A guitar £1000 or below that can do heavy tones as a humbucker would, but also give the bright/twangy tones a strat can give?

I basically just want to be able to play metal, but i also love the tone from a strat, can anyone help me find a guitar that does both?

Thanks a bunch
the washburn idol series have voice contour control, which is like a built in coil tap, and they play realy well . also depending on which one they are less than $1000
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
my guitar does that for 750 i think is what i paid
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
A strat HSS would do the trick. The humbucker will give you any badass metal sound you want, but you can switch to that lovely Stratocaster signature twang any time you want. Don't be fooled by the price to think that it's a noob guitar, it's not. Ive been playing one for three years now, and it hasn't failed me in any way yet; i play everything from jazz and funk, to hardcore alternative thrash like Tool, to classic rock and roll like Led Zeppelin, to dreamy melancholy pop like Thomas Dybdahl and Sigur Ros, to psychidelic Jimi Hendrix stuff, to extravagant glam rock like Guns n Roses, not to mention I love messing around with wierd harmonixs and feedbacks and stuff, this guitar will do anything...
I realise it probably be a coil tap to go for, but which coil-tapped guitar would get closest to a strat single coil type tone?
Quote by Robert I.
A strat HSS would do the trick. The humbucker will give you any badass metal sound you want, but you can switch to that lovely Stratocaster signature twang any time you want. Don't be fooled by the price to think that it's a noob guitar, it's not. Ive been playing one for three years now, and it hasn't failed me in any way yet; i play everything from jazz and funk, to hardcore alternative thrash like Tool, to classic rock and roll like Led Zeppelin, to dreamy melancholy pop like Thomas Dybdahl and Sigur Ros, to psychidelic Jimi Hendrix stuff, to extravagant glam rock like Guns n Roses, not to mention I love messing around with wierd harmonixs and feedbacks and stuff, this guitar will do anything...

Seconded.
~Gear~
'96 Fender Strat MIM
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender '70s Reissue Strat

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
4x12 Marshall AVT Cab
Marshall AVT50 Combo
Quote by Robert I.

Ah cheers ill look into that

Quote by dixie_nourmous
coil taps?

Push-pull knobs?

yeh i know my washburn used to have one

Oh yeh dont PRS have a fancy pickup switching system too?
Last edited by vitchb at Mar 17, 2009,
HSS strat/superstrat is probably your best bet, as long as you don't need the strat bridge single coil tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If one more person says coil tap I'm actually going to have to start killing people.

A coil split is when you cut off one of the coils in a humbucker to make it sound more like a singlecoil. A coil tap is when you lower the output of a singlecoil pickup.

Anyway OP, it sounds like you need the following:

- Neck and bridge humbuckers made with pole pieces rather than the usual bar magnets.
This means when you split the humbucker (cut off one coil), the coil that is left is constructed exactly the same way as a normal singlecoil pickup is. This gives a much better sound than a regular humbucker coil split, much closer to a real singlecoil pickup.
The most common humbucker of this type is a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag pickup. It's made with Alnico II pole pieces and is very overwound for a high output. This means it has the maximum humbucker drive of a 'metal' pickup but it has a vintage tone to it that means it's singlecoil mode doesn't sound like trash. It's mostly aimed towards hard rock though it should be just about good enough for actual metal playing too. They only make a version of this for the bridge position.
The other option I'm aware of, and the one I prefer, is the Swineshead AMP humbucker. It's made with Alnico V pole pieces and is more evenly wound. This means it's actual humbucker output is a little bit lower but it's tone is more modern. They make this for both neck and bridge positions. Swineshead are also very good at custom orders, they don't advertise it on their website anymore but if you e-mail them with an inquiry and explain fully what you want, they can usually make anything for you (e.g. perhaps they could make a bridge position AMP pickup that was higher output and wound with a little more bass for a better full humbucker metal tone). However custom orders obviously do end up costing quite a lot, and I doubt you'd need it anyway.
There may be other companies making similar pickups too but those are the only two that I am personally aware of and have tried. Of the two, I prefer the Swineshead AMP as the drop in output barely makes any difference and the tone is a little clearer, but when I have tried the Seymour Duncan Stag Mag, that has been okay too.

- Balanced or slightly warm-toned body.
Balance would be alder. Very warm and deep would be mahogany. In between would be korina (directly in between) or basswood (in between Korina and alder). Personally, I would recommend alder if the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard, or basswood or korina if the neck has an ebony or maple fretboard, though any combination of these woods would probably be fine. I believe mahogany would be a little too dark-toned. Ash would be a bit too bright-toned.

- Balanced fretboard and hardware.
See above for what I mean about balancing the fretboard.
Hardware isn't such a big deal, but it does make a bit of a difference. For example, a graphite nut has a warmer tone than a bone nut. A steel Original Floyd Rose with locking nut has a brighter tone than a Schaller Floyd Rose and locking nut which is made of brass. These don't matter for getting both good humbucker and singlecoil tones as the pickup and wood choice does, but you should keep this stuff in mind.

Nearly every brand like ESP, Jackson, Ibanez and so on make guitars that fit within those specs. Alder and basswood are both very common body woods. Many of these guitars already come with coil split controls installed so all you'd need to do is swap the existing pickups for more suitable Stag Mag/AMP pickups (or maybe you'd even be happy with the stock pickups, depends just how close to a real singlecoil tone you want to get).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Cheers for that ^ Ill look more into it. I'm liking the look of the HSS, i just want something with the strat characteristics, excentuated slides, spill over gain sound... mostly neck pickup stuff i think.
Quote by MrFlibble
If one more person says coil tap I'm actually going to have to start killing people.

A coil split is when you cut off one of the coils in a humbucker to make it sound more like a singlecoil. A coil tap is when you lower the output of a singlecoil pickup.

i said tap/split. you mad?
Quote by MrFlibble

you can tap humbuckers too, but you're right, it's different from a split, it's using both the coils.

only concern i would have with the AMP and stag mag (having not tried them ) is that i'd be wary that the humbucker tones might not be as accurate as a "true" humbucker... bit like the way that split 'buckers rarely sound as good as "real" single coils. As i said, though, i haven't tried them, so could be way off.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?