well.. i like the look of a more vintage guitar and vintage guitars don't shine that much, so how can I make my les paul en stratocaster less shiny?

Bye
two ways - take a key and scratch it so its got scratches all over it and it isnt shniy anymore.
or take the paint off it and repaint it using a matt paint. And dont put a glass finish over the top. use a matt finish
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
They got like that from years of playing. You can either play the living hell outta it for the next few years, or try scuffing up the finish a little bit with some really fine sandpaper (1000 grit+)

Personally I wouldn't do anything to the finish but it's your guitar, not mine.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Personally I wouldn't do anything to the finish but it's your guitar, not mine.

Listen to him^
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
You can get "Matt" finishes applied - which I personally love. But they cost a few hundred pounds. Worth looking into if you really keen. But i had to skip that luxuary out when i got my new guitar
The easiest and cheapest way apart from just playing it to wear it down is to get very fine steel wool and scuffy the top. It would look messy up close but from a couple of feet away it would take all the shine off.

Having the guitar refinished with a stain or matte finish would give the best results, but this can run you a couple of hundred if you want it done even vaguely well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sand paper

/thread
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Don't use sand paper. I tried sanding down a poly-finished guitar neck once, it took about two hours to get down, it looked awful and very uneven, plus the noise that sandpaper on poly makes made my skin crawl.

Very fine steel wool does the same job but quicker, smoother, more consistantly and without the nasty noise.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Steel wool gauge '0000' will work as Mr Flibble says! It is also great for buffing frets.
Moving on.....
Quote by charlie__flynn
two ways - take a key and scratch it so its got scratches all over it and it isnt shniy anymore.
or take the paint off it and repaint it using a matt paint. And dont put a glass finish over the top. use a matt finish

Don't most American Strats have a matte finish so that they wear easier or something? I've seen them and they're sweet.
On Poly, a little steel wool (as mentioned) or fine grit sand paper will do the trick. Don't use much pressure, and don't just sand in one direction (you'll get distinct "lines" if you do). You might want to take the hardware off to avoid that ring of shiny finish that you can't get to right around the hardware. It won't take much work - you're not sanding through the finish, just scuffing up the clear coat to dull the finish a little (if I understand what you're wanting to do). I have a beater Squier that I use as a backup for gigs - here is my sandpaper job and light relic:

Every heard of baconing it?

The bacon fat is perfect. Cook some bacon, but don't cook it all the way, only untill its half cooked. Use the its fat and gently rub into the guitars body. It removes a bit of the poly coating on the guitars body to make it darker and less shiny.

Lifelines
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
I doubt he'll be getting the chicks if he reeks of bacon grease while rock n rolling all night and partying every day
Thats how I got ALL my chicks!
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
Quote by LifeLines
Thats how I got ALL my chicks!

Doesn't work for the Jewish or Muslim girls though. >.>
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.