Hey guys,

I bought a Seagull S6 back in July and the strings wore out just now (I know...I'm lazy and should have changed them earlier), so I took them off and tried to replace them. The Seagull website said that they came stocked with .12 gauge strings, so I bought a pack of D'Addario .12's and proceeded to try and put them on. One problem: I can't get the bridge pin to lock...No matter what method I try to get it to lock the string in place, it stays wobbly and I cannot proceed further with restringing. Has this happened to any of you guys before?
I'd like to grow up to be Charles Thompson.

Gear:

Fender American Standard Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
put the string ball down far, then lodge the pin in, then pull the string up?
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Yeah, that's what I've been doing...Haha. When I pull it up, the pin comes unlodged (and I'm holding the pin down as I do it).

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
I'm about to give that a try.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Ok, i'm going to try to draw a picture using text to show you why it isn't locking.

Now pretend that ____ _____ represents the bridge of your guitar(from a side view) and O represents the circle of the ball.

-----O This is the string and ball
____ _____ Now pretend that hole is the space between the lines.

The circle of the ball needs to be horizonal along with the top of the guitar when you put it into the hole. If you do it the other way, in which the side without the hole is facing up, it will not lock. The ball can only lock between the pin and bridge plate if you do it in this manner.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Nope...Didn't help. It's a problem with my high e string. Whenever I push it down, it doesn't lock into place. That is to say, I can still pull the peg out with my fingers/string.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Quote by captivate
Ok, i'm going to try to draw a picture using text to show you why it isn't locking.

Now pretend that ____ _____ represents the bridge of your guitar(from a side view) and O represents the circle of the ball.

-----O This is the string and ball
____ _____ Now pretend that hole is the space between the lines.

The circle of the ball needs to be horizonal along with the top of the guitar when you put it into the hole. If you do it the other way, in which the side without the hole is facing up, it will not lock. The ball can only lock between the pin and bridge plate if you do it in this manner.

Yeah. I push it in. Put the bridge pin down. Pull the string up. No lock. I don't know what it is. I hope it isn't a defect with the guitar. Sometimes I hear it lock and I can still pull up on the string and have the pin pop right out.

Gear:

VOX AC30 CC2X
VOX Pathfinder 15R

Line 6 DL4
Vox Original Wah
Try changing the Pins, or have the Pin half way into the hole and Pull the string (medium hard) while keeping the Pin halfway. When there are no more excessive length underneath, push the Pin down and arch the whole string towards the turning pegs. Once the Pin and fully down, pull the string towards the Headstock and not straight up. If you are already doing this, sorry.
Quote by drfoongoggles
Yeah. I push it in. Put the bridge pin down. Pull the string up. No lock. I don't know what it is. I hope it isn't a defect with the guitar. Sometimes I hear it lock and I can still pull up on the string and have the pin pop right out.

It just means the string is probably rolling(as you push the string in) and the ball isn't seating correctly. It happened with my Art & Lutherie as well. The highest two strings were a bit more difficult to seat. It's a pretty normal occurrence. Just try it again. I'm very sure that it's not a product defect.

Changing pin sizes will not help because your guitar is meant for a certain size only. Larger pins may not even fit.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I had the same problem on mine. it went in but when i tightened the string it popped up, i just kept doin it over and over with different pins til it stayed. it was frustrating, but it got in eventually. Maybe try a different pin, you may have switched them up when you took them out.