Hey, I've been writing songs for a while now, and I've used chords that sound good together... But can someone give me the whole spectrum of which chords and scales I can use to make a good song? I don't know much from theory, and most of my stuff is just played randomly. I just want some material to get my hands on and create something, like Opeth do with a million different chords in every song... I hope you get the idea, and help me!

Oh and the song will be like prog metal, like Opeth's stuff, and will go from slow and sad to heavy and thrashy... Thanks!!!
Might be worth learning that theory - it may seem a chore now, but it'll help loads in the long run. If you learn about scales and how chords are constructed, then you'll be able to work out your own forever and in infinite variations
Ok, I'll try and learn it, but can anyone give me some scales and chords to practise my creativity on?
Quote by ingames
Ok, I'll try and learn it, but can anyone give me some scales and chords to practise my creativity on?

It doesn't work if you don't know theory.

there are 100's of scales and chords.

I can't be bothered to write em all down, and even if I would, without knowing theory alot of chords are ambiguous and are inverted and slash chords.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
There are several retail and online stores that sell guitar posters showing a huge variety scales and chords. Usually really cheap too.
Away Message: I fell out of my chair, this may take awhile.
look up a chart that has all the key signatures. Any of the chords in that key signature well work together
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I'd like to add a metaphorlycal sentence, because i'm bored.

I will take a car.

Chords and scales are like all the parts of the car. Music theory is how to use those parts.

You can know all the car parts, but where to put em in the car without knowing theory, means you're just experimenting and see if it "works".

So if you know music theory, you know what fits where. IF you know these "rules" you can break em and try out new stuff and experiment.

Learning theory can help you out alot, as long as you take it as "advice" and try out new stuff.

I'd like to see theory as "experiences" that other people made, that proofed to have a popular accepted "nice" effect.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 17, 2009,
Sounds like you want the easy way out. Which is fantastic, I'm just as lazy as the next guy, problem is, there is no easy way in music.

Study your ass off.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Learn some principles about root movement in chords and then learn chord substitution.

Chord substitution will allow you to take a simple chord progression using 3 chords as a starting place and turn it into a much more complicated chord progression using a different chord for every beat if that's what you want.

Music theory is really helpful. But the truth is even with music theory there is still a lot of trial and error. (Just not as much because theory points you toward the likely suspects.)

Best of Luck
Si
Well, if you plan on learning all the scales and chords, it's best to learn them by their notes and not how they're played in form (which to me, is like playing across three frets, from top string to bottom)

if you guys could explain it better than I can, please do

One thing that has helped me is learning songs, that my favorite bands write and then I learn songs that are in the same key, so it's pretty easy.

Some musicians that helped me were Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers (try and learn their jams and improvised solos, thats REALLY helpful) Steve Vai, The Fall of Troy,

I just learned their songs and it really helped me because I understood, by the tabs, what notes went with what chords

So by learning a bunch of different songs that have the same or different chords but can still fit together and can go in the same keys, it really helped me
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness