Page 1 of 2
I posted this elsewhere and got almost no helpful information.

Other than their outrageous prices, I don't know anything about Warwicks. I'm assuming they're top of the line, but how, why? Tell me everything I should know about them, their sound, tone, what music they're generally suited for, etc., anything. What makes them stand out ahead of other brands and what makes them (in many people's opinions) better?

Please please PLEASE don't turn this into a "I own/have played (this) model and loved it!" thread, that's what killed this discussion "elsewhere". Thanks everyone.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
they have a lot of growl, and they use different woods
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
They're extremely high quality- Germany has always been a fantastic country in terms of the manufacture of musical instruments, and Warwick is no different. They are a very marmite brand, I find though. Some people love them, and think they're worth every penny. Others think they're crappy looking and overpriced. Te neck is usually the main gripe- it isn't your standard Fender style neck.

They do have that signiture growl, which a lot of people love. Of all the warwicks I've played, I've never been let down tone wise, and I found the pil finished necks very, very fast. They're also a joy to look at. To really "get" warwick, you need to get your hands, and ears, on one.
The price is because they're all made in Germany, and unlike MIA, not only is that worth something, but it also means they have to charge for import to the States. Dont gripe about it, we get that price hike with Fender and Musicman.
They normally use quite unusual wood choices, like zebranol and wenge necks, and their high end stuff is quite a turn-on for wood fanatics. They also typically have quite high-end electronics by MEC, which I think is their in-house brand, and all their basses are active. Their high-end stuff quite often has very extensive electronics packages.
They stand out because of their looks, which are almost obtusely not-Fenders, and their translucent finishes which show off their exotic woods.
In terms of styles they're used for, its a curious combination of rock/metal and sort of dance/pop. The marketing is generally aimed at metal-style genres.
As far as I can work out, they're a bigger player in Europe than in the States, where they really vie for top spot with Fender, particularly at the higher end.
Another Warwick pro is their Custom Shop, but Im not sure about availability Stateside. They also have all the best spots by the pool.
Looking at your current gear, I might perhaps suggest the Warwick Rockbass series if you're looking to upgrade to Warwick, which are their low-end basses.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Last edited by the_underling at Mar 17, 2009,
check out the site it has alot of good info.

www.warwick.de
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
the neck is squarish, it is usually made of wenge or ovangkol, giving it a wooly, snappy tone.
the MEC pickups accentuate the wood really well, being a transparent sound though accentuating the punchier sounds. the body wood, usually bubinga, gives a deep, clear throaty growl- especially on the bubinga Corvette.

I prefer the ash models to be honest, it sounds really good, much more chimey and trebly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ Hm, they refer to their necks as being 'U-shaped', where the classic Fender profile is referred to as a 'C-shape' profile.
Attendez la creme!

Quote by the_underling
^ Hm, they refer to their necks as being 'U-shaped', where the classic Fender profile is referred to as a 'C-shape' profile.

they're all I shaped though

but really, U doesn't describe it right.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Also, don't forget the insane degree of stability and construction you get with Warwicks. The necks are laminated; being composed of several pieces of ovangkol (or wenge in the past, or maple on certain models) glued with the grain running in opposition to the adjacent pieces. This adds a tremendous amount of strength to the neck, preventing warpage and adding resistance to humidity shifts. In addition, ovangkol and wenge (and most maples) are incredibly strong, heavy, and dense woods that are incredibly stable. Second, the trussrod is a modern double-expanding type, not the old Fender style that compresses the neck lengthwise (which will eventually distort the neck). This gives the neck longevity and even greater stability. Finally, all bolt-on necks since 1995 and all neck-through necks since 1997 have dual steel support bars running from the 24th to the 12th fret. This stabilizes that region of the neck, and almost elimates the possiblity of warpage and S-curving.

In short, the necks are freaking bulletproof. It could not have been done any better.

I live in Michigan, which is in a region of the world where it can go from -20F with zero humidity in the winter, to over 100F in the summer and 100% humidity. I currently own four Warwicks, purchasing my first back in Feb. 2008, the second in May 2008, the third in Aug. 2008, and my fourth in Jan. 2009. Since the initial purchase of each bass, I set up everything once, and they have remained perfect to this day, including the first bass. It hasn't budged through any of the seasonal changes.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 17, 2009,
You really should just go and try some Warwicks out... and if you hanker after one, look into either second-hand, or getting one imported from Germany/England.

^Of course they're bulletproof. Zey're German. They have OCD about that kind of thing.

Quote by the humanity
they're all I shaped though

but really, U doesn't describe it right.

http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=WOOD_NECK&submenuID=14620&katID=10999&cl=EN

Well, Im running out of letters to describe it... \_/ ?
Attendez la creme!

call it squared Mr. Ling.

and Warwick is the primary reason for German pride. screw German vehicles. they can make wood sound ALIVE.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If I were Victor Wooten, I'd say that Warwick necks are:

*puts on tree hugger voice*

"Like music, the warwick neck is like nature, which is my second language, don't you know? WHEN DID I TELL YOU TO STOP SUCKING MY PENIS?!? Anyways, the necks are like a wide river, with a smoothly rounded bed, and rather steep sides."
Warwicks indeed are marmite basses, me personally, I LOVE their sound, but HATE their necks.

But I won't here a word against their craftmanship, just becuase I don't like their style, doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. With all the great woods and styling they also look gorgoues,and have a VERY devout following.

Germany really does kick ass with high end basses, Sandberg being another excellent high-end modern bass making company, though ususally with more traditional stylings than Warwicks. (I will try and stop going on aboput Sandberg, Im just still in the honeymoon period of my relationship with mine, sorry )

But yes, Warwicks are amazing, BUT PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY!!! Because you may not like them
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
So whats with all the warwick love lately, apart from the necks i do like them. But you know, just cause a mod got one, doesnt mean we all do.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by the humanity
call it squared Mr. Ling.

and Warwick is the primary reason for German pride. screw German vehicles. they can make wood sound ALIVE.

Heh, German pride..... I have four Wicks, my dad drives a Volkswagen Rabbit and BMW motorcycles, and my next car is going to be a 70's BMW. And we drink German beer.

Prost!

BTW, your new Warwick is gorgeous, Delirium.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As far as I remember, there's always been a lot of warwick love on this forum.

yes but we dont hear about it, its like a bedroom secret.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by mountaindew88
and my next car is going to be a 70's BMW.

But not one of the new ones, because they look like a crushed tin can.

And see what I mean about Warwicks giving the wood lovers spontaneous fibrilation?
Attendez la creme!

Quote by fatgoogle

we have used that bubinga boomer to rally the troops.

I have been a Warwick fan a while.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Wow thanks guys, I'll be sure to try one out if I ever find one, I'm very curious about seeing how they sound and feel from the way they were described.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Helbent Revenge
Wow thanks guys, I'll be sure to try one out if I ever find one, I'm very curious about seeing how they sound and feel from the way they were described.

expect it to seem rough, that's how they first felt to me.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Because they're finished with an oil, that lets you feel the pores of the grain...

I feel like asking about exfoliating the damn things now...
Attendez la creme!

Quote by the_underling
Because they're finished with an oil, that lets you feel the pores of the grain...

I feel like asking about exfoliating the damn things now...

oh they're over puberty by now...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Or so you'd hope... you don't want it falling in love with the Sadowsky in the shop corner, then writing blogs about it with your amplifier.
Attendez la creme!

Quote by fatgoogle

*looks very confused*
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Warwicks are... unique to say the least.

For starters, their tone is a very distinctive growl, that led to the term "Warwick growl". I've yet to find another bass that sounds like a warwick... each model tends to be a variation on this sound, but the Thumb typifies (sp?) it. Theyre also suprisingly versatile, but that warwick tone is always there. Imagine a darker, angerier stingray with bigger balls and youre in the ballpark, at least, thats how I'd put it. The tone comes largely from the oddball choice of woods (fyi, ovangkol, the standard warwick neck wood, sounds like wenge) and the MEC electronics. Even the alder/maple Rockbass budget line have a unique tone, but nothing on a german warwick.

The necks seem to divide opinion. Theyre quite thin, but feel very large, due mainly to their very square profile... Its like an exaggerated D shape. In my opinion, on a four sting, it feels odd, but bearable, on the fivers, its just right.

They also have (with the exception of the streamer) very unique body shapes. This makes the thumb the most comfortable shape ive ever sat with, but the neck dive is an issue... the longer horned corvette and infinitys are fine though.

The quality is also brilliant.

If the warwick feel and sound is your thing, go for it, but if its not, dont go bagging them for being overpriced crap. Theyre unique basses designed to fill a niche.

Sorry about blabbering on, and correct me if you dont agree with anything.

Brodie.
Last edited by Brodie337 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by the_underling
Or so you'd hope... you don't want it falling in love with the Sadowsky in the shop corner, then writing blogs about it with your amplifier.

if they fall in love with a Sadowsky, they no doubt have issues.

or are an ugly Thumb with no better option.

BUUUUUUUURN!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you're one of those "I'll never pay $1000 for a bass" or "I don't need a Fender cuz my Squire (sic) is just as good" folks, there's nothing we can say that'll change your mind.

They're one of if not the only modern bass companies that is solely a bass company. None of their designs are guitar-derived, and were designed as basses from day 1. They use many unique woods and combinations of such. They have an extreme attention to detail and do not cheap out (in a traditional sense) on any facet of production. They're very modern thinkers.

I still say their neck shapes are the best in the book. The 5-string spacing is a bit on the tight side in some situations, but the shape is great. I trully believe if you think that a Warwick neck is too thick, you have poor technique. The neck literally starts to be shaped like a hand properly holding a bass around the 12th fret. The deepness at the first fret reflects the positioning of a thumb of an outstretched hand. They're the exact opposite of many Ibanez basses, namely Soundgear, and I'm very happy about that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 17, 2009,
+1 to fitz's comments. Also, keep in mind that many Wicks, especially, the Thumb, weren't intended to be held balls-low. Yes, the neck is chunkier than many, but if you play with good technique it should facilitate your playing, not hinder it.

Another great thing about Warwicks is that everything is adjustable. EVERYTHING. The nut height, the height of each string over the nut, the overall bridge height, the height and spacing of each saddle (and there's a locking screw for each function of the bridge to save your settings), hell- even the tuning keys are adjustable for tightness. Yay German overengineering!
God, you guys are making me G.A.S. over Warwick's 6 string $$ Corvette all over again like never before. >_<
very correct, the soundgear basses, which sound really nice also, have a different sound, a more produced sound, and a very slick, manufactured look, and a very designed for- feel.

the new prestige however- are they not a step in the right direction? wenge/bubinga lam, mahogany body, and a more ranged preamp EQ?

it really looks promising to me, I do like the look. and they have some nice pickups.

and I would not mind owning that 6 string prestige- after my Fender and Warwick purchases, of course.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I personally absolutely love the tone of Warwick's. It is so versatile. The only con really for me is the neck, I find them to chunky but that's because of playing my skinny little Status for too long. All in all I think they are great basses but as said above they are not for everyone's tastes.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by thefitz
If you're one of those "I'll never pay $1000 for a bass" or "I don't need a Fender cuz my Squire (sic) is just as good" folks, there's nothing we can say that'll change your mind.

They're one of if not the only modern bass companies that is solely a bass company. .

Sandberg. Also German. Bass only.

That's why MIG pwns MIA.

Warwicks are more "crazy" than Sandberg though, as in more strange wood choices, although you can get cool woods from both companies. Warwick also have more interesting shapes, I would have one, I just can't deal with the necks.

£1000 + basses are worth the money, if you appreciate sound/feel. IMO
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Whoa... whoa... guys. I've read your comments. At some point you made me think that you can't tell any difference between a Rogue bass and a Fodera.

You can flame me, or whatever, but trust me, I know a thing or two about bass guitars.

Now. Rule #1 about Warwicks. They are only good if they were made before year 2000. This does not apply to Custom shop models.

Rule #2. Whoever says that MEC electronics are good/good quality/sound awesome should be punched in the nuts. Our guitar tech/luthier/guru (the one who does electronics only) hooked up a perfectly tuned Streamer Stage II '99 5 string to a spectrum analyzer, just to find out that these pickups/electronics quality of signal was comparable to that of say, entry level POS Ibanez, the noise was appauling (no noiseshielding) and as for versatility - there wasn't any! Huge gaps at several frequencies. The owner swapped all capacitors for real GERMAN ones, not chinese (as used), all wiring for heavy gauge silver, and the pickups for Kuznetzov's custom pickups (i have these in my BB-605). And yeah. MEC pickups build quality is utterly crappy. POS wiring, POS soldering, POS everything. With upgraded electronics that bass really came to life. 800 bucks job though. I'm scared to think how much it would cost in the US...

Rule #3 quality in general Warwick whatever GmBH employs turkish migrants and automatic machinery. The machinery might be german! So prolly there is some german quality there somewhere. But sure is better than american crap we get in our stores nowadays.

The good stuff!

- Love their balance. Though I would prefer an Ash corvette to a bubinga one anyday. And with passive electronics, cuz I'd rather hook it up to me tube preamp that use "the super-duper on board MEC controls that only control lows at about 50Hz and highs at friggin 100000000000hz (jokin, but the curve shoulda been at around 3kHz)

-Love the neck. I only played their 5 stringed models, love the neck.

-Adjustable nut. Though most players I know swap it for ivory one right away, it's still nice to have that extra headroom.

-EVERY PRE 2000, and especially pre 1996 WARWICK IS A GEM!!! This is a bass that won't fall apart, won't warp if you subject it to sudden humidity/temp change, it's just plain great.

But new warwicks without proper and further invesment are S H I T.
you must be crazy. I'm not going to argue electronics with you, but qualitywise, there is no difference.

they streamlined the process, but they feel the same. no, really. they sound different, if anything, because they changed the necks to ovangkol. the wenge was better, but it sounds really good still.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

You just said that all Warwicks pre 2000 are great, but said a 1999 Streamer Stage II was as bad as an entry level Ibanez.

Both control cavities of Warwicks I own (2005 custom shop Vampyre LTD, 2001 Corvette ProLine with 1998 Wenge neck) basically have no soldering at all - they're all microchipped and connected with pin clips. The control cavities were entirely plastic, meaning there's absolutely no magnetic interference from it. The preamps (granted moreso on the Vampyre) were dead silent - I can't imagine complaining at all. Slight white noise only - no hum, no buzz. And this is on an SWR which is not known for its grounding.

The EQ points on a 2-band Warwick EQ are at 100Hz and 2kHz, PERIOD. On a three band, they're where they are on every single bass with a 3-band EQ. That Streamer you tried had a 3-band.

Humans can try to make the same bass 1000 times and come up with 1000 different instruments. Warwick's top of the line machines deliver consistant cuts of top of the line woods.

Post 1996 Warwick necks have steel reinforcement bars that prevent temperature warping. They also have volutes that protect pre-1996 Warwick's famously fragile headstock joints. Those criticisms you mentioned only seem to apply to the instruments that you said were the best.

Anything else?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 18, 2009,
there was some exaggeration going on. And look - you have a Proline, and a custom shop. Once again, not your average Corvette.

As for those eq's - once again, some exageration, and I was referring to a std active Corvette this time. I didn't feel the curve being at 100 hz, to tell you the truth, nor can I say that the highs were at 2 kHz. I give a solid 3 out of 5 for low mids, and mids in general.

Yes, I did say that all pre 2000 warwicks are great. Now add the word COMPARED, and finish the sentence with "...to the new ones". That 99 was awesome, but with crappy electronics. It's your right to protect your stuff, as is mine to criticize.

And let's not forget how we understand noise. Or white noise, or brown, or pink for that matter. A tuned Fodera or an Alembic are noiseless. Unfortunately I have only played an Emperor 6 string for 45 minutes, but that was some bass. It was NOISELESS, or as close to this as possible. That Streamer bass was noisy.

As for warping I'm still to find a warped bass. My BB605 for some reason was produced in 1991, although I'm not sure they even made those back then. It has taken so much damage. Dropped, slammed into things, frozen for several days in -25 Centigrade, then heated to +60, played in sauna like venues, and it is still perfectly straight. I'm so lucky with it, I can't imagine parting with it. Replaced PU's, tuned the electronics - and that's it. So these "steel rods of doom" are still to be justified.

And also there's an issue of being subjective. In the Americas Warwicks are expensive. Here, we can get one for as low as 500 Euro, and a Thumb would cost only 1200, new. So we treat them accordingly. Once again, i'm not talking Custom Shop, or Proline.
Last edited by Bassilo at Mar 18, 2009,
stop gettin so jumpy and defensive with these "no comment allowed" aguments, and "anything else?" in the end. It makes me think that you reply, while fevereshly spraying rabid saliva all over the keyboard and grumbling and mumbling insults my way. I don't like when this stuff becomes personal, and you turn it that way. Let's be more polite and considerate to each other. Especially on the internet.
Last edited by Bassilo at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by Bassilo
And son, stop gettin so jumpy and defensive with these "no comment allowed" aguments, and "anything else?" in the end. It makes me think that you reply, while fevereshly spraying rabid saliva all over the keyboard and grumbling and mumbling insults my way. I don't like when this stuff becomes personal, and you turn it that way. Let's be more polite and considerate to each other. Especially on the internet.

You calling him "son" is very condescending- not exactly polite and considerate either.
even Behringer will make a good amp once and a while, Yamaha is a much more trusted company. my Ibanez starter also didn't warp until I defretted it, and that was more the action got uber high.

there are also bad versions of every bass. I played an awful MIM Fender, and all the others I've played were quite fine.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Page 1 of 2