Does it irritate you when bands are labelled as progressive but really aren't?

This seems to be a modern phenomenon that's been running wild through the music industry in recent years. Whilst bands like Dreamtheater and Tool are getting labelled as progressive when in reality they offer nothing new - no change or originality - and entire genres full of cutting edge artists such as hip hop, noise and electronica are getting ignored despite their innovation, you know things aren't right. I guess this all started when people labelled bands such as yes and pink floyd as progressive, ignorant of the fact that the Beatles and Amon Düül II were the ones really pushing the boundaries. What are your thoughts, pit?

"Progressive rock (often shortened to prog or prog rock) is a form of rock music that evolved in the late 1960s and early 1970s as part of a "mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility." The term "art rock" is often used interchangeably with "progressive rock", but while there are crossovers between the two genres, they are not identical.

Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme."

Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Soft Machine and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Progressive rock came into most widespread use around the mid-1970s. While progressive rock reached the peak of its popularity in the 1970s and early 1980s, neo-progressive bands have continued playing for faithful audiences in the subsequent decades."
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition

I think you're definition of progressive rock is off. And Dream Theater rocks.
Edit: And I think hip hop is more popular than Dream Theater and Tool's type of music.
Last edited by protest000 at Mar 17, 2009,
It doesn't irritate me in the slightest.
Alternatively, it irritates me more than anything ever.

/thread.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
My thoughts : Shut up bitch. Did you ever think that progressive is being used to describe a genre of music, regardless of whether or not it actually progresses.

And are you seriously telling me that Tool has offered no change or originality?

If you can listen through their entire discography and say they haven't changed their sound at all, you are a ****ing moron.
what irritates me is people who cant enjoy music and have to label everything.
Sig space available, give me some praise
I dont think TS knows what prog music actually is
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I think it's actually to do with the use of new sounds and song structures whilst still retaining to a certain style (hence it's prog-rock). Hip-hop and electronica are completely different things all together.
I think no one in here knows Teegmans funny way of trolling people into discussion
Quote by JackalUK
I think no one in here knows Teegmans funny way of trolling people into discussion

Yeah I just looked at his profile.. Now I understand haha.
Quote by ross1234
what irritates me is people who cant enjoy music and have to label everything.

A shiny new donkey to this man.
Quote by JackalUK

I was tempted to post something about his coming out of the woodwork with a successful trolling, but thought better of it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
I was tempted to post something about his coming out of the woodwork with a successful trolling, but thought better of it.

I thouroughly enjoyed his anti-melody rant thread before.
Quote by aaciseric
I think it's actually to do with the use of new sounds and song structures whilst still retaining to a certain style (hence it's prog-rock). Hip-hop and electronica are completely different things all together.

If they used new sounds and song structures then they would be progressive. Labelling it as 'new for a particular genre' is like saying "hey, I'm the first Mexican person to **** an Irish girl in an igloo!' - congratulations, you may be alternative to the norm in your particular genre, but are in no way progressive or original.
I'm starting to see a strong trend towards 'delusion of grandeur' emerging from rock and metal genres, now that I think about it.
Didn't frenchy tell you to stop making retarded threads?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by teegman
Exactly.

It's my opinion that you have no clue what you're talking about.
Quote by JackalUK
I thouroughly enjoyed his anti-melody rant thread before.

It was a ripping read indeed.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Yeah, I wish people would know to tell the difference between real progressive stuff like Guns n Roses or Sepultura and all that poser progcore like Dream Theater, who are in no way whatsoever awesome at all.
🙈 🙉 🙊
As much as I would like to just ignore what TS has said, I fall victim. And as much as I am not a fan of Tool or Dream Theater I do give them more credit than I do modern Hip Hop artists, there hasnt been any sort of originality there in years in my opinion. Any ones you could consider fresh or original walk a thin wire with electronica or noise themselves. And you should realize that these great progessive (not the genre) acts or movements are typically largely ignored except by small groups when they are actually happening. (think Stooges, Kyuss, etc.) Other than that, just listen to what you want and feel what you want about music, I for one have quit letting other people's opinions on what they like and think about music (pop culture) give me a headache.
End Rant.
Quote by JackalUK

Yeah, its fun reading this thread.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.