hi i was wondering would it be possible to fit a switch to my les paul black beauty that would cut the middle pick up out so i could just use the neck and bridge at a flick of a switch if so how would i go about fitting one
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
probably involve a kill switch style wiring for that.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
you dont have a wiring diagram that would explain it to me do you? just im not the most electronical minded person lol

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by gangsta_rick
hi i was wondering would it be possible to fit a switch to my les paul black beauty that would cut the middle pick up out so i could just use the neck and bridge at a flick of a switch if so how would i go about fitting one
All Gibson LP 3-Pickup models use the same wiring.

1 - Bridge Only
2 - Bridge and Middle
3 - Neck Only

Having a switch to turn your Middle pickup off accomplishes nothing in getting you the Bridge and Neck combination. A Neck-On switch would make more sense. That would add 2 combinations.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
*post*

whoops, I didnt realize that's how 3 humbucker LP's switches were wired

..so yeah, ts, a neck on switch would give you the cobinations you're after...
yeah sorry i should of relised lol. i just noticed last night. ive had it for a week and i thought that the middle position used all of the pickups and i just thought mine wasnt working because my switch was a bit dodgey. im thinking about getting some seymour duncans fitted am i right in thinking that the neck and middle would be the same kind of pickup?

Paul Kossoff = Genius
My personal suggestion, which I believe was touched on, would be to install two push pulls.

I would wire up the 3 way switch the same as a standard LP (bridge, bridge/neck, middle) and install a push pull pot to add the middle pickup to the mix (where you want to send the signal through your tone controls is up to you, but I'd probably share it with the neck) and then a push/pull to kill the bridge/middle pickups so that you could utilize ALL possible pickup combos. I'd probably then take it a couple steps further and install two more push pulls for coil splitting, as well... but I'm a mad scientist of guitars... not a good one, but yeah....
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
thats sounds like just what i want where could i find a wiring diagrams to do that as i wouldnt have a clue where to start

Paul Kossoff = Genius
^you'd probably have to just use bits and peices of different ones..

chances are there isn't a 'premade' diagram floating around for that..

I'll draw up a simple thing in a sec
...ultimate wiring diagrams thread, search it. if they dont have one, youll have to make one or do as the guy above me suggested.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
actually, a suggestion id make is to rewire it so that the three way has bridge/bridge+mid/mid and a neck on switch. this would allow every possible combo of pickups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking

3 humbuckers

1 volume/tone is for the brigde, the other set of vol/tone is for the middle and neck.

the push/pull switch on the bridge volume turns the bridge and neck on/off together (allows for 'middle only' position)

the push/pull on the neck and middle's volume is to turn the middle pickup on/off

the 3-way is standard neck/neck + bridge/ bridge when the middle is turned off

edit: crap, I just realized that this way doesnt allow for bridge and middle together...

I can redo it if you want, I guess

edit2: meh, I'm not gonna redo it, I"m going out now..

if you're still stuck I could help you out later..