surely you would agree that this is different to that, in that people without cognitive disorders are better able to understand the relationship between action and consequence.

well, yes. but i think in a case like this, the fact he has a disorder is almost semantic. Are you saying that the mother would be wrong to subject him to a sexual encounter? is that the ethicality that we're arguing here? sorry it's early and i'm a bit confused
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by snipelfritz
This summer I was a delivery driver at our local Pizza Hut. I worked with a young man about my age with Down's named Brian. Brian didn't drive and his dad dropped him off and picked him up every day. He worked 5 days a week during the lunch rush through the afternoons. Brian had an avid sense of humor and was genuinely fun to work with.

Brian worked the buffet by himself switching the old pizzas, breadsticks, etc for fresh ones. He also cleaned the store and did dishes occasionally. He was good at his job and did it just as well as any normal person could have without any help whatsoever. He was what I would call a "functioning, working and contributing member of society." He was also what some might call a "retard."

In summation, you're a jackass.

baww you hurt my feelings. Really your defending them by listing one who worked at a pizza shop. Hmm that takes as much elbow grease and thinking as well either a moron (retard) or a 12 year old kid. Sorry but you just proved my point that retards can only do what 16 year olds do for spared cash.
Quote by boreamor
Well, he can have it.

But I don't see why this is newsworthy.

It's in the Daily Mail. I would imagine if this was in print (not online) it would in between an article about which foreigners we should hate and another article on what food group is going to kill us next.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Quote by turdburgler

You know, it is possible to have sex with girls and not impregnate them.

You did know that, didn't you?
Quote by turdburgler
baww you hurt my feelings. Really your defending them by listing one who worked at a pizza shop. Hmm that takes as much elbow grease and thinking as well either a moron (retard) or a 12 year old kid. Sorry but you just proved my point that retards can only do what 16 year olds do for spared cash.

"You're"

Jesus! You're such a ****ing retard.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by BigFatSandwich
You know, it is possible to have sex with girls and not impregnate them.

You did know that, didn't you?

Of course, do you think a retard can operate a rubber?
Quote by turdburgler

Oh dear. We've got a moron.

*REPORTED*
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

edited
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
You people do realise that even if you 'weed out' 'retards' by not allowing them to have children we will still have then in the genepol anyway?
Quote by turdburgler

I think I get it, now. You're jealous because a kid with downs is going to lose his virginity before you lose yours.
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I think I get it, now. You're jealous because a kid with downs is going to lose his virginity before you lose yours.

Yep that must be it darn my jealously of the retards mojo.
*shakes head in disappointment*

....things around UG just ain't like they were back in '04.
Banging on a trash can
turburgler is now banned. The system works.

Page 1 of 2