So I don't have the time to continue my build, which really sucks, but I have enough time to mod out my bass. Its a Squier Precision Bass, fairly old, and I've been using it with my band. I'm getting the ESP D6, but I wanna hold on to my 4 string to play easier songs, so here I am asking for mod ideas. I wanna keep them fairly cheap and "garage"-ey

I've already decided that I'm going to "sharpen" the inside of the horns, so I have better reach on it, but other than that, I can't think of anything, except maybe switching out the bridge for one that I can actually adjust the saddles on (mine is busted, so every time I rest my finger on the E it hits the pickup).

I also wanna change it aesthetically, so any suggestions are highly welcome.

EDIT: Mod 1 done. Pics at bottom
Last edited by Prisoner5 at Mar 22, 2009,
Quote by Prisoner5
So I don't have the time to continue my build, which really sucks, but I have enough time to mod out my bass. Its a Squier Precision Bass, fairly old, and I've been using it with my band. I'm getting the ESP D6, but I wanna hold on to my 4 string to play easier songs, so here I am asking for mod ideas. I wanna keep them fairly cheap and "garage"-ey

I've already decided that I'm going to "sharpen" the inside of the horns, so I have better reach on it, but other than that, I can't think of anything, except maybe switching out the bridge for one that I can actually adjust the saddles on (mine is busted, so every time I rest my finger on the E it hits the pickup).

I also wanna change it aesthetically, so any suggestions are highly welcome.

I'd say go for Gotoh 201 bridge, a new nut (im guessing your current one is a little worn down?) for nuts, I just got some Graph Tech TUSQ nuts and I like them, maybe a new pickguard? some new knobs?

I think you need a bridge most though, I pick the Gotoh because it's half the price of the Leo Quan BadAss11. Aesthetically, I always imagine P basses and that punky, dirty, worn out look.
Also, do you forsee any problem with putting a j-bass neck pickup into it?

EDIT: Nvm, Its cheaper just to get a full set of EMG Hybrid Selects and cut on the pickguard to put in the big pup.
Last edited by Prisoner5 at Mar 17, 2009,
I've never seen a Squier P bass Standard/Affinity with a maple fretboard before. The only time I can remember seeing it is on a JV series.... It may just be an older one at a time they used Maple fretboards. And it's got the smaller machine heads, used on the 5 stringers. Hmm what's the serial number on this?

Sorry I never replied earlier, I never noticed. I've only dealt with the 201, which appears to be a little chunkier.
Quote by Prisoner5
VN303148
its not even really a fretboard per se, its directly on the neck.
And thnks forstringwonder

Aaah a Korean model, and it would appear they came with those miniture tuning pegs. Sorry, I was just wondering for myself because i'd never seen one like this before. If you're interested at all, you have a 1993 Made in Korea P bass . Black on black with a maple fretboard looks beautiful, I feel a gold Gotoh 201, gold tuning heads (remember that they're the smaller Fender sized ones!) and gold knobs will make this a great bass. From what I understand, the pick ups on these are very good already.

EDIT : Incase you were wondering about my questions, I was scared incase this was a VJ series, which would sell for a lot more than say a MIM Fender.
Last edited by Micehorns at Mar 23, 2009,