I am looking for a low-wattage tube amp for general and classic rock and blues. I like the tones in Cream, Zeppelin, and Nirvana. A Tool tone would be nice, but I know thats probably out of the question for a low wattage amp. If I have to buy an OD/Distortion to achieve those tones it won't be an issue. My budget is around $500 USD.

My current equipment is an Ibanez GRG170DX, Fender Frontman 65R, Boss DD-7, and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah.

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the Blackstar HT-5, the Epiphone Valve Jr., and the Blackheart Little Giant. I'm leaning towards the HT-5 at the moment because of the higher-gain capabilities and the headphone output, as well as the ISF feature.

The Epiphone Valve Junior seems to be more blues-focused, and would probably need more equipment/modification to reach higher gain. It also has less features, which can be considered a pro or con.

I'm looking to get the half-stack head/cab combo because the bigger speaker would probably sound better.

Any suggestions?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I'm looking to get the half-stack head/cab combo because the bigger speaker would probably sound better.

Head + 1x12 cab sounds the exact same as a 1x12 combo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
combo would be best.

i have used the Head/Cab for the last 3-4 years and it's more of a hassle. a combo is just much easier to move around.

i would suggest selling the frontman aswell and maybe getting a VOX AC15. but seeing as you want tool and Nirvana tones, it may not be the best choice.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

i would suggest selling the frontman aswell and maybe getting a VOX AC15. but seeing as you want tool and Nirvana tones, it may not be the best choice.

I did plan on selling the frontman as soon as I can replace it. I was trying to stay sub-15 watts so I can get the most out of the tubes in my dorm. With that being said, I'll try to get down to the local shop and play the AC-15.

So, none of the three that I mentioned would be a good fit for me? Again, the Tool tone isn't necessary, and I'm not opposed to getting a pedal or two to achieve a Nirvana tone.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I am looking for a low-wattage tube amp for general and classic rock and blues. I like the tones in Cream, Zeppelin, and Nirvana.

Fender Blues Jr
- Get the NOS edition (~$550)

/thread
The HT-5 isn't bad, and it actually can get pretty loud. My neighbor has one. However, judging by the guitar you have, I would get a new guitar before a new amp. Spend like 400 bucks on a guitar, then sell your frontman and get an amp. The frontman should hold you over; a new guitar seems more important to me at least.
The HT-5 isn't bad, and it actually can get pretty loud. My neighbor has one. However, judging by the guitar you have, I would get a new guitar before a new amp. Spend like 400 bucks on a guitar, then sell your frontman and get an amp. The frontman should hold you over; a new guitar seems more important to me at least.

No, he's lookig for an amp.

from what I hear from YOU (which is the most important fact, i think) you tested the epi jr., and you liked the HT-5. and since you particulary liked the headphone featuure, I'd go with that oone.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by ibz_bucket

A 400 dollar guitar will not make nearly the difference a new tube amp will. Play the best guitar in the world through a low end amp, you will have a crappy sound. You play a low-end guitar through a decent amp, you will have decent sound. Unless your guitar is complete crap, that wont stay in tune or buzzes like crazy even after a pro set-up, don't replace it untill you get a decent amp.

Blues jr FTW.
why do you need a tube amp? to me, it sounds like youd be happier if you got a vox tonelab and ran it into the poweramp of the frontman
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i don't really understand why people would want to buy a combo instead of a head+cab. so its easier to move around? so what, get off your lazy ass! you can have so many combinations of speaker cabinets that take 2 seconds to switch, and with a head you can mod it way easier than a combo
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
a fender blues jr. will do you the best. Esp with a good OD pedal. It blends well with both strats and Les Pauls,overall, The Epi Half stack is good too. All three of those bands used a tube amp. ummm lets see Clapton and Page mostly used Les Pauls, but both used Fenders and Jimmy almost always recorded with a tele. Cobainwas mostly fender, so you see you reallly need a versatile tube amp, so your better off with the Blues jr. but the Epi Half stack iis good too. If you want a huge tube stack Musiciansfriend.com has a Peavy Half stack for 400 Tube 100 watts know absolutely nothing about it but All three used stacks and a marshall tube is waayyyy more than 500 bucks
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ