View poll results: Get a new amp?
Keep the marshall
1 3%
Get a new one
27 93%
Don't use any amp
1 3%
Voters: 29.
Hey guys. I have a Marshall MG100DFX (Yeah, yeah. I know. It sucks). However, the deal is, I never really use it, because I've recently started using my stereo speakers. Right now I have the following setup:
Guitar->Boss metalzone->Toneport->[laptop, EQ/FX software etc]->Stereo installation
So I'm thinking about selling my Marshall. But I was wondering, would it be worth it to put another amp (maybe just a head), between the metalzone and the toneport? Like a 30W tube amp or something, for stuff like effects and some better distortion sound perhaps? Will this give me an increase in sound? Also, which specific amps do you recommend? I mainly play metal. See my guitars below. TNX
sell your mt2 and the piece of crap mg and buy a tube amp...then mic it if you want to use your computer to record....simple.
Thanks for the suggestion, but miking it will come with the extra cost of getting a mike (obviously) or maybe even two, and I would have to run on higher volumes (which my neighbours wouldn't like I guess). Also I like the metalzone a lot and having a pedal for quick switching is sweet and I would miss it if I didn't have it anymore. So would a tube amp be worth it even if i never really use the distortion on it anyway?
yes dude...tubes are just better than solid states imo....personally i d sell it all....then you get tube amp and a nice mic (shure sm57) for under 100....less than the toneport right? then you have a great sound for recording AND for practicing if you ever need to jam with a band.
Quote by MetalGrayFox
would it be worth it to put another amp (maybe just a head), between the metalzone and the toneport? Like a 30W tube amp or something, for stuff like effects and some better distortion sound perhaps? Will this give me an increase in sound?

no. the head would asplode. it needs to be connected to a speaker cab with matching ohmage otherwise you'll run into problems.

a decent high gain combo like the peavey jsx or mini colossal would wipe the floor with the toneport.
I got the toneport for €40 so a good mic would be more expensive. I also couldn't use the effects and impulses on my laptop if I would mic the amp. Maybe I can just get some reverb/delay effect pedal or something

Just wondering: Could I buy a tube amp head and put it on top of my MG, run it through the clean channel so I only use the speaker? In other words, use my MG as a cabinet? Or will this go all wrong?
Last edited by MetalGrayFox at Mar 17, 2009,
just keep the toneport for recording. sell the mg and the metalzone, use that money to get a tube amp.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
dude no.....the toneport is a little toy compared to a tube amp you can get...i d say leave your computer out of unless you want to record (in which case use a mic).
Quote by georgakis187
dude no.....the toneport is a little toy compared to a tube amp you can get...i d say leave your computer out of unless you want to record (in which case use a mic).

This, and also what the dude with the Jackson "J" in the avatar said. Do NOT buy a tube head without a cab, it's useless.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by haz_uk
a decent high gain combo like the peavey jsx or mini colossal would wipe the floor with the toneport.

The Mini Colossal sounds like ass.

Quote by Robino_Ibanez
just keep the toneport for recording. sell the mg and the metalzone, use that money to get a tube amp.

+1

buy a tube amp, buy a tube amp, buy a tube amp.

he already said he wanted a tube amp, he said what kinda genres he played. instead of useless bandwagoning, why not actually recommend something.

/rant.

TS, you might want to look into a B-52 AT-112 or Randall RG-50TC. A Bugera 6262 or 333 would also fit the bill quite nicely. If you're willing to go used, you could probably find a Peavey 6505 or 5150 combo in your range. Maybe even a JSX combo? Also, Peavey is about to release a 6505 112 that should be priced somewhere between $5-600. You could also do a Blackstar HT-5 with a distortion or OD pedal.
For recording, what you can do (if you've got the cash), is get a load box and run it into your toneport rig.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Thanks theoreticmusic! Some part of me is telling me to buy a tube amp, but another part of me doesn't want to let go of my laptop in the rig. It opens up so many (mostly free) possibilities, like detailed equalizing, reverb, delay, and I've become a huge fan of signals. If I'm understanding your post right, does this mean I can't run a tube amp into my toneport? Don't most amps have a line-out? Would I waste money by buying a combo amp and running it through my toneport? Could I better buy something like a Blackstar HT-DISTX?
some tube amps do not have a line out, but you could always buy a simulation speaker and plug the speaker jack (if you buy an amp with a speaker that plugs in) into that, then into your laptop.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
yes, it is possible to do what you have said, but i would still get a cab for live stuff.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Idea: Get a tube amp with an fx loop, and run your laptop in the fx loop. This will let you use all your software fx and easily record stuff (you would need a cab simulator).
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
get the 5150 combo, they're usually pretty cheap and will hold its own until you need to play a big venue.
dont try to stereotype crusties, its just a dumb move