I've been playing for about 6-7 months now, and I've gotten pretty good at playing chords, especially bar chords, and fingering melodies from songs already made. My main problem now is that I'm sort of in a rut. I want to make the next big leap to perhaps being able to improvise and solo, but I'm not sure where to start. I know you can't teach someone how to improvise, but does anyone have the same problem? And does anyone have any tips on getting unstuck? Thanks a lot!
im sure im not the only one but i had the same problem and ill tell you exactly what i got told. Learn scales! Ive just started learning them and its helped me a hell of a lot even though it does sound like hard work its fun when you get the hang of it.
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Well, I started by just trying out various single notes and putting them together.
Eventually you'll get better and better at this as you get to know your guitar and it's sounds.
By that time you'll probably have made up some awesome licks.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
Keep playing scales. Namely the minor pentatonic/blues scale (the latter just has one extra note). Eventually you'll be able to play them without thinking. Then its just a matter of playing around with those notes. You'll start to put together your own sense of phrasing and melody. Start coming up with riffs that sound good to you and play other peoples riffs. The best way to learn musical style is to listen to artists you enjoy.

And as with anything, practice, practice, practice.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Thanks for all the replies!
It seems like the most important thing I can do is to learn the scales. Does anyone know a good website that shows all the scale patterns, or at least a good number of them? Thanks again.
when i looked i couldnt find any websites so i bought a book from my local guitar shop.
Wanna know what gear i have? check my profile
Black Beauty Owners Group
Muddy Waters invented electricity

Paul Kossoff = Genius
Quote by invertedcat
Thanks for all the replies!
It seems like the most important thing I can do is to learn the scales. Does anyone know a good website that shows all the scale patterns, or at least a good number of them? Thanks again.

You don't need to learn a load of scale patterns, that's not going to help you at all.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just learn the 1st position of the minor pentatonic scale to start with, and either make yourself some blues jam tracks or download some, then start noodling. Limited yourself to about 3 notes to start with, and just play about with them, then when you get comfortable start adding notes in, till you using the whole scale in that position, with bends and slides and stuff. Then extend it up and down the neck by learning the other positions - or better yet, work them out for yourself.

Just don't expect to be able to produce awesome solos straight away - remember the pros have a whole catalogue of riffs they've used in the past to call upon, which you won't have yet. Most improvising isn't actually coming up with something brand new on the spot - its using what you already know and putting it together in different ways to suit the chord progression you're playing over.
Where can full scales and modes be found on a website? I'm interested in more scales/modes but I need a site that can show me the full scale/mode.
all guitar scales
Thats a great website, but personally I like the book The Guitar Grimoire. The book not only has all your different scales, it sets them out in all the positions, and includes 2 different sweep patterns for each position too, to help you move from one position to another. It also teaches you which chords to use with each scale and vic-versa. To top it all off, it lists all the scales in every mode too- a really handy thing when trying to learn modes.
Last edited by l3vity at Mar 18, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
Just learn the 1st position of the minor pentatonic scale to start with, and either make yourself some blues jam tracks or download some, then start noodling. Limited yourself to about 3 notes to start with, and just play about with them, then when you get comfortable start adding notes in, till you using the whole scale in that position, with bends and slides and stuff. Then extend it up and down the neck by learning the other positions - or better yet, work them out for yourself.

Just don't expect to be able to produce awesome solos straight away - remember the pros have a whole catalogue of riffs they've used in the past to call upon, which you won't have yet. Most improvising isn't actually coming up with something brand new on the spot - its using what you already know and putting it together in different ways to suit the chord progression you're playing over.

this is good advice. I'm only starting out too, but i realized while playing around with scales, that i would move around too much, and not THINK about what I'm playing, instead I would be HOPING that it would make sense musically.

I think it's important to THINK while your improvising and try to create a melody in your head, even if its cheesy and produce it on the guitar as best as you can. Start off with using a couple of notes then add on as you get more comfortable.

Also I'm surprised no one has mentioned www.chordbook.com

I think it's the best website out there for learning scales and chords.
I'm just starting out too lol - I basically gave him the same advice my teacher gave me a few weeks ago