Im trying to play standing up and it's really difficult to play chords. Like my fingers are bending at angles and i think it might be because of my fingers. I can usually play the same chords well (kinda >_> sitting down but standing is just too difficult for me but maybe it just needs practice.

Weird question now, my hand is about 18cm is this the normal size a guitar player should be >_>
Also, make sure your strap is adjusted so that your guitar is at the same height as when you sit down.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Your hand is bigger than mine... and i play 7 strings too

If its coming from standing up then wear your guitar higher, your probably wearing it stupidly low
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
dont worry, your hand isnt too small. Its hard to play standing up if you're used to sitting down, make your strap shorter so your guitar is higher up (but not so high as to look uncool - see beatles) and just keep practising, do more big stretches, it'll get easier dont worry.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I recommend practicing while standing....I only practice while standing and I play acoustic guitar at my Church and I wear my acoustic like James Hetfield wears his Explorers.
Quote by RocknRollRay
If you make a clone of yourself, then have sex with yourself,

Is it incest or masturbation?
Quote by wtf290
It's not incest, but it's not masturbation.
It'd be closer to incest than masturbation, but I don't think there's a word for it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Incesturbation?
Your hand simply can't be too small unless you're a midget.

It's just difficult for beginners to play standing.
Quote by Deep*Kick
"Hi guys, god here. My son is uber awesome at improvisation, but he can't play cover songs for the life of him. Is he gifted?"
Your hand aren't too small. The more you practice, the more flexible your fingers will get, and the further you'll be able to reach. I've got weeny girly hands, but my left hand can reach a good inch further than my right now just keep playing.
my hands are small like hell cuz im asian :laugh:
(no questioning bout my pen0r size)
wth i think chords are easier to do with small fingers
because when i watch my friends big hands play it looks kinda slow and sloppy

edit:try chromatic scales aka spidering aka stretching
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Mar 19, 2009,
i found the same problem with myself. I was very disapointed when i thought my hands are too small. just practice practice practice your hands will adjust. I found that my biggest down fall wasnt that my hands are small..it was that my pinky is tiny lol. but either way it shouldnt stop you from playing. keep stretching, and once you think you cant stretch anymore...keep stretching
Quote by Dawnwalker
my hands are small like hell cuz im asian :laugh:
(no questioning bout my pen0r size)
wth i think chords are easier to do with small fingers
because when i watch my friends big hands play it looks kinda slow and sloppy

edit:try chromatic scales aka spidering aka stretching

I have small hands too, allways envied my freinds piano fingers..
But after practicing i realised its not a problem at all.

This guy has got the right idea, just excersice. youd have to have really small hands for it to have any effect...like circus small.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
If you want a decent exercise for improving your stretching range, grab an elastic or 2 and wrap them around your 4 fretting fingers at about the 1st knuckle from the hand. Then alternate trying to spread your fingers out sideways and then relaxing them. I know it helped me a lot when it came to expanding my reach.
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar.
Quote by Freepower
Raise your guitar strap, check my posture vid.

This.

And stop making excuses, just practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I thought my hands were too small as well. They were not. I think a lot of guitarists go through this stage. When I put my hands together and stretch out my fingers my left hand I can now stretch my third finger farther than the pinky on my right hand.

edit: Oh and both my guitars are schecters. People cry about how their necks are too big but since I learned on them all other necks feel like I would break them.
Last edited by merriman44 at Mar 20, 2009,