Hey,

so i've got this acoustic guitar and i've always thought it was hard to play because of the strings.

i've changed the strings, now it feels more bendable (playable)

BUT i'm having a problem with the main fretboard which is very dry ..i can't move my fingers on it smoothly like on my electric.

so is there any way i could deal with this?
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
Get a guitar/case humidifier and use that. Although you must use a hard case for it to be effective.

The other thing you could do is when you restring, take off all the strings and use some Lemon Oil(you can buy it at any hardware store). Just dab some lemon oil onto a (clean) rag and wipe it all over your fretboard. Let the oil sit on the fretboard for a minute or two and then just wipe off the excess. Repeat this process no more than twice a year.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I put lemon oil on the fretboard every now and then during string changes. It's actually lemon scented mineral oil, but everyone calls it lemon oil.

I live in the humid South and don't use a humidifier, but you need one in a lot of areas. If my acoustic was very expensive I would probably get a humidifier just to be safe.
Quote by captivate
Get a guitar/case humidifier and use that. Although you must use a hard case for it to be effective.

The other thing you could do is when you restring, take off all the strings and use some Lemon Oil(you can buy it at any hardware store). Just dab some lemon oil onto a (clean) rag and wipe it all over your fretboard. Let the oil sit on the fretboard for a minute or two and then just wipe off the excess. Repeat this process no more than twice a year.

ok well the thing is i don't have a hard case for my guitar ..i actually hang it on the wall.
besides that we don't have humidifiers here where i'm from =/

and i'll look for lemon oil very soon!
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
If your problem is just a dry fretboard, and not "OMG my soundboard is cracking, helpz me PLOXERZ!!!!"

theny the humidifier isnt SUPER important, the lemon oil will get you buy just fine, and it makes the fret board all nice and shiny too :p
alright that's cool
thanks for the advices!
-Dimebag Darrell
is it a rosewood board?

i know this is a stupid question being that i'm in the acoustic section. but there are other types of boards. some that dont get oiled.

ok with that said.
if it is rosewood. i like dunlop fretboard oil and conditioner.

it's to be used sparingly. only a couple times a year.

in addition crud can be taken off a guitar with a soft brush.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Fretboard-65-Ultimate-Lemon-Oil?sku=425264&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26028847
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
For acoustic guitars I think only the synthetic materials such as Micarta(like what I have on my Martin) don't get oiled. The only common fretboard materials for acoustic guitars are either rosewood or ebony. Woods such as maple are not used on acoustic guitars. I don't remember the reason why though.
Equipment:

i was actually thinking of micarta when i typed that. having one as well.

as for maple. it's used but only rarely.
in most cases because an unfinished feel is preferred and maple doesnt hold up well unfinished.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/messages/11/3231.jpg
other nice woods i'd like to own...
http://www.ellisguitars.com/features_fretboard.html
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 19, 2009,
Quote by captivate
For acoustic guitars I think only the synthetic materials such as Micarta(like what I have on my Martin) don't get oiled. The only common fretboard materials for acoustic guitars are either rosewood or ebony. Woods such as maple are not used on acoustic guitars. I don't remember the reason why though.

Actually, there's a Gibson with a maple board. I think it's some Elvis memorial guitar or something.

Just so you know, it looks horrendous
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Just play it a lot and rub your fingers on the fretboard. It sounds dumb but before i took a shower and my face was oily, I touched my face and rubbed the dry parts. Don't knock it before you try it.
Ummm......no.

Lemon oil dude.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
if its just the fretboard thats dry try lemon oil or i highly recommend ernie ball fret board conditioner. if its the whole instrument try an in case humidifier. in a pinch put a guitar stand in the bathroom and put the guitar on it while ur showering. the heat and moisture will penetrate the wood really well. fyi its hell on strings tho
^that's really not a great idea.

a flash humidity change isnt best at keeping a guitar stable.

really he just needs to keep it away from heaters and windows.
and to condition it a couple times of year.

they even have pocket humidifiers let you know if you're air is in a safe range.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ I agree.

Everything you do to a guitar must be in moderation. You can't just subject the guitar to such extremes. It's very bad for the guitar.
Equipment: