Hello guitar freaks!

I've just experienced my A string snapping while I was tuning it up for a C (1,5 steps). This lead me to think if there was any "golden rule" about tuning up a guitar. I know it's more common to down tune, and it leaves the guitar with much less strain aswell. In my case I've just tuned individual strings up, not all six at once.

Something in my head just says that two whole steps is the max to up tune (and down), which I recall to have read somewhere... But already at 1,5 steps it feel tough enough (Not that I even have tried tuning up two whole steps.

I know it's a weird question but if anybody has something to contribute with, I'd be glad
you need a capo, my friend.

i'm going to assume that you haven't heard of one before but i'm sure you have seen one. it looks like a big clamp-like object with rubber pads that basically bar all of the strings for you.

as a side note, you should probably avoid tuning your strings up.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
wait are you just tuning the one string?

anyway id be careful with tuning up on an acoustic. it can put stress on the top.

anyway if you are gonna play tuned up try using thinner strings to reduce the tension you are putting on the neck and top.

it all depends though, back when I was a n00b I jumped from 10's to 13's on my jagstang without every thinking what effect it could have on the neck. nothing bad happened but i certainly wouldnt try it again (without a set-up.)

also, I played dem 13's in standard tuning...... SRV....pfft.... pussy
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Please guys, be serious

I really am that sophisticated to own a capo, which I'm using in along with the weird tuning (blame Andy McKee for that ECDGAD) - It's not like my guitar have exploded as I have used this tuning now and then for months, but now the string snapped I just got thinking

It was just more a question about if someone had some interesting info about this subject.
Quote by Rallymonkey
Please guys, be serious

I really am that sophisticated to own a capo, which I'm using in along with the weird tuning (blame Andy McKee for that ECDGAD) - It's not like my guitar have exploded as I have used this tuning now and then for months, but now the string snapped I just got thinking

It was just more a question about if someone had some interesting info about this subject.

Thats most likely why it snapped. The string became weaker and weaker over time due to it being tuned up and down many many times. It probably just couldnt take the stress anymore, and took it's own life.

On an unrelated note, if you ever have to tune your low E to F#, I'd avoid it. I swear I cringe everytime I turn the key a little bit more.
Tip: Tune down to the intervals you're looking for, and then capo up to tune.

The thought alone of uptuning is enough to set my teeth on edge. It freaks me up just getting my high E to where it's supposed to be. Worst case scenario: Your neck bows, your guitar explodes, and everybody dies.
Old strings are more prone to snapping because of the wear & tear.

Generally, i'd say that you can usually tune up to about 3 semitones up without too many problems. Just make sure you do it slowly. tuning up 2 whole tones is a bit of a stretch, but definitely possible.

Also, heavier gauges generally work better for higher tunings. Medium gauge, for example.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Gotta admit that I had a subtle Homer Simpson D'oh in the back of my head when the string snapped, and yeah I figured it probably was worn anyway. The strings were several months. Also since I'm using light gauge strings I guess I have all odds against me :P

I used to keep the ECDGAD tuning in a half step lower since I was a bit sceptical about the 1,5 gap.
Up tuning is like, so terrible for your guitar it isn't even funny. Don't do it. Don't know who Andy McKee is, but he sounds retarded.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
Up tuning is like, so terrible for your guitar it isn't even funny. Don't do it. Don't know who Andy McKee is, but he sounds retarded.

You sir, are grossly misinformed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
McKee might also be playing a shorter scale guitar where the tension is a little less to begin with -- much safer then.