I haven't been on the bandleading thread for a while! It's nice to be back.

I have a gig tomorrow, and we're playing a combination of covers and originals. Since these are new originals, i figured the setlist should go something like this:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Need it Today - Original (Modern Rock style (Velvet Revolver style?))
Some Days - Original (Rock Ballad style)
Now You See It - Original (Punk/Modern rock style)
Slither - Velvet Revolver

we pretty much have a 30 minute set to fill and other bands before us may very well finish early

the crowds here love SLTS and it gets them up. and Slither is pretty much our flagship song at the moment. we also have several other covers that we could do to fill the time, such as:

How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
Holiday - Green Day
For A Brother - Velvet Revolver

to name a few. those are the best other songs at the moment. i was out of the country 2 weeks ago, and school has been crazy since then, so we're not quite as prepared as we would like. But we have more than enough material for the half hour.

any advice would be very welcome!
I love Nirvana, but Id cut out SLTS just because its a safeway, and you dont wanna do the song a lot of other bands do just to get the crowd reaction.

I had that same problem in high school, so instead of doing SLTS, we did a Nirvana medley that started with SLTS, the crowd ended up liking it more, so maybe you could talk about that

Theyre not hard to put together, as long as you guys know the songs already
I agree with a lot of what scottss7 says.

Any chance you can give us some background on the gig? is it a battle of the bands? in a pub? birthday?
silverchair, we're the only ones here who play that song. but cool idea!

oh no, we don't base out band around any other band. just that song happens to sound like a VR style. it's the closest thing i could think of to give you an idea.

but yeah, i like the idea of opening and closing with our stuff. good idea. however, the only problem is noone's ever heard these songs before. and at previous gigs, we've always left a great impression with that song. the people here know slither as, the song Something to Give (our band) plays.

the gig is in a gym... kind of a mini festival? idk, but there are several other bands there. maybe a BotB format i suppose, with no competition.

lol... they're overplayed, but good songs nonetheless. i live in saudi arabia. there are very few bands here. so noone plays eachother's covers. and these people don't know cliche when it punches them in the face. so we feel it's alright.

no, sorry. no myspace. we need to get back into the studio. we've recorded one song, but then again, it wasn't recorded amazingly. i think its on my profile somewhere. but once we get more stuff recorded, we'll get a myspace.
Quote by scottss7

You should be so proud of you're own songs that you open and close with those. opening/closing with covers is a cop out imo.

This is the only thing I disagree with. My band opens with "Dirty Reggae" by The Aggrolites with a fair degree of frequency. It's a fantastic song to open with, full of energy and crowd participation and we've had our way with it, added our own horn parts, and wrote it into an optional opening skit thing we do (Start playing Enter Sandman even though we're ska reggae, the trombonist gets mad saying he was in this band to "Play some f*cking thrash metal!" etc and then we segue into Dirty Reggae). We have another song similar to it, but we like to close with an original.

I guess what i'm saying is that opening with a cover is not necessarily a cop out. Maybe closing, but if you kind of make it your own, opening with a cover is fine.
Don't play any Velvet Revolver, they had their ten minutes of fame. But now it's done (not saying that I'm any better for you people out there!)
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
^^ so you're only saying play active bands? that rules out massive loads of music for covering right there. It's just like saying, don't play any Beatles covers.

Edit: regardless that the Beatles were MUCH bigger...
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Mar 19, 2009,
i say open with your own material
orrrrrrrr
have an extract of a cover song basically do the songs intro and merge into one of your own
for example my band does salt n pepper but then fades into one of our own songs
works well
Quote by Sonic Blast
^^ so you're only saying play active bands? that rules out massive loads of music for covering right there. It's just like saying, don't play any Beatles covers.

Edit: regardless that the Beatles were MUCH bigger...

No I'm saying that Velvet Revolver has passed. Very few people listen to them now, and they were huge about a year or so ago. People still love the Beatles bro, but the Velvet Revolver train has passed and is long gone. Just like Billy Talent lol .
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by pengiunman
No I'm saying that Velvet Revolver has passed. Very few people listen to them now, and they were huge about a year or so ago. People still love the Beatles bro, but the Velvet Revolver train has passed and is long gone. Just like Billy Talent lol .

Very few people still listen to most of my favorite bands on a popular basis
In fact, I may be one of the only kids in school who listens to Motorhead and Rush every single day.
People still dig Velvet Revolver song's slither from time to time is. But the funny thing is, I found with high school kids, they don't really give too much of a **** what other songs your playing so long as you have one they all recognize. Than the rest of the set depends on how awesome you are. - seriously-
So just get up there and rock out.
Personally I would recommend opening and closing with originals but... eh...
Good stuff guys. Thanks.

We weren't as prepared as we would have liked. We didn't open with an original, sadly. but we played one next. we cut the ballad type original, due to not being comfortable enough with it. We did end up with slither due to the audience wanting it, and it's stupid to tune to drop D and then back. We really thought about not playing it, but we were yelled at to do so.

also, that gig is also the reason for the Cold Hands On Stage thread.
Quote by Sonic Blast
Good stuff guys. Thanks.

We weren't as prepared as we would have liked. We didn't open with an original, sadly. but we played one next. we cut the ballad type original, due to not being comfortable enough with it. We did end up with slither due to the audience wanting it, and it's stupid to tune to drop D and then back. We really thought about not playing it, but we were yelled at to do so.

also, that gig is also the reason for the Cold Hands On Stage thread.

Ok well if they wanted you to play it that's a different story.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster

I say How Far We've Come. Matchbox Twenty are more post-grunge than Velvet Revolver will ever be and if you're going for the grungy crowd-that's what you want.