Hey guys,

My bass player is getting some fairly bad injuries to his finger tips, and oddly enough he doesn't play bass more than 4-5 hours a week in rehearsals and then the gigs we play. Do you guys have any tips as far as keeping his fingers from shredding up like that? He's been playing bass for a couple years now, I would have assumed that the callousing would have happened by now.
Make sure he's playing with the pads of his fingers rather than the tips, and if he plays hard, tell him to turn the volume up (recusitate him post-cardiac arrest) and play softer. Perhaps change out his strings from steel to nickel, assuming they arent already, which should help. Apparently saltwater helps toughen fingers up, but I havent tried myself...
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
Just play more often, and if fingers blister rest them for a while to let them heal, they'll callous up pretty well soon enough. Works fine for me.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
if he plays for 4 hours straight daily for a week, his fingers will hurt, but he will have great calluses the size of your mother's heart.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i think he meant his bassist plays for 4-5 hours during rehersals, and gigs.
he needs to play daily in order to build up the callous.
4-5 straight during rehersal will blister his fingers, and then resting for theh rest of the week will caus his fingers to heal and the calous he has built up.
Daily practice!! if not the every two days, he needs to play more than 1 session a week.
^what I meant was that is what the guy should do, then he be shredding like Sheehan and the guitarist we got here will go whimpering about how much his bassist makes him look bad.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom