ok, I have 4 cheap single coil pickups I got for free awhile ago. I've been keeping them in case I needed replacements in a hurry, but I probably never will.

1st off I'd like to say I have absolutely no knowledge of how this works, and Im pretty sure it wont. Thats whats making this fun for me. it will cost absolutely nothing and Im bored as all hell so Im pretty sure its worth it just to blow some time.

I was entertaining the idea of butchering the pickups into a humbucker that would probably never work in a million years, but it would be a lot of fun to screw with it anyway.

what I was thinking was this: unwinding all the pickups (none were potted, 3 were from a harmony strat, one from a complete no-name) then rewinding them (by hand) as a humbucker.

ok, heres where the craziness begins. I dont feel like buying spray enamel or melting wax, but I want to try potting them with whatever the hell I have laying around the house. so I was thinking glue (lmao roflol) I know it will probably just ruin the pickup but WTF? it cost me no money and I really dont care.

so then I had another crazy idea. the bridge pickup that is in another tele copy Im putting together has this magnet laying below the coils and basically glued in. the pickup works fine (isnt the best in the world, but it works).

so this gave me an idea. I have these super strong magnets. Idk what they are but I think they came from car parts or something. they're RIDICULOUSLY strong for passive magnets, so I was going to cut them down to fit the length/depth needed, and set it on the bottom of the humbucker at the end.

odds are, this will create ridicoulous amounts of noise, but w/ever.

what do you guys think?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Hmmm i have no idea really but you should defo try it, but you may as well get some proper enamel spray or wwhatever just in case it does work. make sure to tell us what happens
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
About the humbucker thing: The neck and middle pups of a strat (if it's RW/RP) already function as a humbucker. All you'd have to do is wire them is series instead of paralell (like they usually are).

The magnets you are talking about sound like neodymium magnets. Prolly too strong for a guitar pup unless you cut it right ir something. Idk. I wouldn't use them.

If you want to rewind the pups, by all means do it. It'll make a pretty nice pup if you use decent wire. Keep in mind, though, that rewinding a pup is a complete and total bitch. The wires are as thin as a hair and will wrap and tangle on anything in reach.
Quote by Invader Jim
About the humbucker thing: The neck and middle pups of a strat (if it's RW/RP) already function as a humbucker. All you'd have to do is wire them is series instead of paralell (like they usually are).

The magnets you are talking about sound like neodymium magnets. Prolly too strong for a guitar pup unless you cut it right ir something. Idk. I wouldn't use them.

If you want to rewind the pups, by all means do it. It'll make a pretty nice pup if you use decent wire. Keep in mind, though, that rewinding a pup is a complete and total bitch. The wires are as thin as a hair and will wrap and tangle on anything in reach.

idk, the magnets are bigger than any neodymium magnets I've ever seen (I've only seen the kind used in hard drive motors, etc.). they're shaped like cylinders, longer than a guitar pickup, and just about as thick (maybe a bit thicker). in order to turn them into a pickup, I'd have to do a significant amount of grinding and cutting, and I might loose a significant of power through that.

although from pictures I've seen they look similar to both neodymium and alnico (smooth, chrome look) I got them years ago, and I think I found them in the basement of an apartment I lived in years ago (Might've been when I lived in Pennsylvania but god I dont remember)

is there any way I can determine what they are? If they're alnico an not neodymium, I'd definitely make them into pickups.

edit:

I think that the magnets are Cow rod magnets used originally by dairy farmers. Theres a chance they might be alnico, but idk how to be sure.

got the info here http://catalog.miniscience.com/Catalog/Magnets/Cow_Magnet.html

they look EXACTLY the same as the third picture from the top in that page, which are alnico 5.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 17, 2009,
well, I decided to forego the rewinding because the pickups seem solidly wound (and they're wound pretty fat too for cheap pups).

I'm going to replace the magnet and reassemble them instead for now, and if they need potting, I'll do it later.

two questions --

1.) do I have to replace the pole pieces of the top coil with screws, or can I just leave them as regular pole pieces? I can lower all the pole pieces on both coils equally, and though the poles wont reach as high as they formerly did, they reach just high enough and I can raise the pickup to compensate 100%

2.)... this is the hard part... since I'm not using a conventional alnico bar magnet, but instead a thick cylindrical magnet -- how exactly am I supposed to grind/cut the magnet into a feasible thickness/length for the pickup?

I know the dimensions it needs to be cut to, just not HOW I can cut it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
I need to find someone with a dremel or buy one. I also need to get the parts to actually install it into a guitar (the little metal cradle things under the pickup that you screw into the guitar body)

For now Im using the cheap ceramic magnets that came with the single coils until I can properly carve up the alnico magnets.

anyway I'll try to do install it as soon as I can and get back here with more info and possibly samples.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
It won't be /free/. you'd have to get new wire.
sounds cool, though ^_^
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Heating the magnets by grinding may not be good for em. There are sources of alnico slug magnets like in many single coils. The bars magnets work good to. If you use bar magnets then you can use screws for the pole pieces. And yea it is a real pain to get all the wire off a bobbin. But the wire is important to. Some vintage pickups had this type of wire versus another and gave a different tone, just as the gauge has an effect. Im gonna imagine chinese knock offs have whatever was cheapest for materials not what was best for the job.
Quote by Tackleberry
Heating the magnets by grinding may not be good for em. There are sources of alnico slug magnets like in many single coils. The bars magnets work good to. If you use bar magnets then you can use screws for the pole pieces. And yea it is a real pain to get all the wire off a bobbin. But the wire is important to. Some vintage pickups had this type of wire versus another and gave a different tone, just as the gauge has an effect. Im gonna imagine chinese knock offs have whatever was cheapest for materials not what was best for the job.

of course... but if im looking for good tone Im buying a professionally wound pickup. Im just doing this for fun.

IDK what Im gonna do to those magnets, but I do think Im going to try to use them.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
to tell you how to cut and grind the magnet we need to know what type of magnet is and how it's calibrated. Not all magnets can be reshaped, some will even explode, and if you can reshape it then you still have to worry about whether or not it's possible to remagnetize it in the direction you need it magnetized.
Not taking any online orders.
I wouldn't cut a magnet, you can order guitar pickup magnets for around 5-10 bucks a shot. I've currently modding an Epiphone humbucker pretty wildly and have yet to be given/find advice on what I really want to try with it... but... the two pickups you have now, they're two SC's with bar mags on the bottom, right?

http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/buck/humbuck.htm

this isn't exactly what you're doing, but it'll give you some ideas.

I would suggest somehow mounting the two bobbins together on a bracket and replacing the bar mags with magnetic slugs and just wiring it in series. Simple as that.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.