Page 1 of 2
Clean = clean.

If the amp doesnt create noise or distortion(and amps like JC120 certainly dont in clean setting, as they have a lot of negative feedback) then all it effectively is, is an amplifier and filter.

You would do just as good buying a big fat 31-band eq plugging it straight into the PA and twinking the clean sound to your need instead of buying fancy high end amps.

The only problem is, some guitarists are too lazy and want to be spoon fed with a good sound, which a plug-straight-in amp delivers to some extent and leaves the guitarist peace of mind that his tone is good and he needen't worry about it, even though further adjustment with eq would no doubt improve it.

The point? DONT WASTE MONEY ON CLEAN AMPS. The 50s are over, no need to use expensive tube amps to get clean sounds any more other than to show off.
Last edited by 1337void at Mar 17, 2009,
fail. go away. now. you're utterly and completely wrong.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Warmth, feel, and dynamics cannot be replicated by an EQ.

On a slightly similar note, i have a feeling your brain is simple enough to be reproduced in a lab.

Don't judge me.
Ummm What?

But what an apt name you have chosen to describe the validity of your argument, Void.
Hello
Last edited by .QOTSA. at Mar 17, 2009,
how about if someone wants to spend money on a clean that sounds nice?
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
dude. im sorry. just no.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
31-band EQ direct into PA pretty much = sterile, crap sound. Honestly, this is something i have tried, and it just can't beat having an amplifier which adds some sweet harmonics to the sound which the preamp stage produces.

anyway, this obvious trolling has been *reported*
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

That's good...
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Part of the beauty of a nice clean tone is that it is a little bit pushed. The warmth, depth and harmonics of a clean sound come from very very light overdrive - the tubes nice and cooking, or the speaker being pushed on a solid state amp. Its something you can't recreate at a low volume or with an EQ through a PA system, it simply won't sound anywhere near as good.

The jazz clean that I often use is actually the lightest overdrive, rolling the tone knob off so the sound gets a chunk to it when I hit a chord hard, but still has enough bite to be articulate, sometimes even overdriving lightly giving it a deeper, creamier texture when I dig in.

I really don't like overdriven/distorted sounds. I've found about 3 in total that I like, two of them are from pedals and the other is from a solid state amp, thus I feel like on a personal level, its a waste of money to buy an amp for a distorted sound (keep in mind I say on a personal level, every single person has a different tonal journey, and I still love rock and metal even if the tones arent what I hope to achieve.)
you clearly have never compared an amp to an eq into a mixer. please help further evolution by either a. cutting your head off with a blunt razor, b. jumping off the nearest cliff and landing on your head, or c. headbut a bear trap. thank you
Quote by theoreticmusic
Even 16-bit AD converters exceed the signal-to-noise ratio of guitar pickups, which means that tube amps by no mean have better dynamics or can even theoretically have due to noise being too high already in their input.

I would like you to elaborate on the warmth and feel as they could perhaps be important, but in order to debate over them in an academic manner, you need to define them and give examples first because they are very arbitrary words on their own(warmth could just mean more bass and feel more highs/whatever for someone uninformed like me)

Quote by Blompcube
31-band EQ direct into PA pretty much = sterile, crap sound. Honestly, this is something i have tried, and it just can't beat having an amplifier which adds some sweet harmonics to the sound which the preamp stage produces.

anyway, this obvious trolling has been *reported*
Sterility also needs to be defined here because it could just mean the excess of high end(>6kHz) frequencies, which guitar speakers cut off unlike full range PA speakers.

Quote by TimmyPage06
Part of the beauty of a nice clean tone is that it is a little bit pushed. The warmth, depth and harmonics of a clean sound come from very very light overdrive - the tubes nice and cooking, or the speaker being pushed on a solid state amp. Its something you can't recreate at a low volume or with an EQ through a PA system, it simply won't sound anywhere near as good.

The jazz clean that I often use is actually the lightest overdrive, rolling the tone knob off so the sound gets a chunk to it when I hit a chord hard, but still has enough bite to be articulate, sometimes even overdriving lightly giving it a deeper, creamier texture when I dig in.

I really don't like overdriven/distorted sounds. I've found about 3 in total that I like, two of them are from pedals and the other is from a solid state amp, thus I feel like on a personal level, its a waste of money to buy an amp for a distorted sound (keep in mind I say on a personal level, every single person has a different tonal journey, and I still love rock and metal even if the tones arent what I hope to achieve.)

i understand your argument for distortion and subtle overdrive over a clean sound is indeed enjoyable, but the original statement was concerning actual clean amps, like the JC120, which are incapable of producing a slight overdrive due to construction, yet remain extremely popular among (even non jazz) guitarists
Last edited by 1337void at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by 1337void
Clean = clean.

If the amp doesnt create noise or distortion(and amps like JC120 certainly dont in clean setting, as they have a lot of negative feedback) then all it effectively is, is an amplifier and filter.
Clean isn't really clean in the way you believe.
Way to fail. Enjoy your troll food.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by lefthandman9876
go and do squeelies on your spider and never post here again.

Pfff ahhahahaa *hits squeelie* I'm a total shredder!!! lol
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by 1337void
Clean = clean.

You would do just as good buying a big fat 31-band eq plugging it straight into the PA and twinking the clean sound to your need instead of buying fancy high end amps.

The only problem is, some guitarists are too lazy and want to be spoon fed with a good sound, which a plug-straight-in amp delivers to some extent and leaves the guitarist peace of mind that his tone is good and he needen't worry about it, even though further adjustment with eq would no doubt improve it.

The point? DONT WASTE MONEY ON CLEAN AMPS. The 50s are over, no need to use expensive tube amps to get clean sounds any more other than to show off.

In fact, the complete opposite is true. Buy amps for amazing cleans and get a good pedal for dirt IMO anyway.
Could possibly be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen... but im sure there are less intelligent Br00tALz shredders that agree with this moron.
"If the blues are a living thing, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson taught it how to walk; Muddy and Howlin' Wolf taught it to run and Stevie and Eric may have made it rock but it was T-Bone Walker who made it electric."
Last edited by Blackie08 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Blackie08
im sure there are less intelligent Br00tALz shredders that agree with this moron.

i don't know about that, they probably don't even use clean channels. they just turn up the gain to full and scoop their mids (*shudder*)
Clean tone is all i strive for from an amp, that and a touch of warmth, bass, and pedals can add growl. But are you on about transparency of an amp, rather then its clean tones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul

i can't even beleive you just said that. this fails so hard.

this kid's an idiot. just look at his posts on other threads.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by Blackie08
Could possibly be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen... but im sure there are less intelligent Br00tALz shredders that agree with this moron.
Actually it's not a bad post in the sense that many people believe that the term clean means lacking distortion.
Quote by Quam Celerrime
Stupid thought is stupid.

Fix'd.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
you my friend, are the most ****ing retarded 07er ever,

go home
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by theoreticmusic

On a slightly similar note, i have a feeling your brain is simple enough to be reproduced in a lab.

To this poster, you can get bloody close, with a decent pedal, were getting closer evrey year. Solid state can do what it never used to be able to do.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
get the **** off UG.
you dont belong here.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
Quote by 1337void
Even 16-bit AD converters exceed the signal-to-noise ratio of guitar pickups, which means that tube amps by no mean have better dynamics or can even theoretically have due to noise being too high already in their input.

I would like you to elaborate on the warmth and feel as they could perhaps be important, but in order to debate over them in an academic manner, you need to define them and give examples first because they are very arbitrary words on their own(warmth could just mean more bass and feel more highs/whatever for someone uninformed like me)

Sterility also needs to be defined here because it could just mean the excess of high end(>6kHz) frequencies, which guitar speakers cut off unlike full range PA speakers.

i understand your argument for distortion and subtle overdrive over a clean sound is indeed enjoyable, but the original statement was concerning actual clean amps, like the JC120, which are incapable of producing a slight overdrive due to construction, yet remain extremely popular among (even non jazz) guitarists

If you're uninformed, don't try to make an arugement, fool.

Also, you could plug into a Spider III, hit the "insane" channel, and you got distortion. You spent 100 bucks for it, but would you be happier with a Mesa or anything else high end?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Last edited by Da Squiz at Mar 17, 2009,
To all the flamers, dont be so cruel, explain were he went wrong. Rather then berating him, which doesnt help anything.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Best thread ever, I'm throwing my Blues JR in the trash IMMEDIATELY!
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Quote by fatgoogle
To this poster, you can get bloody close, with a decent pedal, were getting closer evrey year. Solid state can do what it never used to be able to do.

You need a damned preamp. That's the point. An EQ is not a preamp. SS is perfectly capable of sounding good, but an EQ is not an f'in preamp. And I think this thread is destined for the official MatrixClaw list of epic UG threads.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ilovemySG
you my friend, are the most ****ing retarded 07er ever,

go home

btw nice choice in amps. i got the 6505+, amazing amp.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
thread reported. stay out. there's not going to be logical discussion here, so it doesn't need to exist.

Don't judge me.
Page 1 of 2