Hi,
My buddy and I both have Tacoma's with the LR Baggs Miratone pickups. We also have the LR Baggs PADI and the Marshall AS50R. We've dialed in great sound for both guitar and vocals, but our music consists of a lot of finger-style lead work. I can play softer while he's doing his leads, but he still needs a volume boost. We're both metal heads from the day and back then we'd just hit the foot switch on our amp and BLAM! What I'm asking is if there is a specific volume boosting pedal that's indigenous to acoustic lead players to give the volume a boost or can we use just any old booster peddle? Thanks for the help!
Jason in Fresno
I know what you're looking for, but honestly, if you play quietly his solo should be loud enough. A volume boost can sound really unnatural, especially with an acoustic act.
best thing to do would probably be for the rhythm player to lower their volume as oppose to the lead raising volume. that way it will sound much more natural.
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

I agree with Hinro. What if you added an effect to emphasise the solo part? Bit of delay maybe? I dunno you'd have to experiment.

Failing that how unfeasable would it be to simply turn him up a little and then join in?
Thanks Free. Another suggestion: try playing less during the solos: if you're strumming chords, try letting them ring out, or palm mute a little, or pluck them lightly with your fingers. You can create some really great dynamics with 2 acoustics.
Since you're familiar with the Baggs Para D.I., you might like to know that Baggs is coming out with a new preamp/EQ/D.I. but with the addition of a built-in chromatic tuner and an adjustable foot-switchable boost for solos and such. It's called the Venue D.I. and it should be available this coming summer. Also, unlike the Para D.I., the Venue has a transformer-coupled full isolation ground lift on the D.I. out.
Last edited by carpepax at Mar 21, 2009,
Quote by carpepax
Since you're familiar with the Baggs Para D.I., you might like to know that Baggs is coming out with a new preamp/EQ/D.I. but with the addition of a built-in chromatic tuner and an adjustable foot-switchable boost for solos and such. It's called the Venue D.I. and it should be available this coming summer. Also, unlike the Para D.I., the Venue has a transformer-coupled full isolation ground lift on the D.I. out.

Thanks! I read about it a couple of weeks ago. It looks sweet, but a bit expensive. Then again...you won't know the real price till you see it on MF's website! LOL!!!
Well, I agree that in acoustic sets you should probably try to do it naturally....but what you can do if you need just a little bit of volume boost that won't really distort the sound, is a signal booster. You know those boosters that you put at the end of an effects chain because your signal has become lost in your 4059 pedals? Well, if its the only thing in your chain, you can press it to boost the guitars signal enough that it is a little louder, without changing the tone to any amount that is noticeable to anyone other than other musicians who are listening for it.

Just an idea. Some booster pedals give more of a boost than others. If you are a metal head then you might have one or two laying around already, and even if you don't they are fairly cheap. Might not give you enough volume, but if rhythm player dies down AND the guy boosts his signal, then it should work out fine.
Last edited by ReChord at Mar 24, 2009,