*he uses ESP
HIM
*he used to use jackson
*when his guitar sound was better :P
*coincidentally
ME?
*yeah but then fender bought jackson
*and ESP made him
*also you know theyd sound exactly the same cos they both have the same pickups in or something?
*hes obviously happy with ESP
HIM
*nah, they are made different
*the ESPs have a different shape which alters the resonance
*they have a bigger body

Basically, does the shape of a guitar alter its sound...because I was under the Impression that Laihos ESP guitars were like the same as his Jacksons, and due to similar/same pick-ups (EMGs) they would sound exactly the same...or what?

And are Laiho's ESP guitars better, or his old Jacksons?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I couldn't tell you about Alexi Laiho, but I always thought it was the body mass itself (how thick or large it is) that would alter the resonance. That's why an SG sounds nothing like a Les Paul although they are both made of mahogany.
~Gear~
'96 Fender Strat MIM
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender '70s Reissue Strat

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
4x12 Marshall AVT Cab
Marshall AVT50 Combo
Yes, it does alter the sound. The wood and shape is one of the most important aspects to the tone of a guitar.

I prefer Jackson over ESP, but his new ESP is quite good and the way ESP is developing is really progressive and I'm starting to view thenm, overall, with higher regard. Maybe they will be my next guitar... after a Godin... after a PRS... after a Fender... after a Gibson...
it makes a difference in sustain

by that i mean the more of the guitar there is to vibrate, the less the resistence for the string to keep on ringing
Quote by geeve420
only one solution..........rape, but not from you cause that's just wrong. Go into town and hire someone.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

I prefer Jackson over ESP, but his new ESP is quite good and the way ESP is developing is really progressive and I'm starting to view thenm, overall, with higher regard. Maybe they will be my next guitar... after a Godin... after a PRS... after a Fender... after a Gibson...

lol this is going straight to the sig ^^ -1 to ESP
Quote by geeve420
only one solution..........rape, but not from you cause that's just wrong. Go into town and hire someone.
Hmmm well yeah. I prefer ESPs but meh.

The ESP is just a tiny bit bigger than the Jackson, like a slighter fatter horn, so it would only make a minimal difference I woouldve thought.

Godins are awesome, Pendulums guitarist uses one

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I want the Redline 2 from Godin in Amberflame.

You can't use that as a sig, I didn't spell anything right and it's all worded poorly!
Dont worry i only used a bit due to it being too long ^^
Quote by geeve420
Apart from the obvious effects of a thicker/wider/longer/etc body making the tone deeper and adding sustain, you also need to take into account different brands using different species and grades of wood, as well as the body construction.

There's more to body wood than just 'alder', 'mahogany', etc. Honduras mahogany sounds different to Brazilian mahogany. Grade A Sel alder will sustain longer and have a clearer tone than Grade D alder. A body made of one piece of wood will have a brighter tone, more sustain and weigh less than a body made of two or three pieces. An alder guitar with a bolt on maple neck will sound deeper than an alder body with a neck-through construction maple neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Will such differences in Laihos ESP and Jackson really alter the sound as dramatically as the guy said though, or did Laiho change amps or what?

People have this misconception that when you purchase the same guitar and the same amp that your 'hero' uses, you instantly have his tone at your fingertips (I'm not saying you have, by the way).
It's important to remember that most of the tone you hear on a record has actually been corrected and aided from the legs up by excellent engineering and producing. Even live there are many distinctive avenues you have to think about it when trying to mimic their tone. It's why I never bother trying to sound like anyone else.
I've just bought a Framus Dragon - the amplifier Killswitch Engage use - and then I'm going to get a guitar with high output pickups. I won't sound like them. Sneap is the genius that makes it sound so good.
Not just that but also every single piece of timber sounds different, even if it was cut from the same tree. Every pickup is also different, even if they were made on the same day in the same factory to the same specification.

So even if you did buy the guy's signature guitar, you bought the same amp he has, used the same pedals, went to the same recording studio and used all the same set-up he did, you still wouldn't get his exact tone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Not just that but also every single piece of timber sounds different, even if it was cut from the same tree. Every pickup is also different, even if they were made on the same day in the same factory to the same specification.

So even if you did buy the guy's signature guitar, you bought the same amp he has, used the same pedals, went to the same recording studio and used all the same set-up he did, you still wouldn't get his exact tone.

You'd get pretty damn close though.

Behold - All the gear Alexi ever used to record COB's studio albums

EDIT - it also has his gear from various live shows and Sinergy albums.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Mar 17, 2009,