Page 1 of 2
Hey kids,

After many hours of overtime and a year of working two jobs while going to university, I've finally saved up enough to spend a summer in London. I'm going to be there from 21 Jun - 12 Aug, and I'm planning to fight for some of the Glastonbury re-sale tickets. Unless there's some other crazy music festivals I should know about.

All I know travel-wise so far is that I want to see Manchester, Dublin and Edinburgh. Are these bad decisions? Where else should I go? Any cities with vibrant music scenes that I need to be aware of?

What's the best way to go about doing all of this travel? Are those BritRail passes legit or are there cheaper ways to manage travel between cities? How unsafe is it for me to be travelling solo as a single female?

I don't waste time/money on anything too touristy, I'm interested in getting a feel for the cities and people. What else should I consider?
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
SPOILER: The UK is crap.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
The tickets for Reading/Leeds Fest have yet to be released. If you fancy the lineup (tba) you could try Reading.
Go visit Kensai in Sweden.
At the end of the day...
Prepare to kill
everyone.
Quote by muse_
The tickets for Reading/Leeds Fest have yet to be released. If you fancy the lineup (tba) you could try Reading.

Is there a typical genre/size difference between Reading and Glastonbury? I'm sure that's a dumb question, but I've never been to either. I've been holding my breath for the lineup for ages.

I'm sure I'll only have enough money to go to one music festival, and since I've been saving for so long I want to make sure this summer is ridiculously fun.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

*girl looks unimpressed*

UK sucks. Save your hard earned American Dollars and go to another European country that's far more cultured than ours.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

never heard of a britrail pass, Edinburgh is alright, manchester is good when sunny, dublin is a bit dull. youll be fine its all pretty safe as long as you dont go down dark alleys.
youll struggle to get glasto tickets but there are plenty of other fests.
Quote by blu_flame34
How unsafe is it for me to be travelling solo as a single female?

Chance of stabbing: 99%

I'll be travelling as single male in the UK, but then again my close combat skills put the SAS to shame.

Quote by YakunaAi
Go visit Kensai in Sweden.

As faith would have it, I'm in the UK at that time
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
ALSO, in general, how hard is it to get a paying gig in town? I'm not trying to get rich and famous, but I'm trying to mitigate some of the costs I'll likely run up. Over here, it's not too hard to get an hour-long set at a bar on some night and get $50-$100 for your time.

Quote by Kensai

So when are we getting married, is a better question?
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

Quote by blu_flame34
ALSO, in general, how hard is it to get a paying gig in town? I'm not trying to get rich and famous, but I'm trying to mitigate some of the costs I'll likely run up. Over here, it's not too hard to get an hour-long set at a bar on some night and get $50-$100 for your time.

i'd imagine it's possible, if you tried to organise it beforehand. find promoters, send demos etc and tell them when you're in the uk if they're interested.

and london + solo female + walking at night = bad, bad idea
Quote by blu_flame34
So when are we getting married, is a better question?

Just book a chapel

Yes, I'm very very easy =/
if your gonna be their you should deffinetly try to go and see france....and holland.....*ahem* amsterdam *ahem*. be careful buying drugs in the UK. its better than the stuff in America.
Quote by capsfan17
you think girls are confusing, try eating a refrigirator, now that was confusing
Quote by blu_flame34
Hey kids,

After many hours of overtime and a year of working two jobs while going to university, I've finally saved up enough to spend a summer in London. I'm going to be there from 21 Jun - 12 Aug, and I'm planning to fight for some of the Glastonbury re-sale tickets. Unless there's some other crazy music festivals I should know about.

All I know travel-wise so far is that I want to see Manchester, Dublin and Edinburgh. Are these bad decisions? Where else should I go? Any cities with vibrant music scenes that I need to be aware of?

What's the best way to go about doing all of this travel? Are those BritRail passes legit or are there cheaper ways to manage travel between cities? How unsafe is it for me to be travelling solo as a single female?

I don't waste time/money on anything too touristy, I'm interested in getting a feel for the cities and people. What else should I consider?

+1000 Profile Views
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

To give some background info for those of you who are warding me off from the UK toward other places in Europe, I've travelled around most of Western Europe for a few weeks at a time. I lived in the Middle East for some time before moving to the States, and I've never felt comfortable anywhere- the reason I've been working so hard to spend some time in London is because it was the first city I've ever felt at home at. I was pretty sure I wanted to move there after graduation, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything rash so I decided to spend a summer there beforehand to see if it's somewhere I could really see myself living for an extended period of time.

And actually I'm going to arrive there after spending a little time in continental Europe, one week in each France, Germany and Spain.

I was considering seeing a little bit of Poland, but I don't think there's enough in my budget.
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

How unsafe is it for me to be travelling solo as a single female?

I want to see Manchester, Dublin and Edinburgh.

You pretty much just answered your own question here.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Kensai
Chance of stabbing: 99%

I'll be travelling as single male in the UK, but then again my close combat skills put the SAS to shame.

see you around then
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
ok
the UK really is quite poor, everything is massivly overpriced
but if you really fancy coming here try reading and leeds, maybe glastonbury and if you like metal go download or sonisphere, sonisphere is the one for me

thats all i can think of
Quote by blu_flame34
And actually I'm going to arrive there after spending a little time in continental Europe, one week in each France, Germany and Spain.

Wow your summer is starting to look like mine. How/where will you be staying? I thought about doing some couchsurfing.

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
see you around then

Yeah, see ya!

(pretty obscure reference I know)
As a female u'll probably be ok. (stabbing wise)
Keep your head down and dont retaliate to abuse.

One of my friends is a promoter and I could put u in touch with him if you wish. I'm not sure how much u'd earn etc but i doubt it'll be more than $50 (about £30).

Reading or download are good festivals to go to at around that time. Reading will probably get sold out reli quickly. The difference between festivals is the mainstreamness of the bands. Glasto is very mainstream reading a bit rockier and download a bit more metal (though less so in recent years). Go to their sites to check them out. Also I fear reading is end of aug. Bloodstock is another festival but that is 13-15 aug, just after you leave.

I would go to camden market if you go to london. It's an interesting place but has got a bit crap recently
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Last edited by slogankid1 at Mar 17, 2009,
If your comming to scotland glasgow is good becuase its not as expensive as edinburgh, but if your a history geek like me Edinburgh will suit you better. If your wanting to go shopping/clubbing/restraunts ect glasgow is better.
Just watch out for these
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
^ Yeahhh I want to go to Glasgow as well. Thanks for that. I'm thinking I should spend like a day/two in each of these cities. I hope that's long enough to get around, I just don't want to end up travelling so much and essentially wasting my rent money by not staying in the room I'm renting in London.

Quote by Kensai
Wow your summer is starting to look like mine. How/where will you be staying? I thought about doing some couchsurfing.

Well, I'm going for a study abroad course so that takes care of some of it, and also my sister works at a Starwood hotel, which gets me discounts in Sheraton, Le Meridien and Westin locations (various others too). Sooo that's convenient. In the UK I'm staying in some uni dorms that are vacant during summertime, which I'm hoping will be a good way to meet some other travellers in my age range. AND hopefully meet strong male friends who will protect me from stabbings.

Quote by slogankid1
One of my friends is a promoter and I could put u in touch with him if you wish. I'm not sure how much u'd earn etc but i doubt it'll be more than $50 (about £30).

That would be amazing . I don't know what room there is for acoustic singer/songwriters, I'm sure there's a wealth of them around town, but I love doing music live. I do it for free a lot too, I just want to network/meet other musicians/get a little drinking money.
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

Last edited by blu_flame34 at Mar 17, 2009,
It's not too bad travelling around London as a single female. Just try not be be down any deserted street past 9.

Sonsiphere Festival is on during the 1st and 2nd of August.
Glastonbury Festival isn't that great, unless you are into indie bands etc.

I also advise you to look up 'Megabus'. You can travel from London to Aberdeen for £15, however it is a coach journey, but it's the way for students and to travel as train fares are stupidly expensive.

I'd also advise you apply for an Oyster card before you come to use in London, as it lowers the tube/train fares by a fair bit.

I don't know what else to advise. There are some good markets in London, that aren't very touristy, are you can get some original items from. Also I'd stop in Oxford Street, even though there are several tourists down there, most locals go there too to shop.
Quote by Leni
I also advise you to look up 'Megabus'. You can travel from London to Aberdeen for £15, however it is a coach journey, but it's the way for students and to travel as train fares are stupidly expensive.

Discomfort is no match for economic efficiency. I'll get into a shoebox if that will make travel cheaper .

Thanks guys, this is a ton of help! Keep any other friendly travel advice coming.
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

Quote by blu_flame34
Well, I'm going for a study abroad course so that takes care of some of it, and also my sister works at a Starwood hotel, which gets me discounts in Sheraton, Le Meridien and Westin locations (various others too). Sooo that's convenient. In the UK I'm staying in some uni dorms that are vacant during summertime, which I'm hoping will be a good way to meet some other travellers in my age range. AND hopefully meet strong male friends who will protect me from stabbings.

*hint hint*

I'm going to the east and southern england, like manchester, essex, london and brighton, then perhaps into france and onward through to either span or switzerland then to italy. Then I'm not sure.

So, your sister eh? How much discount do you get?
You have to come to Brighton when Gay Pride is on! It's the lushest day ever!

Edit: ^^ Kensai knows where it's at!
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Since a visit to Glasgow is on the cards, head on over to Kings Tut's Wah Wah Hut in the vity centre. Its one of the best venues in Scotland, and theres always something happening in there. Great wee place thats got a reputation for being the place where bands are "discovered". The atmoshpere is second to none (except perhaps the Barrowlands).

And be sure to visit the highlands of Scotland too. Places like Fort William are a bit touristy, but you can get away from that really easily. It well worth the visit if you've got the time.

You will be pretty safe as long as you don't flash your cash about, or go looking for trouble. Use common sense - don't go wandering down alleys and into seedy bars/clubs!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
You could get Craig Ferguson to protect you while in Scotland.
At the end of the day...
Prepare to kill
everyone.
Quote by Kensai
*hint hint*

That's right, fool. Pick up those weights now lest you render yourself useless to me.

And my sis can get me a room for like $50 as long as there's an opening in the city I want, which is still pretty steep for a college student but I'll be splitting it with some friends in the study abroad course.

Between Bluey and Kensai the UK will be ripped up at the end of the summer

Quote by This_Kidd
You have to come to Brighton when Gay Pride is on! It's the lushest day ever!

Sooo Brighton eh? What else is there apart from Gay Pride? Not that I'm not already sold I remember hearing some things about Brighton I just can't remember if they were good or bad .

AndyPandy, thanks for the words. I'm going to check out these places' websites and whatnot and make a vague itinerary. I don't like to plan (I really like to keep options open) but I need to make sure I take trains/buses in such a way that I minimize costs.

I wish I was rich .
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

Reading and Leeds are joint festivals, one southern and the other northern(!). They attract big names like glasto but have a history of heavier bands really. Lately this isn't so much the case as it caters largely for big indie and rock bands with some heavier acts. I believe Radiohead, Incubus, Blink-182, maybe Muse and many others (check rumour sites) are reasonably tipped bands to play. Reading is a bit smaller than glasto and Leeds a bit smaller still. If I remember correctly, the headliners will be announced a week or so before the tickets are on sale and the full lineups revealed leading up to the sales and when the tickets are made available.
You wanna try avoid traveling too far on the trains, well expensive. Flights are probably cheaper to be honest!
And you should check out Stone Henge if you go near the south west, or Avebury, coz it's less touristy and better, but not too well known.

Other than that, avoid walking around the bigger cities at night on your own.
TRANSFORMICE

Quote by Leni

Oh my God you're my new best friend. This is amazing.
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

if your after absoloutly beautifull and peacefullstuff then go to dorset. There is a place there called Tyneham, it haas loads of hostory and the cove there is beautifull. I take my guitar (my old classical that i dont giive a rats arse about and, after walking up the cliff i sit there and play.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by muse_
Reading and Leeds are joint festivals, one southern and the other northern(!). They attract big names like glasto but have a history of heavier bands really. Lately this isn't so much the case as it caters largely for big indie and rock bands with some heavier acts. I believe Radiohead, Incubus, Blink-182, maybe Muse and many others (check rumour sites) are reasonably tipped bands to play. Reading is a bit smaller than glasto and Leeds a bit smaller still. If I remember correctly, the headliners will be announced a week or so before the tickets are on sale and the full lineups revealed leading up to the sales and when the tickets are made available.

Thanks for the info. Haha I'm adjusting for time difference and getting ready to fight/aggressively click for tickets to some festival. I'm leaning toward Reading based on my musical interest, but it's hard not to be swayed by the sheer number of acts at Glastonbury.
Quote by metacarpi

*girl looks unimpressed*

The UK is most certainly overrated, but if you fancy stopping at Durham on the way to Edinburgh you can join me in a game of bowling, pool, charver baiting and dancing to 'Cotton Eye Joe.' This pretty much sums up every activity in the UK

DYNAMEDIT: I don't actually dance to Cotton Eye Joe. (I jump into skips )
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Last edited by durhamdynamo at Mar 17, 2009,
Page 1 of 2